• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Election

E.R. Campbell said:
As expected, McGuinty and Duncan get it exactly back asswards according to this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/expect-deep-cuts-less-spending-on-roads-in-ontario-budget-duncan-says/article2370180/

Reducing infrastructure maintenance is just plain, 100% stupid; it is a perfect example of being penny-wise and pound foolish.  Ditto increased fees on business ~ it is how you kill jobs in an economy that desperately needs more of them. It is good old fashioned, Trudeau era Liberal stupidity.

Drummond laid out how to cut ~ and he didn't say cut infrastructure repairs or increase fees for business.

It is sad to say, but the cuts must be borne, primarily by the poor, the elderly and government workers (schoolteachers, civil servants and so on); they consume the most tax dollars so the savings must come from them. It is poor politics but it is the only acceptable policy.

McGuinty is driving Ontario to ruin because he's a Liberal fool ... whoops, isn't that, Liberal fool, tautology?

A further report, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, explaining why McGuinty/Duncan are wrong to delay infrastructure spending in the forthcoming budget:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ontario-liberals-must-not-abandon-infrastructure/article2377685/
Ontario Liberals must not abandon infrastructure

J.C. BOURQUE

Globe and Mail Update
Published Thursday, Mar. 22, 2012

In the upcoming provincial budget, Finance Minister Dwight Duncan will apparently delay billion of dollars in infrastructure spending. He contends this will save “hundreds of millions of dollars of interest cost.” This makes little sense from either a public policy or business perspective. If this kind of thinking guides the logic of the approaching budget, it will be a document that will continue the pattern of deferring short term pain at the expense of our future.

As anyone who makes choices with limited resources understands, different spending decisions create different payoffs or returns (emotional or financial). Purchasing a high quality “safe” bond from the government of Canada will yield a different return than investing in a risky venture fund. Other decisions have negative financial returns that are unsustainable, like racking up large debts on your credit card. All of this holds true for public policy decisions.

While the Ontario government is faced with many difficult choices, one thing is so clear that it is an axiom of public policy: Spending on necessary capital infrastructure is always a sound bet. Estimates are that the boost to GDP from every dollar spent on public infrastructure can be as high a $1.59. Thus, additional capital expenditure is worthwhile if the GDP multiplier is greater than the interest expense of the project. For example, if a bridge is expected to yield a 40 per cent return, then it is a worthy project if the interest expense is less than 40 per cent.

This difference between expected return and the cost of borrowing can be thought of as a “spread.” For worthwhile infrastructure projects such as public transportation, high-traffic roads, and efficient energy infrastructure, the size of the spread makes such investments sound.

Beyond increasing short-term demand, smart infrastructure projects boost the long run potential of the economy as they cut costs like electricity and gasoline bills that undermine both the firm and the family. For example, a recent Toronto Board of Trade report estimates traffic in the city, the worst in North America, costs the GTA economy $6-billion each and every year.

In light of the importance of spending on needed infrastructure projects, to cut such investments to save “hundreds of millions of interest costs” makes little sense. The government will be running large deficits for the foreseeable future and Ontario will be spending nearly $10-billion this year on interest costs alone. Thus, the key decision calculus is whether these deficits are being used to lay the ground work for long term prosperity – or simply to fuel current consumption and put off making tough decisions. Is the government going to go into debt to sustain a lifestyle it cannot afford, or is it going to use deficit financing to invest in Ontario’s future?

J.C. Bourque is a business strategy consultant in Toronto. He has worked on several campaigns for the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario.

Sadly, the tough choices that McGuinty/Duncan must make have to be made on the backs on the most vulnerable in society (the poor, seniors, etc) and on the backs of their political favourites (teachers) because they consume the largest share of discretionary spending; infrastructure is not discretionary - roads, sewers and power plants are the sinews and arteries of the economy and delaying maintenance and upgrades is a destructive measure that AIMS to delay growth and to kill jobs, all in the name of a failed ideology.

Elctions have consequences. For Ontario, I see a pretty grim prognosis; high taxes will drive out business and skilled workers, while self induced labour strife between the McGuinty Liberals and their former union allies will make everything else very...unpleasent.

End result, Ontario's economy goes further underwater as revenues dry up and we go to the polls with something close to the $400 billion dollar debt and $30 billion dollar deficit that had been predicted if the Drummond Report was not implimented.

Whoever is the leader of the PCPO in those dark days had better have a pretty drastic plan:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/03/27/ontario-budget-andrew-coyne/

Andrew Coyne: Ontario budget snubs Drummond in favour of trench warfare with unions

Andrew Coyne  Mar 27, 2012 – 7:49 PM ET | Last Updated: Mar 27, 2012 8:00 PM ET
Tyler Anderson/National Post

Tyler Anderson/National Post

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, right, listens as Finance Minister Dwight Duncan delivers the 2012 Ontario budget Tuesday.

So, that revolution we were promised? Those radical, transformative changes to the government of Ontario that were to follow from the famous Drummond report? That top-to-bottom rethink of how programs were delivered, designed to turn a sullen bureaucratic blob into a hive of creative thinking and competitive efficiency, and — oh yes — rescue the province from the fiscal abyss towards which it was hurtling?

Yeah, well: never mind.

The report that bore the economist Don Drummond’s name offered the McGuinty government a way out of the enormous fiscal hole it had dug for itself over its first seven years in power. Rather than simply slash spending, Drummond mapped out a wide-ranging program of structural reforms that, he claimed, would not only save money, but actually improve service.

They weren’t all that radical. Drummond conspicuously declined to recommend any serious changes to the province’s school system, or even such obvious and long-sought reforms as breaking up the government monopoly on liquor distribution. Still, the report seemed to offer a politically palatable alternative to the sharp ideological conflicts of the Harris years — not smaller government so much as smarter government — even if it it did suggest reversing a number of Dalton McGuinty’s signature initiatives.

Well now we have the government’s answer, and it’s: fat chance of that. Rather than accept Drummond’s challenge to rethink its whole approach, Tuesday’s budget opts instead for a grim war of attrition with the public sector unions.

Indeed, the budget seems to go out of its way to thumb its nose at Drummond — whose report, remember, the government had itself commissioned a year ago, just before the last election, allowing it to claim it had a plan to rein in spending without getting into the specifics of what that might entail. So, where Drummond recommended rolling back the hugely expensive ($1.5-billion a year) promise to turn kindergarten into an all-day affair, the budget pledges the government to “fully implementing full-day kindergarten by September 2014.”

Where Drummond doubted the wisdom of pouring scarce dollars into reducing class sizes — a nice-sounding reform that evidence shows is of very little benefit — the budget commits the government to “keeping a cap on class sizes in the early grades.” The 30% rebate on university tuition fees, a regressive sop to the Liberals’ upper-middle-class supporters that Drummond had urged be pitched, is likewise something to which the government “remains committed,” as for the most part is the equally ill-conceived but no less politically popular 10% subsidy on electricity bills.

Even the $3.5-billion the province hands out in subsidies and tax breaks to business every year — the lowest of low-hanging fruit, one would think, for a government on track towards a $30-billion deficit five years out — was apparently off limits. Where Drummond recommended tossing the lot, the budget pledges only to “consolidate” them into a single fund, trimming just $250-million from the total. At the same time, it proposes to freeze the corporate tax rate at 11.5%, rather than cut it to 10% as previously planned. Businesses generally will pay more tax so the McGuinty government can subsidize its favourites.

