• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario to recognize military driver’s permits for equivalence

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From the provincial Info-machine:
Ontario is making it easier for Canadian military personnel and veterans to exchange their military driver's licence for a number of Ontario driver's licences.

Starting July 1, Department of National Defence (DND) 404 military driver's permits will become recognized equivalents for a number of Ontario commercial and passenger licences.

The change comes after the province completed an extensive review of DND licencing standards, which showed that military training and testing requirements meet or exceed Ontario's licence testing standards.

Allowing military personnel and veterans to use their DND 404 permits will reduce time associated with obtaining commercial licences required for employment in sectors such as the trades. The province will waive knowledge and road tests for those with a DND 404 driver's permit, but will still require applicants to complete a vision test, meet medical standards, satisfy identification requirements and pay a fee.

Ensuring Ontario's roads and highways are safe is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
Quick Facts
  • Organizations including the DND and Helmets to Hardhats requested the proposed regulatory change.
  • For July 1, 2015, implementation.
  • Manitoba and Quebec already recognize the DND 404 permit for licence equivalency.
(....)
News release also attached in case link doesn't work for you.

Manitoba was the first to do this.  There are now a few provinces that offer equivalency. 

I was in a meeting with the TpT HQ types and was informed that eventually the hope is that CAF members will not have to obtain civilian drivers licenses and can eventually drive seamlessly in Canada with only their 404s.  Seems like a good idea to me since I fail to see why it can't be accepted at par.

MCG said:
Manitoba was the first to do this.  There are now a few provinces that offer equivalency.

It's a pity that Manitoba can't do the same thing with regular licenses...it was easier getting my security clearance than my MB DL - I honestly felt like I had a colonoscopy by the time I finally got it.

MM

I doubt you will ever be exempt having a provincial drivers license.  It is a form of taxation.

Wonder if they'll look at equivalences for driver instr/examiner. Would get a lot of people cheaper car insurance.

Ontario to recognize military’s A/Z-equivalent driver’s permits

June 22, 2015
by Truck News

TORONTO, Ont. — Beginning in July, the province of Ontario will recognize Department of National Defence (DND) 404 driver’s permits, allowing such licence-holders to more easily transition into the private sector and commercial driving jobs.

Manitoba and Quebec already recognize the DHD 404 permit for licence equivalency. Ontario conducted an extensive review of DND licensing standards and found the militario training and testing requirements meet or exceed Ontario’s standards.

This means, a driver who was qualified to operate heavy-duty vehicles in the military will have that licence recognized by Ontario. Knowledge and road tests will be waived, but the licence-holder will still have to pass a vision test, meet medical standards, satisfy identification requirements and pay a fee.

“Ontario is proud to support the brave men and women who dedicate themselves to serving and protecting our country. We’re honoured to stand with organizations like Helmets to Hardhats and help serving members and veterans transition to civilian life and employment,” announced Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation.

The Ontario trucking industry welcomed the development.

“The Ontario Trucking Association (OTA) has always had a strong relationship with the Canadian military. Today’s announcement by Ontario’s Minister of Transportation Steven Del Duca represents an innovative way to integrate military personal into the trucking industry as they transition into civilian life,” said David Bradely, OTA CEO and president.

Bumping this thread with a question.

Which licenses does this apply to?  Is it strictly commercial vehicle, or could someone with LSVW/LUVW obtain a full G class license?

I'm planning on calling Service Ontario tomorrow, but I'd rather not waste their time (or mine on hold) if someone already knows.

Thanks!

Thirty seconds on Google:

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r15144?_ga=1.204445136.1334033725.1439250452

http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r15145?_ga=1.204445136.1334033725.1439250452

(1) A resident of Ontario who applies for a Class A, C, D, F or G driver’s licence and, if applicable, an air brake endorsement to that licence and pays the prescribed fee is not required to take the applicable examinations under clauses 15 (1) (a) to (d) and subsection 15 (2) of Ontario Regulation 340/94 (Drivers’ Licences) made under the Act if,

(a) the applicant is the holder or former holder of a DND 404 permit of an equivalent class with, if applicable, an air brake endorsement or certification that authorizes the operation of a motor vehicle equipped with air brakes, or a combination of such a vehicle and towed vehicles;

(b) the DND 404 permit with, if applicable, the endorsement or certification is not subject to special conditions and restrictions; and

(c) the applicant meets the requirements set out in subsection (2).

(2) The applicant must meet the following requirements:

1. The applicant must be a member or former member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

2. The applicant must have held a DND 404 permit for at least 24 months.

3. In the case of an applicant who is the holder of a DND 404 permit with, if applicable, an air brake endorsement or certification, the permit must not be suspended or cancelled.

4. In the case of an applicant who is the former holder of a DND 404 permit with, if applicable, an air brake endorsement or certification,

i. the permit must not have been suspended or cancelled at the time it was surrendered to the Department of National Defence (Canada) or at the time the applicant was released from the Canadian Armed Forces, and

ii. the applicant must have held the permit with, if applicable, the endorsement or certification within the three years prior to the application.

5. For each province or territory of Canada that issued to the applicant a driver’s licence with, if applicable, an air brake endorsement, the most recent driver’s licence issued to the applicant by that province or territory must not be suspended or cancelled.

(3) In this section,

“DND 404 permit” means a permit issued by the Department of National Defence (Canada) authorizing persons to drive its vehicles.

Thanks for the information!

Can you please tell me what you searched for in order to yield those results?  I honestly looked and thought I was being thorough with my search terms but didn't find anything with exception to news relating to the new rule.

EDIT: Of course, I just now searched for "ontario.ca 404 to g license" and found the answer you provided.  I believe I was initially searching for "ontario, 404 to civilian license", "ontario, military to civilian license", and other terms that didn't properly word what I was looking for.

Thanks again!

LoKe said:
Thanks for the information!

Can you please tell me what you searched for in order to yield those results?  I honestly looked and thought I was being thorough with my search terms but didn't find anything with exception to news relating to the new rule.

Use Google by entering "army.ca, key words " and you should find things quicker.

George Wallace said:
Use Google by entering "army.ca, key words " and you should find things quicker.
I did try that, even specified a date after June 2015 to find more current information, and never hit the result I was looking for.  Apparently my Google skills are weaker than I initially thought.

Back