• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On Shore Positions For Mar El?

Cleric515

Inactive
Reaction score
So i completed BMQ in november, was posted in BC in which I was supposed to do ql3 but because of my post secondary education i was granted academically everything except for 3 courses in ql5. I still have to do the MCR packages as well as the OJT packages which is fine with me but I was wondering, is there any possibility of me in the future getting the opportunity to teach courses at a school like ql3, currently posted in Halifax, NS. Reason I'm asking is yeah i like travelling but the one thing that kills me is when you have no communication with the outside world, especially on 6 month deployments so it'd be nice if I was able to come home everyday, some days it makes me rethink my contract.

Believe it or not, there is considerable communications available when deployed.

Most ships have phones useable by the crew, with 21 minutes free per week per person to call home, plus e-mail availability (normally on, unless OPSEC requires it, or EMCOM silence)

When the ship is in port, you can often find internet cafe's and such to connect with home as well.

This is a significant change from 15-20 years ago where you still had the 28 word family-gram messages once a month and stuff.

Coming home every day is nice, especially when you've got family. 

There is a thing called a "Sea-Shore" ratio, and as you get higher in rank, you'll likely spend more time ashore.

For the first few years of your career, the best place to be is on a ship, at sea, doing your job.  You get the experience, the travel, and the comradeship. 

I was an instructor at CFNES for about a year and a half, and it's not without it's challenges there as well. 

I've spent 18 years in the Navy, and have enjoyed most of them.  We all have moments that we think "why did I sign that...." but I've had a lot more good times than bad over the years.

What ship are you on?

NS

I'm posted to the Iroquois right now, just had my first deployment to boston and lucky me we had sea training the first week, at first i thought every deployment was like that lol. Reason why I was bringing it up was because our ship is supposedly being deployed for around 6 months i believe next year and I was thinking how the hell could i survive 6 months of sailing but found out today that we never sail for more than a week, thing is we just visit alot of ports so now im not too worried anymore.

My advice to you is get your packages done as soon as possible, the next shore posting you'll probably get is your tech course. You will get shore postings if your lucky, but be prepared to sail a number of years before you will go ashore.

Yeah, trying to get my mcc package done before the end of march if possible, then after that hopefully i'll be slated for NETP, finish the package that comes with that, then there's my BSS package, after that I just have to focus on my QL3 OJT and QL4 OJT, pass fleet exam and then get my LS, I came in semi skilled which is why I'm excluded academically from the ql3 and ql4 courses, was also granted my AB's right away

Cleric515 said:
I'm posted to the Iroquois right now, just had my first deployment to boston and lucky me we had sea training the first week, at first i thought every deployment was like that lol. Reason why I was bringing it up was because our ship is supposedly being deployed for around 6 months i believe next year and I was thinking how the hell could i survive 6 months of sailing but found out today that we never sail for more than a week, thing is we just visit alot of ports so now im not too worried anymore.

That's pretty good if you go in every week. My first time at sea was 25 straight days. Was good times.

Depending on the deployment schedule, you could end up going in every weekend, or you could end up out at sea for 74 days straight, no sight of land.

The average is about every two weeks-ish.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.

NS

Back