‘Fully a third of the $17.7-billion in spending cuts pencilled in over the next three years comes from the “compensation restraint” envelope’

And yet, notwithstanding its refusal to implement most of Drummond’s principal recommendations, the budget still shows spending on more or less the restraint track Drummond proposed. On its face, this is fairly impressive, especially for a minority government. If the budget is any guide, in five years’ time spending would be just 6.4% higher than it was, not this year, but two years ago. That’s some serious restraint, if only relative to the orgy that preceded it. In the McGuinty governments’ first seven years in power, spending grew by more than that every year.

How does it propose to get there? Largely by imposing a freeze on wage increases on its largest unions. Ostensibly this would be negotiated “in good faith,” but there’s little doubt what is meant by the “necessary administrative and legislative measures” the government warns it would resort to in the alternative. Here again, the budget appears to be rejecting Drummond’s advice. While some restraint in wages was unavoidable, he suggested, given that labour costs make up half the budget, an across-the-board freeze risked simply storing up trouble for later: experience showed that wages tended to accelerate again after the freeze was off. Is that what the province is in for? Five years of trench warfare with its own employees?

Fully a third of the $17.7-billion in spending cuts pencilled in over the next three years comes from the “compensation restraint” envelope. Another $5-billion is to come from a grab-bag of relatively minor “expense management measures,” such as using digital imaging in place of paper or self-insuring against liability claims, detailed in an accompanying pamphlet. The remaining $6.8-billion is labelled, mysteriously, “cost avoidance.” Nowhere in the budget is this figure itemized, nor could Finance officials describe exactly what it involved. It seems to be more or less the residual between the savings the government hopes to achieve and the ones it has figured out to date.

That’s been the government’s modus operandi until now. The McGuinty Liberals sailed through the last election assuring everyone they had a plan, or at least that Drummond would tell them what it was. In the event, Drummond’s report seems to have served mostly as a source of examples of what the government would not do. And what will it do? How does it propose to balance the budget by 2018? I’m guessing we’ll have to wait until after the next election.

The Leader of the Opposition speaks out on the Ontario budget:

http://crux-of-the-matter.com/2012/03/28/tim-hudaks-response-to-the-mcguinty-govt-budget-verbatim/

Tim Hudak’s response to the McGuinty gov’t budget verbatim

Election Night Oct.6,2011
Click image for full story.

I just received a copy of Ontario PC Leader Tim Hudak’s speech in the Legislature this afternoon. Rather than have journalists paraphrase what he said (or didn’t say) I am posting it in its entirety. (See also the post of my recent interview with him.)

Remarks by Tim Hudak, MPP

Ontario PC Leader

Budget House Response

March 28, 2012

“I rise to offer my Party and Caucus’s response to yesterday’s budget address. Although by this point that might be a little redundant. As I said in my National Post article yesterday, in my job I try, every day, to imagine Ontario as I’d like it to be.A place with a hopeful future. Where opportunities abound for people willing to work hard, and take risks to succeed. A place that offers the highest quality of life available anywhere.

* Good schools.
        * Excellent, accessible health care.
        * Prosperous, welcoming, safe and diverse communities.
        * World-beating infrastructure.

These are the things I want for Ontario. And I try to visualize them every day, when I come to work with each of you, in this place. It’s a touchstone for me. It guides my thinking and my decisions. It motivates my Caucus colleagues. And, I would like to think, it’s the kind of province all Ontarians would hope for.

But in order for me to imagine the kind of Ontario I’d like to live in, and contribute to, I need a realistic point of reference. And that reference point, by necessity, needs to be Ontario as it exists today. Which means we need to take stock of where things stand.

Now, the optimist in me says Ontario today remains a place of enormous potential. We are a civil place. We are free. We are governed by the rule of law. We have a well-educated workforce. We have tremendous, still-untapped natural resources that are in demand world-wide. We are uniquely situated in the heart of the vast North American marketplace for our expertise, our goods and our services. We are inventors, discoverers, innovators, builders.Thinkers, and doers. In short, we have everything we need not just to survive – but to thrive – in a 21st century economy.

These are the fundamentals. The strengths on which we would build our future. And so many of them are in place. But the reality is, some other fundamentals are missing. Or they are in a state of neglect and disrepair. Here’s one of them. And it’s much on our minds in this place today.

I speak of our fiscal foundations. Or, more plainly put, whether we have the money to pay for the things we all most value. Health care. Education. Infrastructure. And so on. This is a fundamental building block for our province – indeed, for any stable society. Because if the money’s just not there, then none of the rest is possible. Ontarians understand this.

By and large, we are a thrifty people. We know that we can’t live beyond our means as individuals.Or that if we do, sooner or later, we’ll hit a wall. As a friend of mine likes to say, ‘there will be month left at the end of the money.’ We’ll max out our credit cards. We could even lose our homes. For some, especially in trying times like these, there’s the threat of personal bankruptcy. So most Ontarians inherently understand that there are limits. That there are things we’d like to have – and there are things we need to have. And that sometimes, we have to choose between them.

Businesses understand this as well. That’s what business is. Money comes in, money goes out. And they live right on that line every single day. They’ve got to stay lean. They’ve got to compete. They’ve got to do things better and more efficiently than their rivals. Or they go out of business. Happens every day. You snooze, you lose. And then, here come the creditors. Here come the shareholders. Here comes the bailiff. And there goes your business.

So the idea that you’ve got to pay as you go, and watch the pennies, is a basic one that everyone understands. Well, almost everyone. Because the checks and restraints and rules that apply to individuals, families and businesses do not seem to apply to government. This one especially. There’s never the threat of being fired for making a wrong decision. There’s never the threat of bankruptcy. There’s no penalty for screwing up. At least, that’s how it seems to most people.

People say, ‘How come they can get away with it and I can’t?’ ‘How come my business has to live within its means every day and theirs doesn’t?’Good questions, aren’t they? I get them all the time. I suspect many of you do too. So it’s little wonder that many hard-pressed Ontarians were looking to this place yesterday for some answers.

It was budget day. The one day of the year when government is expected to account for itself. To bring out the ledger. To show people how much of their money is coming in, how much is going out. And where it’s going. Whether the numbers all add up. And if not, why not.

So what did they get? What did they see? What did they hear? And what are they left to conclude today, the morning after?

Well, let’s start with the surface. The language of yesterday’s budget. I was struck by words like these:

* begin discussions
        * consider
        * seek input
        * delay
        * encourage
        * consult
        * set up a panel
        * seek advice
        * consult on the details
        * help enhance

This is the language of equivocation. The language of evasion. It’s content free. It doesn’t mean anything. They’re words you use when you don’t have anything to say. And they’re right out of the 2012 Ontario Liberal budget. A budget entitled, ‘Strong Action for Ontario’……that contains no action verbs.

Not a good start. And it only gets worse.It gets worse especially for those 600,000 good men and women who woke up this morning with no job to go to. That’s the population of Burlington and Brampton combined. They were looking for a little accountability yesterday too. And a little hope. But the budget failed them. And it failed them in two of the most basic ways:

First, it’s not just the total absence of a jobs plan. Although it’s true – there is no jobs plan in this budget.It’s the fact that the budget actually makes things worse for the job creators who could help get our 600,000 unemployed men and women back to work. This is because the budget increased their tax load by cancelling the promised next round of business tax reductions…in the midst of an economic downturn.

Second, it does far too little to steer us off the path toward a massive, $30 billion deficit and a looming $411 billion debt.As huge as these numbers are – as hard to grasp as they can be – they’re not abstractions at all to businesses and investors. They are a clear signal to job creators and credit agencies that Ontario can’t afford those things I talked about at the outset of my remarks.

