• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Election: New riding and choices.

A poll leaked Thursday suggested Andrea Horwath’s NDP had a whopping 10-point lead over Doug Ford’s PCs in the Ontario election campaign.

Good ol media polls.

dapaterson said:
Is there a statutory requirement for a recount if the margin is below a certain level?

There's a handful of down to the wire ridings.

EDIT: Saw this on Twitter.  25 votes or less and there shall be a recount; bigger margin and a recount may be requested by anyone.

https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/status/1004931932403036161

This is covered by the Ontario Election Act RSO 1990 c. E.6

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90e06

The provisions for recounts starts at s. 69. In short any candidate may apply to a judge of the Ontario Court of Justice for a judicial recount if he/she alleges that ballots were improperly counted, rejected, improperly tabulated or the number of votes cast for a candidate were misstated. In addition under s 67(2) where the lead candidate won by less than 25 votes, the returning officer shall apply for a judicial recount.

Incidentally. Did anyone else think that the new automated tabulation machines at the polls that they stuffed your ballot into looked strangely similar to a shredder?

:cheers:

I'm going to sleep really well tonight. The tearing of hair, the rending of flesh and the smack in the face of reality for the left, is amusingly satisfying. The fact that they just moved to the bottom rung and that their voice is muted, must be like psychotic break for them.

Yes, I'm gloating, because the working man no longer has to eat the left's shyte. ;D

The manipulated polls were, again, proven to be out to lunch.

Long live capitalism, down with communism :rofl:

recceguy said:
I'm going to sleep really well tonight. The tearing of hair, the rending of flesh and the smack in the face of reality for the left, is amusingly satisfying. The fact that they just moved to the bottom rung and that their voice is muted, must be like psychotic break for them.

Yes, I'm gloating, because the working man no longer has to eat the left's shyte. ;D

The manipulated polls were, again, proven to be out to lunch.

Long live capitalism, down with communism :rofl:

I am both elated and depressed.  I am glad to see the Ontario Liberals, whom I have considered nothing more than corrupt to the core, and the NDP with their spending and taxing platforms defeated in the province.  I am, however, not impressed to see one of the most radical NDP candidates win in Ottawa Center, and Liberals taking two Ottawa East Ridings.  I guess my impression of the voters who were at the polling station while I was there was correct, that they were Left leaning.

I think the PCs would have had a clean sweep had it not been for people voting against Doug Ford, not for his policies, but just because they did not like Doug Ford.  Seems that there are pockets of this nation where the voters vote more on personalities, than Party Platforms.  We saw it with the "Anyone but Harper" and saw some of it with "Not Doug Ford" in this election.  I am sure that is where the NDP gained many votes in a lot of ridings.

I also had serious reservation with the polling system.  I am of the impression that it can easily be manipulated and/or corrupted/hacked.  I did not notice where the actual hard paper ballots were being put after being scanned, in case of some challenge.

George Wallace said:
I also had serious reservation with the polling system.  I am of the impression that it can easily be manipulated and/or corrupted/hacked.  I did not notice where the actual hard paper ballots were being put after being scanned, in case of some challenge.

No part of the system was connected to the internet, and so I do not see how it could be hacked.  The ballots stayed in the scanner's hoppers once scanned in.

Jarnhamar said:
Good ol media polls.

"A poll leaked Thursday suggested Andrea Horwath’s NDP had a whopping 10-point lead over Doug Ford’s PCs in the Ontario election campaign."

The above was posted as an unsourced quote in Reply #260. A source would make it easier to discuss.

2018 Ontario general election polls,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_general_election,_2018#Opinion_polls

And votes,

Conservative: 2,322,422

NDP: 1,925,574

Liberal: 1,103,283

George Wallace said:
I think the PCs would have had a clean sweep had it not been for people voting against Doug Ford, not for his policies, but just because they did not like Doug Ford. 

Perhaps they remembered the 2010-2014 Ford Nation era when he was a councillor.

Late night comics in the U.S. were mocking Doug even then,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKJqEY5EOo

On the other hand, perhaps out of town voters were excited to be able join, for the first time, the Ford Nation movement started by his late brother Rob.

I voted Ford Nation in 2010. Against FN in 2014. For FN again in 2018.

CP2Ford CP24 showed the family glued to the TV set in Mom's basement.

Conspicuously absent this time, both there, and later at the Congress Centre, was Rob's widow.

FJAG said:
Incidentally. Did anyone else think that the new automated tabulation machines at the polls that they stuffed your ballot into looked strangely similar to a shredder?

:cheers:

Funny you should mention that!  I said the same thing to official when I handed in my vote. We both had a good laugh about it.

Does anyone have information why voting hours were extended in several ridings due to "school lockdowns?"

Media release here.

I went to bed before I saw confirmation of the liberals being reduced to non party status.

The only thing that would have been a bit better would have been for Kathleen Wynne to lose her seat.

oh well.

Whatever we have coming can't be any worse than what we had.

They lost official party status.....

One of the pundits last night said that the Liberals are likely in really bad shape as he believes they took out a bunch of debt for the election and now without the higher level of funding, they'll have a heck of time paying it back. 

CTV is reporting non-party with seven seats. This is subject to any recounts.

Being the only Conservative in an extended family of Liberals dating back to Confederation, I am keeping my mouth shut as I wade through rivers of electronic tears.

Old Sweat said:

Being the only Conservative in an extended family of Liberals dating back to Confederation, I am keeping my mouth shut as I wade through rivers of electronic tears.

You should see my facebook feed  ;D

Old Sweat said:

For those of us old enough to remember when every household subscribed to a newspaper, and had it delivered daily to their doorstep ( before voters began getting their information from social media ), even without a lawn sign, you could pretty much tell which party people supported.

In my neighborhood, Star subscribers tended to vote Liberal, and Telegram ( after it folded, Sun ) subscribers tended to vote Conservative.

That's a generalization on my part. But, I believe it to be true as a general rule.

Old Sweat said:

Me too.  My Facebook feed is alight with cry's of Armageddon the apocalypse. 

First Ward 2, then Toronto, then Ontario. Canada next?

CBC

As Ford Nation conquers Ontario, federal parties ponder what it means for them
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ford-trudeau-austerity-election-1.4696771
It's time, Canada, to recognize the emergence of Ford Nation in the province known as Ontario.

From 2014,

"Here, a genealogical guide to Camelot North."
https://torontolife.com/city/toronto-politics/rob-ford-family-tree/
"They call themselves the Canadian Kennedys."

END QUOTE

Attachments

• tree.png
    tree.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 392
Some discussion of the "first-past-the-post" electoral system, 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontario-voters-express-displeasure-first-past-post-system-004642372.html
The Ontario election has prompted some residents in the province to raise concerns about the first-past-the-post electoral system  after premier-designate Doug Ford led his party to a majority mandate despite receiving approximately 40 per cent of the popular vote.

END QUOTE

mariomike said:
Some discussion of the "first-past-the-post" electoral system, 

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontario-voters-express-displeasure-first-past-post-system-004642372.html
The Ontario election has prompted some residents in the province to raise concerns about the first-past-the-post electoral system  after premier-designate Doug Ford led his party to a majority mandate despite receiving approximately 40 per cent of the popular vote.

END QUOTE

Indeed!  Can you imagine?  A political party given a majority mandate from the electorate despite receiving approximately 40  per cent of the popular vote?

...oh wait, does 39.5% count?

Back