• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nyala

ringo said:
Does the Nyala have portal axles?

Nope.... Straight Axles without Hub Reduction with conventional Spicer Driveshafts and Dual Cardan Front Axle Shafts.

The Mamba did come with Portals also complete with Torque Tubes similar to its UNIMOG cousin.

Also, the Mamba uses a Coil Spring suspension which is pretty sloppy on the road, whereas the Nyala uses a more conventional and stiffer riding Leaf Spring set-up.

I've spent a great deal if time in both versions (Recce Driver in Bosnia and Recce Det Comd in Af'stan) and 2023 and I know what it takes to roll one :D

Being an off-road savvy in my private time, I contemplated what efforts would be required to install Mamba Portals under my Jeep :)

2023 brings up some good points about this platform up top. It has its limitations. The suspension will not handle rediculous speeds over rough terrain. It will either break or turn the occupants into soup. My Nyala went through no less than 5 leaf springs, a complete replacement of the rear spring hangar and we replaced shocks bolts on a daily basis. We also consumed between 10 and 15 tires over the course of 6 months. Keeping all of this in mind, my vehicle was on the road damn near every day and was being taken in places where we would have wrecked almost anything else in the fleet, or it wouldn't have fit. Fuel was less of a problem for my Roto as the mixtures were getting much cleaner than the Roto 0 guys. Actually, although the picture I painted above sounds bleak, keep this in mind. We always made it home under our own power including the episode where one of my leaf springs came apart on Blue Route :) Only once was I not able to roll out the gate as planned, because the air system had a stuck valve and wouldn't fully charge.

It will provide a level of protection from IED's and Mines that is second to none. Then again, increased vigilance, studying local habits, and a whole host of other things may do more for your safety than any amount of armour.

Saw the other day that the Government has ordered an additional 25 Nyala's.

tomahawk6 said:
Saw the other day that the Government has ordered an additional 25 Nyala's.

Wow it's interesting how fast we can get kit when someone is convinced that we need it. I had never heard of these vehicles in our inventory till I saw one on TV the other night. It's a pretty slick little piece of kit....and if it saves lives then all the better.

Hopefully we can get some helicopters and other badly needed kit a little faster too.

Mamba became Nyala - also known as RG 31
have been in service with the CME since the mid 90s
good piece of kit.....

you should listen to your sappers more often ;)

geo said:
Mamba became Nyala - also known as RG 31

Are these not two completely different vehicles?  The same family, but different versions, with the Nyala being much larger than the Mamba.

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/article/article.php?forumID=442

GD Awarded $31M Contract for RG-31 Mine Protected Vehicles for the Canadian Military

Category: Defence Industry

The Government of Canada has awarded a CAD $31 million (US $28 million) contract to General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada to provide 25 additional RG-31 Mine Protected Vehicles. General Dynamics Land Systems, the Canadian company's parent corporation, is a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).

This order is an option to a contract originally awarded in November 2005 that called for the delivery of 50 RG-31 vehicles. Vehicle deliveries were completed in April 2006. Deliveries of the additional 25 vehicles will occur from September to November 2006.

Under this contract, General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada provides program management and engineering and logistics support while BAE Land Systems OMC of South Africa manufactures the vehicles. The vehicles incorporate a Kongsberg Protector M151 Remote Weapon Station equipped with a day and night sighting system, which allows the operator to fire the weapon while remaining protected within the vehicle.

The RG-31 tactical vehicle offers enhanced mine blast resistance as well as protection against both improvised explosive devices and ballistic threats. The vehicles, currently being used by the Canadian Forces in their operations in Afghanistan, have already proven their worth when an RG-31 survived a significant roadside bomb explosion earlier last month.

General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada has also completed deliveries of 148 RG-31 vehicles to the U.S. Army in fulfillment of a 2005 contract. In addition, the vehicles have been extensively used by NATO forces in the former Yugoslavia as well as by the United Nations in Lebanon, Georgia, Syria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Kosovo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-31

The RG-31 Nyala is multi-purpose mine-protected vehicle made by Land Systems OMC in South Africa, based on the same manufacturer's Mamba APC. The vehicle’s V-shaped monocoque welded steel hull and high suspension are designed to resist a blast equivalent to two TM-57 anti-tank mines detonating simultaneously.