Things that make us an attractive place to relocate to, expand and invest in and create jobs.Things like good infrastructure and a competitive business climate, with low taxes, superior public services, and flexible and responsive regulation.

Remember, these are Don Drummond’s numbers. It’s his cautionary tale. That unless we take immediate and measurable steps to balance the budget by 2017-18, we will drop off a cliff…and into the maw of a $30 billion deficit and a $411 billion accumulated debt.

So if this is supposed to be a “Drummond-inspired” budget… where’s the roadmap for getting us the critical remaining one-third of the way to 2017-18?To the destination Mr. Drummond so emphatically says we need to reach? It’s not there.

The budget’s own spending numbers keep going up and up and up to 2015.No surprise there.That’s what Liberal spending numbers do. But at least there’s some detail on how they support those numbers. After that, though, that spending curve mysteriously starts to flat-line, until – as if by magic – it hits the Drummond target of a balanced budget in 2017.

How does it do that? Nobody knows.

So this budget cannot withstand serious scrutiny.This government’s claims of a ‘tough’ budget are nothing but focus group-tested spin. This is not an austerity budget. Spending is up $2 billion – not down. As a result, there has been no reduction in the deficit. The government is projecting the exact same deficit for 2012 as for 2011.

As well, budgets have increased in fully 14 of 24 Ministries Think about that: Those 14 Ministries represent 82 per cent of the total budget.Let me say that again: This government increased spending across 82 per cent of the budget.

If this wasn’t the year for this Premier to finally say ‘no’, how much worse does it have to get? And in the face of all that, the government continues its trademark spending binges at a pace of $1.8 million an hour more than it takes in. That’s nearly $2 million in new debt in the time it takes for an hour of Question Period alone.

It’s a surprisingly weak budget. And a terribly disappointing response to a serious and deepening jobs and spending crisis under the Liberals. A budget with no plan to manage down Ontario’s looming $411 billion debt, which will worsen business and investor confidence. Confidence which will be further eroded by the budget’s increase on business taxes – in the middle of a downturn. Both of which will throw up roadblocks to expansion, investment, economic growth and job creation.

There is no structural change in this budget, to the way government spends and operates. It just kicks the can down the road. And it’s some can. A deficit now three times the size of all provinces – combined. A deficit for 2011 that actually increased over the previous year – and doesn’t decrease for another year.

A complete lack of a jobs plan – except for creating yet another advisory body.Gee. They might have a meeting or something too. Imagine: A Liberal job creation advisory body. Now there’s an oxymoron…

Starting tomorrow, a phoney war with Ottawa over equalization payments. Just wait for it. And no concrete action on the cost of public sector compensation – just more consultations.

So it remains clear that the Liberals still think they have a revenue problem – not a spending problem. That’s not what Ontario taxpayers think. It’s not what businesses and investors think. And it’s certainly not what the credit rating agencies, and the international financial community, have come to realize.

For our part, we’ve been very clear on what it would take for us to support this government: Policies to nurture the right climate for job creation, and policies that reduce the size and cost of government. For months now I’ve been calling for a pro-growth, integrated plan to rein in the bloated public sector on one side, and to help recreate a more dynamic private sector economy to create jobs, on the other.

These are steps that should have taken years ago. If we had, we wouldn’t be in this mess today. I detailed them in my meeting with the Premier last November. And that’s the last we’ve seen of them. It’s why I would have headed down an entirely different path had the task fallen to me last year – with an urgent fall economic update and a much earlier budget than this one.

Along the way, Ontario would have seen the advent of an integrated, pro-growth plan to reduce the size and cost of government on one side of the ledger…and foster a dynamic private sector economy on the other.

* A dramatically smaller Cabinet – refocused on our jobs, spending and debt crisis.
        * Ministers made personally, financially responsible for missing fiscal targets.
        * An immediate, mandatory public sector wage freeze.A plan to fix our broken public sector salary arbitration system.
        * Competition in the delivery of government services.
        * Lower business taxes. Not higher.
        * More skilled trades jobs.
        * More flexible, responsive regulation.
        * A pro-jobs policy that treats the North’s resources as resources – not as props in a theme park.
        * And affordable energy.

This is not about politics.It’s not about doing what may, or may not, be good for our Party. It’s about doing what’s right for our province. Put another way, it’s hard for a bird to soar when it’s missing one wing – let alone two.This budget is trying to get off the ground without either a jobs policy or a plan to deal with our crippling debt.So, take-off denied.

We cannot support this budget. And we will not support this budget.Because its claim to being “an austerity budget” is simply false. And it’s certainly not a jobs budget. I said it yesterday, I say it again today, and I’ll say it tomorrow. There is no need for Ontario to be condemned to a $30 billion deficit, and continuing, stagnant economic growth.

So I will continue to promote our positive, Ontario PC plan to reduce the size and cost of government, and to build a more dynamic, growing economy with new jobs. We owe this to Ontarians. They’ve invested their lives in this province. They know what Ontario is capable of being – capable of becoming again.

Ontario is like a grand old family home. In so many ways it’s been lovingly preserved for generations. As they say in real estate, it’s got good bones. But the foundations are going. And it falls to this generation of leadership, in this place, to shore them up.

I stand ready to do my part. But not with this budget.
    Thank you.”

Elections have consequences part XXXV. If I were the leader of the PCPO I would be gathering a clan of economists to make a Drummond Report II and release it today. This message will have to be broadcast repeatedly so everyone will understand what needs to be done to extricate the province from a $3-400 billion debt and a $30 billion deficit come the end of this term in office. Given the exodus of capital, business and skilled labour spurred on by sharply increasing energy costs, I will bet on the high end of the scale as to the deficit and debt in that time frame:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/04/04/ontarios-power-trip-the-great-electricity-bill-cover-up/

Ontario’s Power Trip: The great electricity bill cover-up

Special to Financial Post  Apr 4, 2012 – 8:44 PM ET | Last Updated: Apr 5, 2012 7:49 AM ET

Ontarians will pay $319 more per year for green energy soon — despite government denials

By Bruce Sharp

The Ontario green-energy ship is taking on water and yet one would never know it from how the captain is talking. On March 22, the provincial government announced the results of its highly anticipated feed-in tariff (FIT) review and the message from the bridge was “Everything’s fine … stay the course.”

In supporting this message, the current captain/Minister of Energy Chris Bentley made reference to how green energy accounts for only about 5% of the increase in electricity bills. The problem with such a statement is it begs many questions, including 5% of what, and over what period?

A recent electricity price-increase forecast for 2012-16, filed with the Ontario Energy Board, helpfully provides answers, with wind and solar energy forecast to directly add $3.05-billion to annual provincial energy bills. Furthermore, if one makes conservative estimates for the costs required to integrate wind and solar, the added annual cost rises another $850-million. So, the additional annual cost for wind and solar will reach $3.9-billion by 2016, resulting in a residential bill increase of 3.17¢ per kilowatt hour or an annual $319 per household by 2016. In contrast to the current captain’s recent statement, this represents 54% of the total increase expected for 2012-16.

This number is a lot higher than 5%, so how did we get here?

The ship’s first captain — who long ago left the ship — allowed an external and somewhat self-interested group to craft the legislation that set Ontario electricity on a course for dangerous waters. At the time, the captain assured everyone that the Green Energy and Economy Act would increase bills by only 1% per year, while acknowledging that unit prices would rise significantly, so the only way for consumers to limit their increase would be to conserve. The problem is that in a business such as electricity, where most of the costs are fixed, uniformly reducing consumption leads to higher unit rates and largely unchanged bills. The only hope for conservers is that no one else will conserve and that they will be in the small minority.

