• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the Lighter Side..... CF Rations

The only good thing about the rations are....well...um...if you don't mind the extra weight in your ruck, you can carry take power bars instead and get rid of the rations when no one is looking, and that if you don't like pooping in the bush.. eat a couple rations and you are guaranteed to be plugged for at least the duration of the exercise sometimes longer.

Actually in the most recent Esprit DE Corps.  There was an article about a guy who is going to eat nothing but rations for the next month.  He has a blog, the link is below .  He calls himself the rationman.

http://www.rationman.blogspot.com/

Good luck to him.  I think a really good enema will be in order a week after he starts.

armywoman said:
The only good thing about the rations are....well...um...if you don't mind the extra weight in your ruck, you can carry take power bars instead and get rid of the rations when no one is looking, and that if you don't like pooping in the bush.. eat a couple rations and you are guaranteed to be plugged for at least the duration of the exercise sometimes longer.

Actually in the most recent Esprit DE Corps.   There was an article about a guy who is going to eat nothing but rations for the next month.   He has a blog, the link is below .   He calls himself the rationman.

http://www.rationman.blogspot.com/

Good luck to him.   I think a really good enema will be in order a week after he starts.

Gee Umm How long do you expect to live on power bars?? :o
The Idea of an ex is to get you into the war fighting mind set not the "Its over on Sunday" mind set

You have to choose which  set you want to go with.  I would sudgest the later to avioid any  surprises. ::)

Of course it is, I find that when I am on exercise I can not eat at all.  I usually have to force myself to eat anything.

The chili and the lasagna are pretty good, although I am currently trying to change my diet by eating less meats.  Some of my meals are raw.  Although I do not think that a raw food diet is conducive to the military..not too many raw fruits and veggies...or blenders in the field.

Has anyone tried some of the newer meals?

The last IMP I ate was back in '94 and it was Meatballs in gravy....worst tasting IMP though would have to be Mac and cheese with poeas...smelled and tasted like vomit....you needed alot, and I mean ALOT, of ketchup to make it even half way decent... :D

What kind of new fancy IMPs are they serving now???

Do they actually taste decent??

Springroll said:
The last IMP I ate was back in '94 and it was Meatballs in gravy....worst tasting IMP though would have to be Mac and cheese with poeas...smelled and tasted like vomit....you needed alot, and I mean ALOT, of ketchup to make it even half way decent... :D

What kind of new fancy IMPs are they serving now???

Do they actually taste decent??
IMP's have improved over time...Now, wa have smoked salmon, ham and raisains, and so on...Yeah they're pretty good

Springroll said:
No more ham omelet???   :crybaby:   ;D
nope...no more mac and cheese either...And no more "toothpaste-style"tubes for jam or peanut butter...darn it

Too bad they got rid of the crackers, much better than the bread. If rations are "extra" weight, i guess you think water is too?

The rations are pretty good, I was one of the few that enjoy them. But i wish they would make them more healthier, instead of loading them with tons of candy, cookies and other shit.

They're filled with the high calorie foods for a reason: troops tend to burn a lot more calories in the field.
Low calorie diets are no-good for high work - low sleep conditions. By any means, you shouldn't get too fat in the field unless you're doing something wrong.

Over the years the individual rations have changed considerably, largely owing to the efforts of the dieticians in the Logisitics branch.  I used to love to munch on the Club brand crackers, but could never find them in the grocery stores.  Trying to "preserve" bread for three years is an execise in futility, IMO.

I found this site after a former member of 1 CDN Para Bn (two successful jumps: D-Day and Op Varsity [Rhine Crossing] told me of the hilarious antics of "Ration Man".  Maybe his losy diet at college is causing him trouble now that he is getting a balanced diet, even if he is trying to eat it in a three meal fashion rather than spreading it across the 18 or so hours he should be working, not riding buses to Toronto or holding hands in the movies with his GF.

Entertaining stuff, but some of the menu items are amusing.

TOF.

armywoman said:
Of course it is, I find that when I am on exercise I can not eat at all.   I usually have to force myself to eat anything.
I'd hate to see you after 6 or 8 weeks of not eating, or trying to live on powerbars.

http://www.sovietarmy.com/documents/afghan-medical.html

knew a guy once , wouldn't eat out of a haybox because it had 1973 stamped on the side.
Thought the eggs were 30 years old.

I think the LMCs are good, especially the beef jerkey. I don't mind the rations all that much, but I think they put way too many packages of the salmon in one box.

paracowboy said:
I'd hate to see you after 6 or 8 weeks of not eating, or trying to live on powerbars.

It would be a great diet.  I should be so lucky!

I don't think I have heard of 6-8 week exercises?!

armywoman said:
I don't think I have heard of 6-8 week exercises?!
are we talking about the same thing? Going into the woods and mountains and playing soldier? Living in a hooch, digging trenches, shooting at enemy force?

Back