• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ohio state troopers disciplined for Ku Klux Klan photo - AP

yup... Nfld Rangers became "Special constables"within the RCMP IIRC

geo said:
yup... Nfld Rangers became "Special constables"within the RCMP IIRC

First time I heard that, always thought they transferred as regular members (the one I knew said he did), though they had to take a drop in rank.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/law/rangers.html
Following Confederation, the Smallwood administration decided to dismantle the Newfoundland Ranger Force as a cost-saving measure. Its members could transfer to the RCMP if they wished, but had to drop one rank because of the RCMP’s higher pay scale. Of the 56 rangers on active duty when Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada, 52 joined the RCMP; the remaining four chose not to apply. Before it disbanded on 31 July 1950, a total of 204 men had served on the Newfoundland Ranger Force.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nl/history_e.htm
It was March 22, 1949, some 76 years after its inception, that the RCMP arrived in Newfoundland and Labrador. 8 members and one officer arrived in Newfoundland and opened a Divisional Headquarters on Kenna’s Hill in St. John’s. They were posted here to enforce federal law. The force was officially recognized a year later on August 1, 1950 with an agreement between RCMP Deputy Commissioner Gray and the Attorney General for the province, the Honourable L. R. Curtis.

The force took over the duties of the former Newfoundland Rangers and also members of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary serving outside St. John’s. 55 Newfoundland Rangers and 22 Constabulary members were accepted into the RCMP. The force was given the responsibility of policing all of Newfoundland and Labrador except the capital city. Because of the growth in the establishment of the RCMP, in 1954 the force opened up sub-division headquarters in Corner Brook and St. John’s. As the force continued to expand, sub-divisions were then added in Gander and Labrador.

"special constables" was not a slur ... it was a special class of constable that did not go thru Regina.

Been a long time since I spoke to Newfoundland/Labrador constables about their genealogy...

Back