Past and current captains alike have and continue to pull out a number of other life rafts that are full of holes. Here’s a few:

Renewables: Replace Coal The Retire Coal movement started in the run-up to the 2003 election, when the Liberals matched the New Democrat Party’s promise to phase out Ontario’s coal-fired generating plants. To deal with this loss, the Ontario Power Authority procured over 7,000 megawatts of new, natural gas-fired generation, most of which is now in service. The Renewables Replace Coal argument has come up belatedly, as a way of justifying the runaway development of green energy, the associated gold rush and approaching high bill increases. Too bad wind and solar are none of what coal and natural gas are: firm, dispatchable and flexible. So, Ontario’s onslaught of renewable energy could not be coming at a worse time — just as uber-flexible coal is being replaced by flexible-but-less-so natural gas and as renewable energy provides too much power at the wrong times. One ugly result is that Ontario will be paying more and more to generators to not generate.

Health savings: Back in 2005, the Ontario government commissioned a study that claimed that replacing coal would result in annual health savings of $2.6-billion. The preferred option to generate these questionable savings was — you guessed it — natural gas and not renewables. And what made the claimed savings questionable? The study authors incorrectly concluded there was a statistical cause-and-effect relationship between coal-fired generation and respiratory deaths — a fact that hasn’t prevented rampant misuse of the study (see University of Guelph economics professor Ross McKitrick’s work debunking this claim). On the off-chance the research was correct, now that coal-fired generation is down 85% from the study’s reference quantity, one would have expected that in his recent report Don Drummond would have talked about the supposed (pro-rated) annual health savings of $2.2-billion.

Green jobs: Any projection that never changes is worthy of suspicion. From the introduction of the Green Energy and Economy Act, it has always been claimed that it will produce 50,000 green jobs. These jobs are largely to come from expensive wind and solar and with their 20-year contract lives, one would hope that these types of generation would then produce the lion’s share of the million person-years (50,000 jobs x 20 years) of employment Ontario should expect to see. Not so, according to studies done in 2011 for Canada’s wind and solar trade associations. Looking at the 2009-28 period, wind is to produce 73,000 person-years of employment while solar is to produce 85,000 person-years. Within these numbers, once the renewable energy gold rush ends around 2018, the combined ongoing employment drops to a measly 2,100 jobs. And before we leave the green-jobs topic, let’s not forget the jobs issue the government never discusses: the other jobs destroyed by high electricity prices.

Income from electricity exports: Some see this as a good thing, but the fact that the quantity is growing and the sales are taking place at very low prices are both very negative factors. The increasing export quantity is a sign of excess supply — something that will only get worse over the next few years as Ontario adds huge quantities of wind, solar and other generation. The export sales also take place at prices that represent only pennies on the dollar relative to what was paid for the electricity. The current export price is under 2¢ per kWh and over the next five years is forecast to average under 3¢. So, if Ontario is buying at the respective prices of 13.5 and 44.3¢ per kWh and selling at small fractions of that, an increasing volume will only make matters worse.

In the end, Ontario will have expensive renewables that do not replace coal, do not deliver health savings, may cause a net job loss and that also contribute to a costly supply glut.

Who pays for all of this? Ontario electricity consumers in steerage. The upper decks, including offshore suppliers, far-flung and local project developers and investors, are all making out like bandits … and those setting Ontario’s course seem strangely indifferent to what’s happening on the lower decks.

Financial Post
Bruce Sharp is a professional engineer and 25-year veteran of the Ontario energy ­industry.

Thucydides said:
Elections have consequences part XXXV. If I were the leader of the PCPO I would be gathering a clan of economists to make a Drummond Report II and release it today. This message will have to be broadcast repeatedly so everyone will understand what needs to be done to extricate the province from a $3-400 billion debt and a $30 billion deficit come the end of this term in office. Given the exodus of capital, business and skilled labour spurred on by sharply increasing energy costs, I will bet on the high end of the scale as to the deficit and debt in that time frame:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/04/04/ontarios-power-trip-the-great-electricity-bill-cover-up/

Actually, Thucydides Drummond I, the existing report, is good enough. If the PCPO had a leader, rather than a cardboard cutout designed to appeal to the lunatic fringe, she would simply say: "Elect me and you get Drummond, all of it, because it's a good plan that shares the pain equitably without sacrificing the essentials of our social safety net or driving business and jobs away from Ontario." But, sadly, the PCPO has Tim Hudak, so my guess is that McGuinty survives. We, fiscal Conservatives, have shot ourselves in the foot by trying to appease the conservative extremists who are, simply, mindlessly slavering for their own kind of 'progressive thought' on social issues.

Agree for the most part, but given the huge increase in the debt and deficit I think a new report which is based on the new starting conditions is required. By the end of this term we mey need to see cuts of 20-25% rather than the 17% Drummond recommended. Even if the PCPO dumps Tim Hudak, I'm not sure thare is a potential leader with the spine to carry out Drummond II, much less Drummond I...

Thucydides said:
Even if the PCPO dumps Tim Hudak, I'm not sure thare is a potential leader with the spine to carry out Drummond II, much less Drummond I...

Mike Harris.

Its always interesting to do a comparative anaysis; California is one of the largest and wealthiest States in the US and has enacted simiar policies to the Ontario Liberals (but have been doing so for a longer period of time). The end results are quite telling; substitute Saskatchewan and ALberta for Utah and Texas in the story and we see the future of Ontario laid out...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304444604577340531861056966.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus
A leading U.S. demographer and 'Truman Democrat' talks about what is driving the middle class out of the Golden State.

By ALLYSIA FINLEY

'California is God's best moment," says Joel Kotkin. "It's the best place in the world to live." Or at least it used to be.

Mr. Kotkin, one of the nation's premier demographers, left his native New York City in 1971 to enroll at the University of California, Berkeley. The state was a far-out paradise for hipsters who had grown up listening to the Mamas & the Papas' iconic "California Dreamin'" and the Beach Boys' "California Girls." But it also attracted young, ambitious people "who had a lot of dreams, wanted to build big companies." Think Intel, Apple and Hewlett-Packard.

Now, however, the Golden State's fastest-growing entity is government and its biggest product is red tape. The first thing that comes to many American minds when you mention California isn't Hollywood or tanned girls on a beach, but Greece. Many progressives in California take that as a compliment since Greeks are ostensibly happier. But as Mr. Kotkin notes, Californians are increasingly pursuing happiness elsewhere.

Nearly four million more people have left the Golden State in the last two decades than have come from other states. This is a sharp reversal from the 1980s, when 100,000 more Americans were settling in California each year than were leaving. According to Mr. Kotkin, most of those leaving are between the ages of 5 and 14 or 34 to 45. In other words, young families.

The scruffy-looking urban studies professor at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., has been studying and writing on demographic and geographic trends for 30 years. Part of California's dysfunction, he says, stems from state and local government restrictions on development. These policies have artificially limited housing supply and put a premium on real estate in coastal regions.

"Basically, if you don't own a piece of Facebook or Google and you haven't robbed a bank and don't have rich parents, then your chances of being able to buy a house or raise a family in the Bay Area or in most of coastal California is pretty weak," says Mr. Kotkin.

While many middle-class families have moved inland, those regions don't have the same allure or amenities as the coast. People might as well move to Nevada or Texas, where housing and everything else is cheaper and there's no income tax.

