• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Off topic: something I care about...

jzaidi1

Inactive
Reaction score
Citing this article.  How can people be so cruel as to microwave a helpless animal.  My suggestion, Microwave the young men for 10 minutes while we all stand around and laugh - now that is justice!!

Sorry - just ticked off at these idiots.

J
-------------------------------
http://www.thestar.com/article/437329

Boys plead guilty in microwave cat killing
TheStar.com - Canada - Boys plead guilty in microwave cat killing

Animal took 10 minutes to die, Alberta court told

June 05, 2008
Shannon Montgomery
The Canadian Press

CAMROSE, Alta.–Two teenage boys have pleaded guilty to breaking into a home in central Alberta and putting a pet cat into the microwave, leaving it there despite hearing screams of pain for the 10 minutes it took the animal to die.

The two boys, aged 15 and 16, were set to begin trial yesterday on robbery and animal cruelty charges in Camrose youth court.

Instead, they pleaded guilty to breaking into a house on two different nights last December while the family was out of town, smashing possessions and stealing things. They also admitted to causing unnecessary pain and suffering to an animal by killing Princess on the second night.

"The household pet, a cat, was picked up, placed in a microwave and the microwave was turned on for a substantial amount of time," Crown lawyer John Laluk read from an agreed statement of facts.

The cat was described as screaming as it was slowly cooked.

"After 10 minutes, the sounds diminished and the cat ... died."

Several people in the courtroom gasped as the description was read aloud.

Laluk went on to say that on their way out of the house, the teens scrawled several messages on the walls. "You had a nice cat," read one, while another suggested the homeowners look in the microwave.

The two teens stood silently next to their lawyers as Laluk spoke.

Outside court, Laluk said the plea agreement was reached a few days ago. There was one motivation behind the reversal, he said.

"Remorse. Just flat-out remorse."

News of the cat's death shocked many. Protesters have followed the case through the justice system, waving signs demanding justice for Princess.

Chris Millsap, who represented the 15-year-old boy, said his client's family was forced to move from the community after the crime became public.

The lawyer for the 16-year-old boy declined comment.

Laluk said it's not yet clear what kind of sentence the two boys will receive. Under Bill S-203, passed in April, the maximum penalty for animal cruelty was increased to five years in prison and a fine of $10,000, up from six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

I remember when this happened... So very horrible.  First off, that's how serial killers start...
I remembered I hugged my cats (I had two at that time, I have three now!) after I read it and it's the reason I lock my door whenever I leave my house!! (I live in a very close knit community and neighbourhood! Nobody locks their doors.)
I really wish that the laws were stricter when it comes to animal abuse and torture.  My one cat was abused by his owner when he was 5 months old (he's only 9 months old now). The sicko broke all his legs, broke his jaw, and the base of his tail. One of the legs were so shattered that it had to be amputated.  My cat (Baz) was taken from the owner, and the owner (a man.) confessed to what was done to the poor kitten.  He was given 6 months probation and a fine. That's it. (it sickens me.)
What people do to animals, should be done to them.  However, with that said I feel I sound horrible.  (Thievery means you have a hand chopped off? I think everyone understands what I mean when I say that.) but the crimes, abuse and torture of innocent animals will never end because the laws are far too soft!!

dukkadukka: you bring up a very good point.  Irrespective if people are cat lovers or cat haters, abuse of an animal (as you've mentioned) is an indicator of very sick behavior, perhaps psychotic.  It must be dealt with, lest it get beyond control (as if microwaving a cat isn't already beyond control), but I think you know what i mean.

To some degree I feel that 'good' citizens must take it upon themselves to enforce their own moral judgements.  It is not sick, nor horrible to wish upon the pain of your enemy what they have inflicted on others.  Having said that, I believe that the justice system must have it's due process followed.

Personally, I feel these boys should be jailed for life on the presumption that this incident leads down the path to more victims.  What kind of crazy mind takes pleasure in slowly and brutally killing (or harming) an innocent animal.

No good can come of this - jail them for life.  My extreme view is stick 'em in a giant oven or microwave for 10 minutes and let the world watch them feel the pain they inflicted.  Or you could always use them as walk-ahead mine clearance for our armoured vehicles in Afghanistan.

J

Fireball said:
Or you could always use them as walk-ahead mine clearance for our armoured vehicles in Afghanistan.

Perfect!  I like it!!!

Poeple do enough horrible things to one another, but to take a defenceless animal and tortore it like this is just plain, well there's no word harsh enough in the english language for it!!!!

Well I know how the government should deal with these two....

First they build a giant novelty microwave....etc etc

This is where I completely believe that the law is not tough enough  even if they accused gets the five years its not enough .  I think some one else said it best they should receive the same treatment as there punishment  .   
                I really feal for the poor cat how any one can inflict that much pain for no reason whats so ever to another living thing is beyond me . 

See i think the problem here is, its just our human compassion that the outrage at this.  The problem is, its a fine line to tread, humans kill animals, for food and sport and God knows why else.  It would be hard to sentence people to 20 years in prison for killing a cat, especially when they could just turn around and say "Wow I have taken up hunting and shot as many helpless little deer as I please."

Hard situation either way, I think that someone should just slap em around a bit.  Unfortunately physical violence is often the only way to get through to idiotic abusive people like this.  :( 

MedTechStudent said:
See i think the problem here is, its just our human compassion that the outrage at this.  The problem is, its a fine line to tread, humans kill animals, for food and sport and God knows why else.  It would be hard to sentence people to 20 years in prison for killing a cat, especially when they could just turn around and say "Wow I have taken up hunting and shot as many helpless little deer as I please."

