• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Old Naval Guard's Random Questions - Canadain Army since WW2

Hi I am sorry if these is not the place for this , I am still kinda feeling my way around Milnet. A question. Since the Seaking is part of the Airforce I was wondering about this Seaking, and the look it was sporting. I know its 443 squadron's.Can anyone shed some light thanks in Advance.  Old Naval Guard

A simple Google search turned up this...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebugs/280308704/

Hope it helps.

ME

ONG,

Your question got me thinking and, inevitably, researching what little I could find on tactical air support for the Canadian Army during the 60's.

To begin with, it looks like the RCAF left TAS to the Auxiliary squadrons in 50's.  Specifically to 406 Squadron in Saskatoon and 418 Squadron in Edmonton both of which operated the Mitchell light bomber.

"Both of these units had made their reputation on the famous Mosquito during the war; for their tactical role they were equipped with the Mitchell."    Roundel, April 1964

By 1961 however, the Auxiliary squadrons had lost their Mitchells, Mustangs and Sabres and were reequipped with Expeditors and Otters.

In 1962, 408 PR Squadron in Rockliffe (equipped with PR Lancasters) was augmented by a flight of four PR equipped T-33 Silver Star trainers.

"Equipped with photo-reconnaissance noses these aircraft operated in support of Army exercises at Gagetown, Wainwright and Suffield.    408 Squadron History

In March, 1964 the squadron moved to RCAF Rivers in Manitoba where the CJATC operated.  It was re-designated 408 Transport Support and Area Reconnaissance Squadron equipped with T-33s, Dakotas and C-119 Boxcars.  In may of that year the number of T-33s was doubled to 8.

"Four of the T-birds were equipped with photo-recce noses, while the remaining four were armed to provide tactical firepower in support of ground troops.  These aircraft supported the summer concentration exercises at Camp Gagetown and Camp Wainwright during June and July, and during October and November they were involved in exercises on both coasts."    408 Squadron History

In April 1968 the Squadron was allocated to Mobile Command from ATC.  In October, divested of all of the transport aircraft and with a complement of 18 T-33 aircraft the unit was re-designated 408 Tactical Fighter Squadron.  In 1970 it stood down in preparation of becoming the third operational CF-5 unit.  When the decision was made to only have 2 such squadrons its designation was re-allocated to the new operational helicopter squadron to be based in Edmonton.  TAS passed to 433 and 434 Squadrons.

Now about the Banshee; all I know is that they were phased out of RCN service by 1962.  Banshee naval squadrons did however, undertake summer taskings at Rivers during which they were able to fire rockets and drop bombs and could very well have acted in a TAS role during Army exercises.  Like I mentioned at the beginning, my knowledge is limited.

Cheers,
Dan.

Thanks  for your reply. its quiet intresting, despite the lessons learned in WW2 about the importance of tactical air support it was allowed to decline by the early 1960s. If running down the Airforce auxiliary squadrons, switching their roles to other than Air tactical, what was the army to do for close air support?. I guess time expired was right. There was no air support per say. I read in the book HMCS Bonaventure that its Banshee fighters did do Air support for the army. However I dont posses the book Cheers old naval guard

The Banshees did do tactical air support for the army, and the army had a ground liaison officer party afloat on Bonaventure. In 1961 the Banshees started a huge range fire in Shilo while doing a demonstration of tactical air support for the Young Officers Tactics Course.  The army then used the young officers (I was one of them) to fight the range fire for two or three weeks, and gave us our qualification without completing all the course as a consolation.

In 1962 I was standing on a hill on the west side of the Nerepis River in Camp Gagetown and watched a pair of Banshees fly by lower than I was.

Back