And things will only get worse in the coming years as Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown and his green cadre implement their "smart growth" plans to cram the proletariat into high-density housing. "What I find reprehensible beyond belief is that the people pushing [high-density housing] themselves live in single-family homes and often drive very fancy cars, but want everyone else to live like my grandmother did in Brownsville in Brooklyn in the 1920s," Mr. Kotkin declares.

"The new regime"—his name for progressive apparatchiks who run California's government—"wants to destroy the essential reason why people move to California in order to protect their own lifestyles."

Housing is merely one front of what he calls the "progressive war on the middle class." Another is the cap-and-trade law AB32, which will raise the cost of energy and drive out manufacturing jobs without making even a dent in global carbon emissions. Then there are the renewable portfolio standards, which mandate that a third of the state's energy come from renewable sources like wind and the sun by 2020. California's electricity prices are already 50% higher than the national average.

Oh, and don't forget the $100 billion bullet train. Mr. Kotkin calls the runaway-cost train "classic California." "Where [Brown] with the state going bankrupt is even thinking about an expenditure like this is beyond comprehension. When the schools are falling apart, when the roads are falling apart, the bridges are unsafe, the state economy is in free fall. We're still doing much worse than the rest of the country, we've got this growing permanent welfare class, and high-speed rail is going to solve this?"

Mr. Kotkin describes himself as an old-fashioned Truman Democrat. In fact, he voted for Mr. Brown—who previously served as governor, secretary of state and attorney general—because he believed Mr. Brown "was interesting and thought outside the box."

But "Jerry's been a big disappointment," Mr. Kotkin says. "I've known Jerry for 35 years, and he's smart, but he just can't seem to be a paradigm breaker. And of course, it's because he really believes in this green stuff."

In the governor's dreams, green jobs will replace all of the "tangible jobs" that the state's losing in agriculture, manufacturing, warehousing and construction. But "green energy doesn't create enough energy!" Mr. Kotkin exclaims. "And it drives up the price of energy, which then drives out other things." Notwithstanding all of the subsidies the state lavishes on renewables, green jobs only make up about 2% of California's private-sector work force—no more than they do in Texas.

Of course, there are plenty of jobs to be had in energy, just not the type the new California regime wants. An estimated 25 billion barrels of oil are sitting untapped in the vast Monterey and Bakersfield shale deposits. "You see the great tragedy of California is that we have all this oil and gas, we won't use it," Mr. Kotkin says. "We have the richest farm land in the world, and we're trying to strangle it." He's referring to how water restrictions aimed at protecting the delta smelt fish are endangering Central Valley farmers.

Meanwhile, taxes are harming the private economy. According to the Tax Foundation, California has the 48th-worst business tax climate. Its income tax is steeply progressive. Millionaires pay a top rate of 10.3%, the third-highest in the country. But middle-class workers—those who earn more than $48,000—pay a top rate of 9.3%, which is higher than what millionaires pay in 47 states.

And Democrats want to raise taxes even more. Mind you, the November ballot initiative that Mr. Brown is spearheading would primarily hit those whom Democrats call "millionaires" (i.e., people who make more than $250,000 a year). Some Republicans have warned that it will cause a millionaire march out of the state, but Mr. Kotkin says that "people who are at the very high end of the food chain, they're still going to be in Napa. They're still going to be in Silicon Valley. They're still going to be in West L.A."

That said, "It's really going to hit the small business owners and the young family that's trying to accumulate enough to raise a family, maybe send their kids to private school. It'll kick them in the teeth."

A worker in Wichita might not consider those earning $250,000 a year middle class, but "if you're a guy working for a Silicon Valley company and you're married and you're thinking about having your first kid, and your family makes 250-k a year, you can't buy a closet in the Bay Area," Mr. Kotkin says. "But for 250-k a year, you can live pretty damn well in Salt Lake City. And you might be able to send your kids to public schools and own a three-bedroom, four-bath house."

According to Mr. Kotkin, these upwardly mobile families are fleeing in droves. As a result, California is turning into a two-and-a-half-class society. On top are the "entrenched incumbents" who inherited their wealth or came to California early and made their money. Then there's a shrunken middle class of public employees and, miles below, a permanent welfare class. As it stands today, about 40% of Californians don't pay any income tax and a quarter are on Medicaid.

It's "a very scary political dynamic," he says. "One day somebody's going to put on the ballot, let's take every penny over $100,000 a year, and you'll get it through because there's no real restraint. What you've done by exempting people from paying taxes is that they feel no responsibility. That's certainly a big part of it.

And the welfare recipients, he emphasizes, "aren't leaving. Why would they? They get much better benefits in California or New York than if they go to Texas. In Texas the expectation is that people work."

California used to be more like Texas—a jobs magnet. What happened? For one, says the demographer, Californians are now voting more based on social issues and less on fiscal ones than they did when Ronald Reagan was governor 40 years ago. Environmentalists are also more powerful than they used to be. And Mr. Brown facilitated the public-union takeover of the statehouse by allowing state workers to collectively bargain during his first stint as governor in 1977.

Mr. Kotkin also notes that demographic changes are playing a role. As progressive policies drive out moderate and conservative members of the middle class, California's politics become even more left-wing. It's a classic case of natural selection, and increasingly the only ones fit to survive in California are the very rich and those who rely on government spending. In a nutshell, "the state is run for the very rich, the very poor, and the public employees."

So if California's no longer the Golden land of opportunity for middle-class dreamers, what is?

Mr. Kotkin lists four "growth corridors": the Gulf Coast, the Great Plains, the Intermountain West, and the Southeast. All of these regions have lower costs of living, lower taxes, relatively relaxed regulatory environments, and critical natural resources such as oil and natural gas.

Take Salt Lake City. "Almost all of the major tech companies have moved stuff to Salt Lake City." That includes Twitter, Adobe, eBay and Oracle.

Then there's Texas, which is on a mission to steal California's tech hegemony. Apple just announced that it's building a $304 million campus and adding 3,600 jobs in Austin. Facebook established operations there last year, and eBay plans to add 1,000 new jobs there too.

Even Hollywood is doing more of its filming on the Gulf Coast. "New Orleans is supposedly going to pass New York as the second-largest film center. They have great incentives, and New Orleans is the best bargain for urban living in the United States. It's got great food, great music, and it's inexpensive."

What about the Midwest and the Rust Belt? Can they recover from their manufacturing losses?

"What those areas have is they've got a good work ethic," Mr. Kotkin says. "There's an established skill base for industry. They're very affordable, and they've got some nice places to live. Indianapolis has become a very nice city." He concedes that such places will have a hard time eclipsing California or Texas because they're not as well endowed by nature. But as the Golden State is proving, natural endowments do not guarantee permanent prosperity.

Ms. Finley is the assistant editor of OpinionJournal.com and a Journal editorial page writer.

Well, I'm sure progressives everywhere are celebrating the inevitable outcome of their project in Ontario. Bob Rae looks like a financial genius compared to McGuinty, and of course the contrast between the Harris government and this one is between day and night. I look forward to hearing the loud chorus of cheering and embracing of the credit downgrade:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/26/rivers-of-red-ink-for-ontario-blizzard

Rivers of red ink for Ontario

BY CHRISTINA BLIZZARD ,QMI AGENCY
FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, APRIL 26, 2012 06:44 PM EDT | UPDATED: FRIDAY, APRIL 27, 2012 03:21 PM EDT

Dwight Duncan said he “embraces” S&P’s evaluation because it means he can tell teachers and doctors to take a hike when it comes to pay negotiations.