Hard situation either way, I think that someone should just slap em around a bit.  Unfortunately physical violence is often the only way to get through to idiotic abusive people like this.  :( 

But hunting is for food, this was torture.  Hitting a cat on the side of the road and placing a cat in a microwave are completely different.  Hunting is for food, or sport.  It's not done by torturing the animal (though some shots are not kill shots and the animal does suffer). You wouldn't go up to a deer and break it's legs "just because" or place that deer in a microwave (I just made myself laugh because I thought well after it's dead.) to kill it. 
The way I view it is that serial killers start out small.  They torture animals in this exact way.  Eventually they "graduate" to larger and larger creatures and eventually end up on humans. 
This may make me a crazy person, but if that was done to any of my pets I would fight for more and would be frightened of what I might do to those people who did that.  A pet is a family member and I don't think anyone who has a pet can disagree.  My cats are like my children (spoiled and treated better than humans!)
Those kids should rot.  They knew it was wrong, knew it was horrible and the crime is unforgivable. 

See I'm not saying its not different, (personally I think hunting for anything other than food is silly, my dad and I used to hunt and eat deer its very good), the problem is its not different enough to merit more than the ?? months/years these two got.  It makes us furious but we can't expect logically for them to get a great deal more time in jail.  Like I said I think its just to fine a line. 

About about serial killers, ya I agree a lot start out displaying behavior like this.  Its a common personality questionnaire question actually, the good old "I occasionally hurt small animals.  Yes/No"

Oh well, I hope they enjoy their time in jail.

To compare hunting to abuse of a domesticated animal is like keeping a dolphin in a bath tub and torturing it,then comparing it to fishing.
I'm an avid hunter and to compare the two is insulting.
And yes animals do suffer from non fatal gun wounds,I know as I had to put a second round in a few.

These kids have a lack of respect for the public and life in general.To also write "you had a nice cat" on the wall shows the attitudes of these little punks.

I would like to go into a rant about what should happen to these youths,however it's kind of pointless.We all know the extent will be lenient.

X-mo-1979 said:
I'm an avid hunter and to compare the two is insulting.

Well its a shame to have your feelings hurt when thats not what my point was at all  :(.  And if you had read what I wrote (especially the part where I said that my dad and I hunt and eat deer), then you might not be insulted? ::)

The problem is, its killing an animal for sport, verses killing an animal for fun.  Even if it issick twisted fun.  Those two words (fun/sport), are just a little too close together to be separated by years and years of jail time or other punishment.  Know how I know that?  Because time after time people like this get off with fines, community service, and pathetically minimal jail time.  Thats just how it is, like I said it would be better for someone just to beat em around a bit.  Or lock them in a cage with 20 ravenous cats.   ;D

MedTechStudent said:
Those two words (fun/sport), are just a little too close together to be separated by years and years of jail time or other punishment.

Fun (their sick version)                                                                                Sport
Killing slowly to enjoy watching it suffer and fight for it's life in agony.                        Killing it quickly with an arrow/bullet.

Those words don't seem close in any way whatsoever.  Throw them away and drive the key to the cell up their asses.

Midget

Ok fine I'l be the inconsiderate person today.  ::)

But this is how it is, and the law seams to think so too.  Or else people would be put away for life, for killing (for fun) a cat.

Sorry to seam inconsiderate, I'm just trying to understand why the laws on this are not more strict.  And this is the only answer I can think of.

In my opinion every one of our Canadian laws aren't strict.  Drunk drivers get their cars back, licenses back. Murderers are given 5 years.  Teenagers who commit horrible murders get 5 years because they're not tried as adults... it's a horrible system, though I should count my lucky stars that I live in such a wonderful Country that I have the opportunity to complain. (That wasn't sarcasm.  Things would be far different if I lived in another country and I do know that... I could be killed if I was in a different country for just being the outspoken, hardworking female I am!)

"Wow I have taken up hunting and shot as many helpless little deer as I please."

First of all, tell me what state or province you're allowed to do that as a legal, licensed hunter. Second, it's a little disingenuous to say "helpless little deer" whilst talking about microwaving a cat, and then say "Oh - but dad and I hunted and eat deer"....

::)

muskrat89 said:
First of all, tell me what state or province you're allowed to do that as a legal, licensed hunter. Second, it's a little disingenuous to say "helpless little deer" whilst talking about microwaving a cat, and then say "Oh - but dad and I hunted and eat deer"....

::)

An exaggeration I apologize.  And the reason I say "helpless little deer", is because people are viewing this as a "helpless little cat"  You think people would care if these two kids took a pet spider and cooked it to death?  Its just because of the association between cats, and them being adorable family pets.  And I really don't want to defend myself anymore on this.   :-\

Unless someone can give me another reason why these kids are not getting more time, besides the fact that the killing of animals for sport/game is widely accepted by law and by society, I'm just done talking about it.   :-X

If I'm wrong, fine, I'm wrong.  As always its just MHO

Cheers, Kyle

dukkadukka said:
In my opinion every one of our Canadian laws aren't strict.  ............... Murderers are given 5 years.  Teenagers who commit horrible murders get 5 years because they're not tried as adults...

???

Looks like the same to me.    ;D

Back