• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OFFICERS COMMISSION SCRIPT

HIghFlyer

Inactive
Reaction score
I was recently enrolled as a 2Lt (Pres) and was wondering when an Officer receives their commission script? I did a search on this site, as well as DND, but was unable to find any information on the topic.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In the reg force, 2LTs recieve their commissioning scrolls as they are kicked out of the door of CFLRS at the end of BOTP, or at their next posting if they aren't ready yet. We had a handful of reserve officers on my platoon who did not recieve their scrolls, but were told they would be sent their units.

CFAO 18-30 is your friend (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-30_e.asp).

Reserve officers should ahve their scrolls requested by their parent area, but a good Adjt should be in contact with the Brigade who in turn will get in touch with the Area.

Or, in my case, you'll wait 1 1/2 years, only to get your name mis-spelled on the scroll, then wait another 6 months or so for the replacement.

DAP.... A man with experience!  (they got you with the extra "T", didin't they)

Geo:

Exactly.  I offered the spare to the other DAP - same first name, same middle initial, last name misspelled with that bothersome extra "T".  He politely declined.

Thanks for the information. I won't hold my breathe waiting for it.

Above link for CFAO 18-30 moved to: http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/cfa-oaf/018-30-eng.asp

Sorry to necro-post but no point starting a new thread for the same subject. Can anyone PM me or post the meat and potatoes of the CFAO 18-30?

dapaterson said:
CFAO 18-30 is your friend (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-30_e.asp).

Reserve officers should ahve their scrolls requested by their parent area, but a good Adjt should be in contact with the Brigade who in turn will get in touch with the Area.

Or, in my case, you'll wait 1 1/2 years, only to get your name mis-spelled on the scroll, then wait another 6 months or so for the replacement.

Same as above...

RocketRichard said:
Same as above...

What? You mean you didn't get your scroll on the day you were commissioned?

<knock knock knock>

;D

Or in my case, get a PRes scroll two years late - and then be presented with another one 18 months after enrolling in the Reg F....

In the end it was worth it.  It hangs in my office and I ask my students to read it out loud.  Cursive is an issue for some of today's youth...

I took commission in may 2006, and didn't receive mine until late 2008, early 2009. Your milage, of course, may vary.

PPCLI Guy said:
Or in my case, get a PRes scroll two years late - and then be presented with another one 18 months after enrolling in the Reg F....

Regarding that, I was told that officers were only entitled to one scroll. I'm currently in the process of transferring from COATS to the PRes. Once I complete BMOQ, am I likely to receive a second one, or was that just an administrative oversight?

bLUE fOX said:
I took commission in may 2006, and didn't receive mine until late 2008, early 2009. Your milage, of course, may vary.

Where did you take it?

Sorry.  It's a little pet peeve of mine.  I HATE it when people refer to "taking" a commission as if just there for, well, the taking.  Commissions are not taken.  When a candidate has met the requirements and has been deemed worthy, a commission is  granted.  The correct usage is "to receive a commission," or "to be commissioned."

Rant over.

There is no such animal as a "Pres" commission versus a "RegF" commission.

All commissioning scroll read the same: a person is "hereby appointed an Officer in Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces". So you can only have one scroll at a time and it is valid unless you elect to hand it in. There are no reference in the scroll to the component you are in.

This said, you can have rank and seniority dates that are different in the PRes or RegF. For instance (in the old days - don't know about today) A Reserve Major with three year seniority could take a two year class "C" posting, during which, according to his posting message, he was grant the (RegF) rank of captain with three years seniority, so that someplace mid-way in his posting he became "eligible" for promotion to major in the Reg F. Happened to my wife: She got promoted to Lieutenant twice (once res, once reg), which caused some confusion when the time for promotion to lieutenant-commander came up.

That is also the reason (single commission) why a recently promoted reserve officer that decides to join the RegF may be sent back to do training with his "peer" group of officer cadets, but will do so as a second lieutenant. No one in the CF, other than through the disciplinary process, can take away a commission.

That is why I don't understand the people here that claim to have been commissioned twice. If you go from the Pres to the RegF, you cannot be brought down lower than 2LT. What should happen is that your file should reflect that, until you graduated with your peers, you were a reserve 2LT and, upon graduation, were granted the Reg F rank of 2LT with same seniority as your peer. This should be done by message, not a new scroll). And if you left the forces for a while between the two, your file should still reflect your commissioning, unless you elected to turn in your commission. 

Oldgateboatdriver said:
There is no such animal as a "Pres" commission versus a "RegF" commission.

All commissioning scroll read the same: a person is "hereby appointed an Officer in Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces". So you can only have one scroll at a time and it is valid unless you elect to hand it in. There are no reference in the scroll to the component you are in.

This said, you can have rank and seniority dates that are different in the PRes or RegF. For instance (in the old days - don't know about today) A Reserve Major with three year seniority could take a two year class "C" posting, during which, according to his posting message, he was grant the (RegF) rank of captain with three years seniority, so that someplace mid-way in his posting he became "eligible" for promotion to major in the Reg F. Happened to my wife: She got promoted to Lieutenant twice (once res, once reg), which caused some confusion when the time for promotion to lieutenant-commander came up.

That is also the reason (single commission) why a recently promoted reserve officer that decides to join the RegF may be sent back to do training with his "peer" group of officer cadets, but will do so as a second lieutenant. No one in the CF, other than through the disciplinary process, can take away a commission.

That is why I don't understand the people here that claim to have been commissioned twice. If you go from the Pres to the RegF, you cannot be brought down lower than 2LT. What should happen is that your file should reflect that, until you graduated with your peers, you were a reserve 2LT and, upon graduation, were granted the Reg F rank of 2LT with same seniority as your peer. This should be done by message, not a new scroll). And if you left the forces for a while between the two, your file should still reflect your commissioning, unless you elected to turn in your commission.

Sure you can!  If you were a Commissioned Officer in the PRes and you CT to the Reg F under the ROTP Entry Plan, you would be required to "Relinquish" your Rank, revert to OCdt and as a result of doing so, your Commission would be "suspended".  Upon successful graduation from RMC/Civi U, the Commission is "Re-instated".

You can 'suspend' someone's Commission?  ???  Makes it sound like a driver license.  :blotto:

Eye In The Sky said:
You can 'suspend' someone's Commission?  ???  Makes it sound like a driver license.  :blotto:

CF MILPERS INSTR 03/08 - Rank Protection on CT to Reg F, article 4.7, Note - IAW QR&O article 11.12; officers may relinquish their commission to facilitate their entry into a program (e.g., ROTP). The officer’s commission is then considered ‘suspended’. It is ‘revived’ when the member is promoted again to a commissioned rank.

Back