TORONTO - You can set your watch by it.

Fifteen minutes after the stock market closes, Finance Minister Dwight Duncan invites us all to climb aboard the 4.45 express – to Debtville, Ont., where the river runs red in ink.

On Wednesday, Duncan called reporters to a news conference to tell us Standard and Poor’s had put the province on a negative credit watch.

I’ve seen some spin in my time, but Duncan saying he “embraces” S&P’s evaluation takes the cake. He said it means he can tell teachers and doctors to take a hike when it comes to pay negotiations.

Thursday, we were back. Same place, same time.

Moody’s – who’d put the province on a negative watch in December – has downgraded our credit rating from AA1 to AA2.

Somehow this is a good thing, according to Duncan.

“They want the parties of this minority Legislature to work together to hit the fiscal targets we’ve laid out,” he said.

Well, er, no.

Moody’s put the province on a negative watch awaiting the provincial budget. Now they’ve taken a look at it, they’re saying it doesn’t cut it.

S&P said the same.

“This is catastrophic for the province of Ontario,” said Tory finance critic Peter Shurman.

“If this government had listened to us six months ago, we’d be here today celebrating, we wouldn’t be here listening to a finance minister trying to justify why of three major credit rating agencies, one has put us on negative watch 24 hours ago and the one has now downgraded our credit rating,” Shurman said.

(Another rating agency, DBRS, maintained the province’s outlook as “stable.”)

The Moody’s report suggests the downgrade could affect the cost of borrowing for the province.

This government has brought this ugly mess on itself.

Sane fiscal managers were reining in spending when the economic downturn hit in 2008.

Not the McGuinty government.

They were pathetically unable to hold the line on public sector salaries and perks.

They introduced a so-called pay freeze in the 2010 budget – and then quietly gave public sector unions fat pay hikes.

Instead of apologizing for spending us to the brink of oblivion, Duncan tried to bluff his way through.

“We embrace their recommendations and we concur. We’ve set very difficult targets,” he said.

He’ll use the credit warnings as a blunt instrument to batter doctors and teachers.

It shows what nonsense it is for the Liberals to suggest the Tories should have worked with them on the budget.

The Tories couldn’t support it because it wasn’t a fiscally conservative document.

It did nothing to get the debt and deficit under control. The deficit is higher this year than last – and projects they’ll only take $100 million off it next year.

How can you believe Duncan will follow through on his threatened pay freeze when he reneged in 2010?

S&P says there’s “at least” a one in three chance they could lower the province’s long term rating one notch within two years.

That will push up the cost of borrowing on that massive debt the Liberals have racked up.

The S&P warning and Moody’s credit downgrade are searing indictments of the McGuinty government’s nine years of reckless overspending.

If there were a Ministry of Debt, it would be the third largest ministry – with a budget of $10.6 billion we’re paying in interest.

That’s an awful lot of health and education getting piddled down drain.

The saddest part is we’ve gone from the once proud economic engine of the country to the debt-ridden Ontario-owe.

Well the Liberal-NDP accord is working out so well for everyone in Ontario...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/newlywed-liberals-ndp-bicker-over-stalled-ontario-budget-bill/article2441207/

Newlywed Liberals, NDP bicker over stalled Ontario budget bill
KAREN HOWLETT
TORONTO— Globe and Mail Update
Published Wednesday, May. 23, 2012 1:05PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, May. 23, 2012 2:51PM EDT
227 comments

The short-lived marriage between Ontario’s minority Liberal government and the New Democrats has hit a bumpy patch, amid accusations that the accord between the two parties over the budget is in jeopardy.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan accused the NDP at a news conference on Wednesday of reneging on an agreement to support the Liberals, saying the budget bill is at risk of becoming stranded in the legislature. The NDP is using stall tactics to delay passing the bill before the legislature adjourns on June 7, he said, making it difficult for the government to implement its plan to eliminate the province’s $14.8-billion deficit by fiscal 2017-18.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY
Ontario’s math: Why S&P and Moody’s are so dubious
In the end, Ontario’s tax on rich largely a wasted effort
Crunching the Ontario NDP’s tax-the-rich numbers

“This is no time to play political games with the province’s finances,” Mr. Duncan said.

The budget bill contains major concessions aimed at saving Premier Dalton McGuinty’s minority government, including a new surtax on the rich and a freeze on corporate tax rates. NDP Leader Andrea Horwath pushed for these changes in return for supporting the budget.

But there appears to be a misunderstanding between the Liberals and the NDP over the exact nature of their verbal accord last month that helped the province dodge a snap election.

Mr. Duncan said it is his understanding that the New Democrats agreed to help the Liberals expedite the budget bill through the legislature and pass it into law before the summer recess.

“When is a deal not a deal,” he said.

NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson countered that the accord was just on the budget motion, not the omnibus budget bill that would hand the government new powers to privatize more public services and water down environmental protections.

The budget motion passed with all 52 Liberal MPPs voting in favour of it and, as widely expected, all 37 Progressive Conservatives voting against it. The NDP abstained from voting, despite winning concessions, because the budget does not do enough to create new jobs for many Ontarians out of work.

Mr. Bisson said the NDP is prepared to fast track the new 2 percentage point surtax on those who earn more than $500,000 and other fiscal measures. He declined to say how the 17 NDP caucus members will vote on the budget bill itself.

“But I can tell you this,” he said. “New Democrats are not going to throw Ontario into an election. I don’t think that’s what Conservatives want. I don’t think that’s what the Liberals want. We certainly don’t want it and I can tell you the public don’t either.”

The 350-page budget bill contains many measures that the New Democrats have problems with and that Mr. Bisson said need more scrutiny. For instance, he said, the bill would give the Liberals the power to create more entities like the scandal-plagued Ornge air ambulance service to handle government services. Conservation groups are urging the government to withdraw proposed changes to the Endangered Species Act in the bill that would exempt private landowners from taking measures to protect wildlife or habitat.

Liberal House Leader John Milloy said on Wednesday that he plans to table a time allocation motion next week to ensure speedy passage of the budget bill. If the NDP vote against timely passage of the bill, Mr. Milloy threatened to have the legislature sit until midnight every evening and extend the session into the summer months.

Mr. Bisson said the Liberals need to understand that there are three parties in the legislature. If they all work together, they can reach an agreement, he said.

“This government is so used to using time allocation they think there’s no other way to govern,” he said.

Progressive Conservative MPP Peter Shurman also said Mr. McGuinty and Mr. Duncan have to cooperate with the opposition.

“The Liberals spent eight years with significant majorities and did whatever they pleased, and now they can’t do whatever they please and they’re acting like whiners,” Mr. Shurman told reporters.

The real problem is no one is willing to risk another election (despite the fact it is badly needed), so all kinds of fiddling and posturing will take place instead. Sadly the possible outcome may be to emulate the US Senate, where the Democrat majority has neither proposed nor passed a budget for more than three years (despite the legal requirement to do so). Going rudderless for another term will be just as disasterous for Ontario as the previous two terms, but there seems to be no mechanism to fix this right now.

Making Ontario a "Right to Work" province might kick start the economy; we certainly need something to upend the status quo right now:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/05/30/ontario-needs-workers-choice/

Ontario needs workers’ choice

Special to Financial Post  May 30, 2012 – 7:20 PM ET

GDP has stagnated as we cozy up to unions

By Randy Hillier

From Timiskaming to Niagara, from Thunder Bay to Ottawa, Ontario has legislation that denies individuals one of their most basic human rights. We have legislation that unemploys or underemploys thousands and that erodes the productivity of Ontario.

