• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Off-duty medic highway hero

Starlight31 said:
Cool beans..  Just making sure.. You never know... I know of a guy who stole a De-fib.... all because he read up on ECG's??? 

Me thinks I know to whoom you are refering...if it's the same one he didn't stop there...

Don't laugh...

I knew a medic who carried a jumpbag, spineboard and collar in the back of his pickup.....Seriously.

I carry medical supplies and Collars....

I have used on a number of occasions at MVC's to and from work in uniform, covers me on the liability bit.

Jump bag, KTD no collar (good idea though :D) definitely no board. I can't fit that into my tiny car ;D

Collar is playing with trouble!! C Spine, D Spine, (Or what ever we are going to call it today) has to be maintained!!! If you deligate, and something happens... You are still responsible... KED is a cool kit, but so is manual stabilization!!! and a calm voice.  If you can afford this kit (Wow), if you are not buying it!!! (Ummm,  ::) ) K.I.S.S. really applies at most MVA's or MVI's.  Responce times are pretty quick.  We are here to prevent further injury... and sometimes in our haste to prove our worth, we might hurt!!!

My 2 cent's..  Anyone who is driving with a back board in the truck?? I really hope they are not the one who stops to work on me... They mean well... But they are never wrong!! Trust me.. I have to many Ptes, Cpls, MCpls, Sgts that have worked for and with me with the attitude.  I Have had that same attitude a long time ago as well!!  We all do at some point to some lvl.. Some more than others...

Still, C-Spine is easier to control with a collar on.
And with multiple pt's to triage, collars are put on in order to assess all pt's.
Not the most ideal, but sometimes necessary.

Collars...we have an exchange of equipment up here of equal value.(Gets around the where do they come from question)

Starlight31 said:
Collar is playing with trouble!! C Spine, D Spine, (Or what ever we are going to call it today) has to be maintained!!! If you deligate, and something happens... You are still responsible... KED is a cool kit, but so is manual stabilization!!! and a calm voice.  If you can afford this kit (Wow), if you are not buying it!!! (Ummm,  ::) ) K.I.S.S. really applies at most MVA's or MVI's.  Responce times are pretty quick.  We are here to prevent further injury... and sometimes in our haste to prove our worth, we might hurt!!!

I like collars :D it makes those ODD C-spine positions in an MVA that much more manageable. Obviously it's tough to do C-spine lessons in a pinch, but I've had a bystander with no training take over C-spine for me, and she did great. I went on to do the rest of my assessment no problemo.

Who said I could afford ALL of them ;) just some of the kit. But stuff like the KTD are useful especially if you drive LONG miles on deserted highways and the nearest Amb crew is 1-2 or 2-3 hrs away by land.

That's why before I do ANYTHING, I take a deep breath stand back and watch. Not long but just for a good 15-30 seconds. Size it up, and then move in. Game plan mate, it's all about your game plan :D

Back