• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ok, I have some questions. (Please dont just tell me to read the FAQ)

I.see.fish said:
I have been thinking about joining the Army for along time but when I became a Cadet, I became almost certain that I wanted to join the Army. I want to be in the Reserves until i complete highschool at which point, I want to go into the Regular Force as an Armoured Soldier, so what Trades would be the best bets to do in the Reserves?
The ones I am thinking about are MES Op (Mobile Support Equipment Operator) and VEH Tech.

If you plan to join the Regular Force as a Crewman then I recommend that you join an Armoured Reserve unit (assuming that there is one near you). Your SQ, DP 1 and DP 2 training (the initial courses that you will take) will give you a solid base of skills for a component transfer. The big differences between a Regular Force Crewman who has completed DP 1 Armoured Recce Crewman and a Reservist who has taken SQ, DP 1 Armoured Recce Crewman and his DP 2 Armoured Recce Observer is that the Reg Force soldier would have taken Coyote Driver and Surveillance Operator and the Reservist would not.

Each component transfer is a little unique so it is hard to make predictions on hypothetical offers (some get to bypass all or part of entry level training depending on their file). Regardless, experience in an Reserve Armoured Recce unit would still be valuable to you for a component transfer. Callouts with the Armour School or a Regular Force Armoured Regiment can further assist your CT as you might pick up some extra qualifications and have some additional experience in trade.

Best of luck!

Rowshambow said:
I have been duped, my last 14 years in the Armoured Corps, I also I thought I was at the pointy end....along with my friends in the CER, and the other Combat Arms, and anyone attached to said units!
In no way did I say that the armoured corps or CER was not combat arms.

Tango2Bravo said:
If you plan to join the Regular Force as a Crewman then I recommend that you join an Armoured Reserve unit (assuming that there is one near you). Your SQ, DP 1 and DP 2 training (the initial courses that you will take) will give you a solid base of skills for a component transfer. The big differences between a Regular Force Crewman who has completed DP 1 Armoured Recce Crewman and a Reservist who has taken SQ, DP 1 Armoured Recce Crewman and his DP 2 Armoured Recce Observer is that the Reg Force soldier would have taken Coyote Driver and Surveillance Operator and the Reservist would not.

Each component transfer is a little unique so it is hard to make predictions on hypothetical offers (some get to bypass all or part of entry level training depending on their file). Regardless, experience in an Reserve Armoured Recce unit would still be valuable to you for a component transfer. Callouts with the Armour School or a Regular Force Armoured Regiment can further assist your CT as you might pick up some extra qualifications and have some additional experience in trade.

Best of luck!

I think The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught’s Own) is the only reserve armoured unit but it is a little bit far but I could probably get a ride to base with someone.

I.see.fish said:
[The BCR]....is the only reserve armoured unit but it is a little bit far but I could probably get a ride to base with someone.
If getting to one specific unit is going to become a burden (therefore less fun/more drag), consider this.....

There are a variety of Reserve units out there. At your age, and I don't mean that dismissively, joining any one of them will be beneficial. Just as you will not command a Panzer Division once you complete basic Armd Crewman training, joining a Service Battalion or a Medical Company will not lock you into driving a fuel truck, or allow you to practice open-heart surgery.

What any and all of them will do is expose you to various aspects of military life. Whether you join as a grunt, a bin-rat, or a thumperhead.....the Reserves will introduce you to a spectrum of both excitement and camaraderie as well as a distinct probability being cold, wet, and yelled-at. These experiences, regardless of the unit, will then inform your future career ambitions.

If you decide you still want to go Armour, excellent. Your career stream will certainly not lag for having spent a few years in another arm or branch within the Reserves. Rather, you'll be that much more knowledgeable, for having experienced different aspects of the CF.

In the end, you're young...there's lots of options....don't close off too many options too soon.

/end sermon  ;)

I say again, if you fill out your profile, people will be able to situate you and help out more.

I joined the reserves with my mommy's permission back in the day.  I went to a service battalion and was slated to become a weapons technician.  I ended up moving to Montreal and starting my transfer to another reserve unit to finally get my WPN Tech qualification when I stumbled upon a regular force position at the recruiting center.  It was Armour Crewman but I figured I would just remuster after a couple of years... here I am 15 years later!!

Like Journeyman said, get your foot in the door and it'll help immensely with the learning how to be a soldier process.  It may not exempt you, but you'll have better idea of things once you get in to the Regular Force should that be the case.

If you are fifteen minutes from an infantry unit by city bus and one hour from an armoured unit driving on a highway then that might strongly influence your decision. Completing DP1 infantry would still help you with your component transfer to Reg F armour and would also give you some experience that will likely come in handy later on.

Back