Whether you believe it came from Pierre Trudeau’s Charter or a God-given right, you are endowed with the right of freedom of association. You have the right to determine what people you deal with, what organizations you support, what political party you would like to join, or none at all. But it is illegal for you to choose whether you want to be part of a union or not, when there is a union in the workplace.

In Ontario, it is completely legal to force, coerce, or bully people into joining a union. What’s even worse is that the law actually makes it easy to happen. Take, for example, two carpenters working for the city of Hamilton. They showed up for work on a Saturday and used a nasty trick called “card-based certification” to unionize not just carpentry tenders but all construction work in the city that might include carpentry.

The result was that 243 of the 260 contractors registered with the city, or 93.5%, are not allowed to bid on city projects, because their workers chose not to be unionized.

The 17 unionized workforces registered with the city gained monopoly privilege over all city contracts.

The effect of Ontario’s legislation isn’t just to undermine one’s rights, but to force inequality on the people of Ontario under the guise of equality.

According to Statistics Canada, the average unionized worker in Ontario makes 25.7% more than their non-unionized counterparts, not including benefits. What’s unfair is that this comes at the expense of all taxpayers and non-unionized employees who are frozen out of public-sector projects.

Union members receive fatter cheques because they constrain an employer’s labour supply. It’s all supply and demand. When there are fewer labourers, their wages rise. Even ECON 101 textbooks will tell you that labour unions are significantly responsible for wage rigidity and, in turn, structural unemployment. The classic union argument that union members’ increased wages are at the expense of their greedy corporate bosses is simply untrue. Depending on the study, you find that the entirety or the majority of their wage increases come at the expense of the wages of the remaining 80% of workers. And that’s if they are not unemploying them.

This unfairness — this government-supported unemployment or underemployment of thousands — is compounded with economic stagnation. Over the past nine years of cozying up to the unions, Ontario has seen its inflation-adjusted per-capita GDP grow by a paltry 0.86%. And if our productivity were not bad enough, our labour policies are actually forcing jobs out of Ontario.

Take, for example, the Electromotive plant in London. The firm was in a bargaining battle with the local union. Electromotive wanted to introduce a new pay scale that would not affect any current employees. It did not want to fire any current employees. All it wanted was the flexibility to pay unskilled new hires less than current employees. New unskilled hires would still be paid well above minimum wage; new skilled hires would be paid the same as before.

But the CAW thought that future union dues were more important than the jobs of workers. Electromotive decided to shut its doors in Ontario and move to Indiana’s green pastures. This meant that 240 workers lost their jobs — and their high wages — when they wouldn’t have had to lose either if their union had let them decide.

There is a solution to the repression of our rights and freedoms, to our stagnating economy and to our jobs crisis here in Ontario.

Jurisdictions that emphasize workers’ choice grow the fastest. It should be no surprise that Alberta and Saskatchewan are the economic engines of Canada today. It should be no surprise that Denmark is leading the EU. It should be no surprise that states with right-to-work laws have had quintuple the private-sector job growth of non-right-to-work states from 1990-2006, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Ontario should be learning from places like Alberta, Texas and Hong Kong. If we want to unleash the productive capacities of our workers and of our workplaces, we need to reform our labour legislation so that individuals can chose how they want to work. We need to bring back freedom of association to the workplace

If we want to get a rusty wheel moving again, we spray some WD-40 on it. If we want to get a rust belt working again, we need to bring freedom, justice and democracy back to the workplaces of Ontario. That’s why I’ve introduced worker’s choice legislation here in Ontario.

Financial Post
Randy Hillier is the MPP for Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington and Ontario PC labour critic.

Precisely because it goes against union interests, this measure will never be introduced by the provincial Liberals. They owe far too much of their success to the unions.

Now this could also go under the "Democracy in trouble" thread, where unelected and unaccountable people have added $180 million dollars to the burden of Ontarian's debt and delayed a power generating station which was also badly needed. Read the article carefully and ask yourself "who is responsible?"

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/07/12/matt-gurney-ontario-liberals-find-way-to-look-even-worse-on-nixed-power-plant/

Matt Gurney: Ontario Liberals find way to look even worse on nixed power plant

Matt Gurney  Jul 12, 2012 – 2:32 PM ET | Last Updated: Jul 12, 2012 6:48 PM ET

Ontario Energy Minister Chris Bentley: “Hey, it wasn't my decision. It was that person's.”
.Comments

In the run up to last October’s provincial elections, it looked like one of the ridings in the Toront0-area city of Mississauga might fall to the Progressive Conservatives. Premier Dalton McGuinty had a come-to-Jesus moment and decided that, heck, all those people who’d been complaining about that natural gas power plant he’d been planning to build — or had in fact begun building — in their backyard were right after all. The plant was scrapped, and the Liberals carried the riding by 6,000 votes.

The Liberals revealed yesterday, during the announcement that a replacement plant would be built in Sarnia, that the decision to scrap the partially constructed Mississauga plant would cost the province $180-million. That’s bad. But as bad as that is, especially given that Ontario is essentially broke and must borrow the $180-million it wasted, it’s not the worst part of this whole affair. The really bad news was revealed on Wednesday by Ontario Energy Minister Chris Bentley.

Speaking before the Ontario legislature’s expenditures committee, Bentley was forced to acknowledge that the decision to scrap the power plant was not made by the government, per se. It was instead a decision made by the Ontario Liberal Party’s election campaign team, announced via press release. It has long been obvious that the decision to scrap the plant was politically motivated, but Bentley’s remarks were the first time it was ever revealed that the decision was political, full stop.

Bentley made some fair points when trying to defend that the decision was made … namely that the Ontario Progressive Conservatives and NDP had also made politically motivated promises to kill the plant as part of their effort to steal the riding away from the Liberals. Fair enough … pointing out hypocrisy among one’s political rivals is always fair game. He also said that since he was made minister only after the election, he couldn’t speak to the process that went into the decision to cancel the plant. He was told to implement what his party had promised and had done so. Again, fair enough.

But while that may absolve Bentley of direct personal responsibility for a complete waste of $180-million during times of fiscal austerity, it doesn’t do much to make the Ontario Liberal Party look any better. Bentley concedes that while he doesn’t know who in the Liberal campaign made the decision to scrap the plant, it did come from within his party. He says it was not Dalton McGuinty or Greg Sorbera, a Liberal MP and the Liberals’ campaign chief.

So if the decision wasn’t made by the government collectively, if it wasn’t made by the Premier, if it wasn’t made by the elected campaign chief and the current energy minister didn’t even get the job until after it was made … who made it? This isn’t just political trivia. The people of Ontario will end up paying for this $180-million mistake, and the interest that accrues against it. Truthfully pointing out that one’s rivals would have made the same decision doesn’t cut it. The Liberals did make the decision. They had a choice, and made it. It’d be nice if someone in the party was willing to stand up and at least acknowledge the cost to Ontarians and take some responsibility for the whole affair, which has been bungled from the start.

But that’s unlikely to happen, and there’s nothing we can do to make it happen. This is what results from decisions affecting 13 million people that are made by political party staff members, not elected representatives. The cost to cancel the Mississauga power plant is the least democratic $180-million Ontario has ever spent.

