• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NZ Olympic Soccer Team Accuse CAN Team of UAV Spying

Glad you guys don't remember the 1983 America's cup when a Canadian diver (who may or may not have been from HMCS DONNACONA, Wink! Wink!) tried to spy on Australia's new keel design (it had side wings).

Top level sport is top level sport, Mate!

The real question is: does anyone actually care about soccer at the Olympics? Just looking at the teams who qualified, it is pretty apparent that a lot of the more successful nations are not present.

There are many people (myself included) who probably would have never realized that the Canadian women's team had qualified had it not been for this incident.

The real question is: does anyone actually care about soccer at the Olympics? Just looking at the teams who qualified, it is pretty apparent that a lot of the more successful nations are not present.

There are many people (myself included) who probably would have never realized that the Canadian women's team had qualified had it not been for this incident.
They won the gold medal last time. I suspect that soccer is probably the most popular sport in the world so I would say yes. More people watch soccer than hockey or football.

That bastion of ethics in football, FIFA, deducts points from Canada for unethical behaviour.

Surely you jest.....

FWIW elite sports is not about sportsmanship. IF other countries thought they could get away with this, they would as well.

It's a punitive penalty. Canada should appeal the point deduction and have it reduced to 3 (the points they got from beating New Zealand). Priestman should be banned for life from Canada Soccer before the appeal so it shows we're taking it seriously.

They won the gold medal last time. I suspect that soccer is probably the most popular sport in the world so I would say yes. More people watch soccer than hockey or football.
Yeah, I just read that in an article. It was the first I heard of it. I'm not doubting that soccer is popular, I'm just saying that the Olympics don't seem to be as nearly as competitive as other international competitions.

Yeah, I just read that in an article. It was the first I heard of it. I'm not doubting that soccer is popular, I'm just saying that the Olympics don't seem to be as nearly as competitive as other international competitions.
Generally it’s because professional athletes are not always allowed to play either because of the Olympic rules or the premiere leagues won’t let their players go.

The NHL in recent years won’t release their players for the Winter Olympics. I imagine it is similar for some soccer leagues. But even hockey in Winter Olympics is not exactly that popular outside of a few countries.

But for many other sports the Olympics are the the pinnacle of their particular fields.

Last edited:
The NHL in recent years won’t release their players for the Winter Olympics. I imagine it is similar for some soccer leagues. But even hockey in Winter Olympics is not exactly that popular outside of a few countries.
International "caps" are huge in soccer. Top tier leagues actually have breaks set aside in their schedules for major competitions. Europe wouldn't be able to attract talent if they blocked out Olympics/World Cup. North Americans are very different when it comes to Olympics and World Championships, there's a bit of arrogance in that the NHL Stanley Cup is "better".

International "caps" are huge in soccer. Top tier leagues actually have breaks set aside in their schedules for major competitions. Europe wouldn't be able to attract talent if they blocked out Olympics/World Cup. North Americans are very different when it comes to Olympics and World Championships, there's a bit of arrogance in that the NHL Stanley Cup is "better".
Cause its true ;)

The pros/cons of sport related intelligence gathering aside . . .

Paris Drone Law​

The whole metropolitan area of Paris is a No Fly Zone. Flying a drone in Paris is punishable by imprisonment and/or a €75,000 fine. Operators must ensure that they follow the following the laws if intended use drone in Paris.

If you wish to fly with the best caution we suggest you check the Map of No Flight Zones in France
  • Do not fly your drone over people or large crowds
  • Respect other's privacy when flying your drone
  • Do not fly your drone over airports or in areas were aircraft are operating (5 mi / 8 km radius)
  • You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
  • Do not fly your drone in sensitive areas including government or military facilities. Use of drones or camera drones in these areas are prohibited

Well, hell, I could replace "fly your drone" with "drop your pants" and it would still make sense.

Penalizing the whole team is a form of collective punishment, particularly of players who didn't know or didn't approve.

Well, hell, I could replace "fly your drone" with "drop your pants" and it would still make sense.
I wonder if the French taunted her as she left?

taunt GIF

Back