The RG-31 has become the multi-purpose vehicle of choice of the UN and other peacekeeping and security forces. It is finding favour with nongovernmental organisations requiring a vehicle with a non-aggressive appearance to protect their personnel against the threat of landmines.
Production history
[edit]
Variants
RG-31 Nyala - based on Mamba APC
RG-31 Charger - US Army version with US diesel engine
RG-31M - new design with reduced vehicle signature, combat weight: 8 400kg, crew of 5 and payload area
[edit]
Operators
Canada 43 (50 on order with option for extra 25)
Colombia 4 RG-31 Nyala
Rwanda 6 RG-31 Nyala
South Africa
UN 30 RG-31 Nyala
United Kingdom
United States 10 RG-31 Charger (148 ordered)
Blackwater Security
[edit]
Combat history
Afghanistan - Canada
Bosnia / Herzegovina - UN
Ethiopia / Eritrea - Canada
Georgia - UN
Iraq - United States
Kosovo - UN, United Kingdom
Lebanon - UN

Country Of Origin: South Africa
Designation: Armoured Personnel Carrier
Configuration: 4 x 4
Manufacturer: Land Systems OMC
Length: 6.40 m
Width: 2.47 m
Height: 2.63 m
Wheel Base: 3.40 m
Ground Clearance: 322 mm
Angle of Approach: 40°
Angle of Departure: 35°
Weight: 7.28 t
Speed: 100 km/h
Range: 900 km
Armament: .50 cal heavy MG
Power plant: Option 1: Daimler-Benz OM 352A, 6 cylinder diesel, 123 HP
Option 2: Iveco Tector F4AE0681D diesel
Crew: 11

Armybucko41
You can get portal axles for the Landrover from Australia, can’t remember the name of the company, but come the lottery, I will have a 90 TDI with them attached!

George Wallace said:
Are these not two completely different vehicles?  The same family, but different versions, with the Nyala being much larger than the Mamba.
Not completely different.  The Nyala is just a bit longer and wider in the beam, but that was necessary to improve the power train.  The Mamba was as slow as molasses when in the hills of FRY.

qjdb said:
note the dates on some of those pics?  Have we had these for a while?  Were we borrowing them from someone else or something?
GO!!! said:
The CF has had a slightly older version called the "Mamba" for several (at least 8) years now.
There are actually three types of vehicle:
1. Mamba Mine Protected Vehicle
2. Nyala RG-31 Mine Protected Vehicle
3. Nyala RG-31 Armoured Patrol Vehicle

The first two vehicles were bought in limited numbers for Engineers to use in route recce (Mamba first, then later it was replaced by the Nyala).  The third vehicle is the one being introduced into service over the last few months.

The Mamba is still in the inventory, but it no longer sees operational duty (it has become a trg vehicle passed between CERs).  The Nyala MPV is still in operational service (there were three in Afghanistan long before the Nyala APVs started to arrive) but I have been told they are near the end of their operational lives & will be replaced by the APVs.

Nyala MPV is different from the Nyala APV in that the APV has a remote weapon system.....

geo said:
Nyala MPV is different from the Nyala APV in that the APV has a remote weapon system.....
There are other things under thew hood.  The guys we had qualified on the old vehicle were not permitted to drive the new models without re-taking the course.

Interesting.  I knew of the differences between Mamba and Nyala but not briefed on differences between New & Old Nyala (xcept RWS).
Guess that the vehicle continues to evolve as lessons are learnt.

If only we could get them delivered with black-out lights & something to block observation into the troop compartment (no need to leave everyone able to see which vehicle is moving the VIP).

MCG blackout is coming (right now they are pulling the fuses), along with some other mods.

MCG said:
If only we could get them delivered with black-out lights & something to block observation into the troop compartment (no need to leave everyone able to see which vehicle is moving the VIP).
maybe we can get the windows tinted so people can't have a look inside.

geo said:
maybe we can get the windows tinted so people can't have a look inside.

And maybe some kewl spinner rims, and a lowering kit, maybe a rad airride system.....yo, werd  ;D

Back