National Post

It now seems that Ontarians have the means to unseat the McGuinty government through a series of byelections. The first one seemed like dirty politics but now we have three(?) seats in play so a series of byelections could change the electoral map. Sadly even the best result will not allow anyone to get a majority, and I can forsee McGuinty extending the informal arrangement with the NDP to continue to have a grip on power and access to the treasury:

http://clownatmidnight.blogspot.ca/2012/08/lasciate-ogni-speranza.html

Lasciate Ogni Speranza

A long serving MPP quits, throwing the QP rumour mill into overdrive. What could have caused this departure? Divisions within caucus? Leader's office being too controlling? Trouble on the home front, perhaps?

Well, no such luck when it comes to the Don of Vaughan, Greg Sorbara. Two days after he quit, and nobody- nobody- dares to speculate. When Elizabeth Witmer packs it in, you get an avalanche of tweets saying she did it just to stick a knife in Hudak's back, even though she herself said differently. But Sorbara? Above all suspicion.

Is it even that hard to believe that the combined weight of ORNGE, the looming battle with teachers over negotiating new contracts, the ongoing battle with doctors, the revelation that we're pouring money into underpowered green energy projects that yield nothing, and Sorbara's own leadership ambitions being frustrated by Dalton doing his best Bill Davis impression made him decide to get out of la cucina before things got too hot? Sure, that's not too much of a stretch. But apparently it's too much to handle for the press, or for the Twitterati.

OK, how about something a little easier to digest? How about the fact that the Liberals are behind misleading survey calls in the Waterloo region talking about a fictitious PC Party plan to "lay off thousands of teachers"? Are we going to let this pass unnoticed?

Don't everyone rush forward at once.

Can we now get rid of that albatross Tim Hudak?  Please??

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Can we now get rid of that albatross Tim Hudak?  Please??

I'm sure the PCPO will be forming a circular firing squad soon...

A look at how the byelections might set the stage for the general election:

http://princearthurherald.com/news/detail/?id=e9c1fa62-7e09-4e2e-9733-7632642de66d

Kitchener-Waterloo: a wake-up call for Ontario's parties
by Bruce A. Stewart
15 September 2012

McGuinty has tripled the provincial debt from what he inherited, and even if he got everything to break his way, would still add another $15 billion in deficit spending this year.

On Thursday, September 6, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty’s roll of the dice came up snake eyes.

Earlier in the year, one seat short of a bare majority, he bought the resignation of the MP for Kitchener-Waterloo, Elizabeth Witmer (PC) with the Chair’s job at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. The goal was to win the resulting by-election and have a secure government.

Complicating matters for the McGuinty Government is the perilous state of provincial finances. His budget for 2012-13 is based on a true zero percent increase in salary and benefit costs (indeed, it includes some minor givebacks to reduce unfunded future liabilities) across the over one million members of the broader public sector in the province.

This, for the Premier who has tripled the provincial debt from what he inherited, and who, even if he got everything to break his way, would still add another $15 billion in deficit spending this year.

Amongst the first in his gunsights were the various teachers’ unions. In Ontario, the unions are supposed to negotiate with the various municipal school boards. McGuinty took that out of local hands and decided to impose a province-wide approach this time around.

Then he dictated his terms, and called it negotiation. When the two main teachers’ unions put counter-proposals on the table, the government walked away.

The result was, a week and a half before by-election day, the Legislature was recalled early to vote of the Putting Students First Act, which imposed the financial settlement the government wanted and banned strike action (none were planned).

The Legislature had eight working days before the by-election, and given that the PCs were prepared to vote with the Liberals to smack down the unions you might have expected the bill would be passed in short order, especially since one reason given for the early recall to Queens Park was to forestall contracted and scheduled increases on September 1.

The McGuinty Government didn’t want to pass the bill that fast, though. Having it “pending” was deemed better by-election strategy than having it passed.

Meanwhile the unions, who had been strong financial and third-party supporters — almost US-Super PAC style — through the 2003, 2007 and 2011 elections, went to work in Kitchener-Waterloo.

They weren’t about to back the PC candidate: not only were Tim Hudak’s Conservatives supporting contract-busting, but their policies call for slightly tougher conditions. They’re done, as well, with McGuinty.

So they backed the most popular leader in the province, Andrea Horwath, and her NDP. (It didn’t hurt that the candidate for the NDP was Catherine Fife, former head of the school board in Kitchener-Waterloo.)

The outcome? The NDP went from third to a solid first, winning 40% of the vote. The PCs slipped to second. McGuinty’s Liberal flagbearer fell into third, with a bare 24% — one third of the Liberal vote from a year earlier gone.

Current provincial polls show the PCs ahead of the NDP, but they have the Liberals in third province-wide.

Next up, McGuinty has to finish reining in the medical sector, then tackle the government’s own employees, then push his 0% out to the parts of the broader public sector he doesn’t control but does pay for, such as the universities.

Meanwhile, the teachers’ unions aren’t standing still. They’re taking the McGuinty government to court — bargaining in bad faith, refusing to bargain, tearing up contracts, that sort of thing. (If similar decisions from British Columbia are anything to go by, they’ll win, and Ontario will be forced back to the table.)

They’re also in negotiation with the rest of their “Working Families Coalition” partners about how to handle future elections — including the likely provincial one next year, when both the PCs and the NDP will be ready to bring the McGuinty government down.

Political cognoscenti like to remind everyone about the Rae years (Ontario’s only NDP government to date) but four million Ontario voters never experienced them: in 1990-95 they either weren’t here, or were small children. Indeed, the first three years of the Harris governments that everyone likes to scream out — the only three years he tried making change — are equally distant in the past.

If the PCs want to win, they’re going to have to resolve their ambivalence about Harris. They’d have a $13 billion deficit — that’ll get them yet another credit downgrade just like McGuinty’s $15 billion will. In other words, if you’re talking about reining in spending, you actually have to do it.

Then there’s the NDP. They’ll have the same union backing that elected the Liberals three times in a row. They’re probably the only one of the three parties that actually has the chops to use revenue and expenditure reductions to get to balance (much like Roy Romanow did in Saskatchewan, or Darrell Dexter is doing in Nova Scotia, or Adrian Dix will have to do next year in British Columbia). The unions won’t like that either — but it’ll be better than what they’d get otherwise. (Interpolation: Really? The NDP will reign in spending?)

Horwath knows this. She’s been positioning her party for two years now to get ready for it — inside the party and in her public positions on issues.

Kitchener-Waterloo, in other words, isn’t your typical by-election “kick the government” moment. It’s a harbinger of the next Ontario General Election. Expect an Orange Wave in Ontario to battle it out with the PCs with victory going to who picks up the most collapsing Liberal seats.

Either pary is going to inherit a very bad economic situation, and also have to contend with global forces like a lingering US recession, the EUzone debt crisis and instability across the Middle East and Islamic crescent. What is probably worse is I predict no party will get a clear majority, so instead of rapid action we will get all kinds of jury rigged compromises to get bills passed.

CBC radio is reporting that Premier Dalton McGuinty is resigning as premier/has resigned; he says, according to CBC, that he will stay on a premier until a replacement is selected. Also, CBC says, he as asked LG to prorogue the legislature.

E.R. Campbell said:
CBC radio is reporting that Premier Dalton McGuinty is resigning as premier/has resigned; he says, according to CBC, that he will stay on a premier until a replacement is selected. Also, CBC says, he as asked LG to prorogue the legislature.

I sure hope so, we desperately need some fiscal conservatives in there. He bought the last election with the gas plant switch, and realized how much he screwed up.

Prorogation puts a stop to current business, including contempt proceedings against Energy Minister Chris Bently.

Back