• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Openly Gay NS Liberal MP Scott Brison's Christmas card slammed

Jingo said:
Nobody should hate each other for doing what they feel is right to them.
I think this is the crux of the issue as raised by FastEddy.

The statement above is typical of moral relativism.  "It's OK for them" may count for amoral things, such as speed limits, colour of hair, or whatever.  "It's their way, so who are we to say?" is not, when it comes to moral issues.  Is homosexuality a moral issue?  Methinks not.  Or maybe it is.  I don't know.  But, the statement by itself that excusing others' behaviour because it "feels right" to them shouldn't be applied as wide as is stated above. 

That is all.

You shouldn't hold it against gays for doing what feels right to them.
What about mass murderers who kill because it feels right to them?
Thats different murdering people is breaking the law.
In many places homosexuality is illegal.
It's only illegal because of the various religions saying it is.
So separate church and state.
:nod:

FD for the win, and the crowd goes wild.

CountDC said:
ok

OLD MAN

That was nice , I didn't say anything bad about gays ! Iam saying I don't like them or there lifestile ! and its not normal , but you have to call me names. That was very grownup for you.

I think he was just having some fun at your expense..............................good thing you're not Gay, you would have to buy a thicker skin.

Merry Christmas all!!

bilton090 said:
That was nice , I didn't say anything bad about gays ! Iam saying I don't like them or there lifestile ! and its not normal , but you have to call me names. That was very grownup for you.

LOL
Don't be a cry baby.
You stated your opinion then turned around and said feel free to call me names. Someone makes a joke and you get butt hurt.

You don't need to beat around the bush (I wonder if there's some kinda joke......ah nevemind).
If you don't like Homosexuals and gay marriage the just say, Hey, me I don't like it. End of story.
Whether it's normal or not is probably open to argument but your opinion is your opinion, no need to defend it dude.

Me I don't like flaming in your face Hollywood style homosexual's and I'm not going to apologize for it.
Also included- Grumpy veterans, abrasive native Americans, radical islamic apologists and people wearing different colored socks running around telling everyone how enlightened and progressive they are.

Don't apologize for your beliefs but if you prompt people to call you names, and the oblige. Well what do you expect?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...........good thing you're not Gay, you would have to buy a thicker skin.
Or use someone else's skin like Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.
I'm not sure if he was Gay or what his deal was though. All that stuff confuses me (Like Luke Skywalker french kissing his sister in Starwars, how come no one else seems weirded out by that??)

Flawed Design said:
LOL
Don't be a cry baby.
You stated your opinion then turned around and said feel free to call me names. Someone makes a joke and you get butt hurt.

You don't need to beat around the bush (I wonder if there's some kinda joke......ah nevemind).
If you don't like Homosexuals and gay marriage the just say, Hey, me I don't like it. End of story.
Whether it's normal or not is probably open to argument but your opinion is your opinion, no need to defend it dude.

Me I don't like flaming in your face Hollywood style homosexual's and I'm not going to apologize for it.
Also included- Grumpy veterans, abrasive native Americans, radical islamic apologists and people wearing different colored socks running around telling everyone how enlightened and progressive they are.

Don't apologize for your beliefs but if you prompt people to call you names, and the oblige. Well what do you expect?
Or use someone else's skin like Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.
I'm not sure if he was Gay or what his deal was though. All that stuff confuses me (Like Luke Skywalker french kissing his sister in Starwars, how come no one else seems weirded out by that??)

Your right ,  What I was tiring to say was the P.C. people are going to have a hay day !. LOL 

It was a nice picture , they look so gay, ( happy )

A lot of this seems to boil down to misunderstanding what morality is.  Is morality relative?  Some think so - I don't.  However, does that mean I try to force my morality on others?  Not a chance!

Certain things, like the behaviour of previously mentioned Charles Manson, for example, are disallowed, and punished, by society because they are inherently dangerous to that same society.  That's the point of many laws.  They are society's self preservation mechanism.  His behaviour was both immoral and illegal.  He's in jail because it was illegal, not immoral.  He's currently paying the price for the illegality of his actions.  The immorality of his actions will only be dealt with (IMHO!) when he meets his Maker.  The two issues are separate.

Other things, like, for another example, taking the Lord's name in vain, are hardly illegal (although I am aware that there are various laws still on the books in various places that make it illegal, but these are vestigal laws and never enforced in the modern, western, world).  Some of us might think that taking the Lord's name in vain is nonetheless immoral.  Okay.  The legality and morality of the same action are separate issues.  That's why no one is going to throw you in jail (in Canada anyway!) for swearing, but they will for robbing banks.

Society has decided that homosexuality should not be illegal (a move I agree with, BTW).  That has no impact on people's different beliefs about morality.  One could still believe homosexual activity is immoral, but support it's legality.

Morality, when it's thought out, is usually linked to a persons theological or religious beliefs (as vague as they may be for some folks).  When it's not thought out, it's usually just knee-jerk reactions.

But, morality and legality are two separate issues.  And, in the society we live in, we cannot enforce our morality on someone other than ourselves.  Our laws, however, should apply to all equally.

Just my two cents.  Your mileage may vary.

edited to correct typos and grammar.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I type like I've got mitts on... ::)

Wow, given the title of the thread and some of the ensuing commentary, I expected a photo of Mr. Brison and his amour in some type of torrid, teetering on X-rated embrace. It's actually a very tasteful and beautiful card. They look very happy. I have to wonder why anyone would have a problem with it. Do some just not like it when others are happy? What a silly thing to get ruffled over.  ::)

Celticgirl said:
Wow, given the title of the thread and some of the ensuing commentary, I expected a photo of Mr. Brison and his amour in some type of torrid, teetering on X-rated embrace. It's actually a very tasteful and beautiful card. They look very happy. I have to wonder why anyone would have a problem with it. Do some just not like it when others are happy? What a silly thing to get ruffled over.  ::)
I'm actually surprised that the card even made the news.  It's a nice card, and I'm certain that all MPs send out their fair share of cards during the holidays.  Though one could offer up that the news services were trolling for responses, and then shut down those responses when some made some comments that didn't fit the "cause du jour" or the "party line".  You know, the lines of "It's OK to be gay" or "They look very happy".  The fact that the comments were shut down is the story (IMHO), not the card.  Especially when some comments are so ironic, such as the one I posted earlier from one of the news sites, in which someone stated that it was great that the couple could express their love for each other without fear of recrimination, and in the next sentence, advocated some fairly harsh treatment for those who expressed otherwise.  In other words, "toe the line" or else.

That's my point.

Technoviking said:
I'm actually surprised that the card even made the news.  It's a nice card, and I'm certain that all MPs send out their fair share of cards during the holidays.  Though one could offer up that the news services were trolling for responses, and then shut down those responses when some made some comments that didn't fit the "cause du jour" or the "party line".  You know, the lines of "It's OK to be gay" or "They look very happy".  The fact that the comments were shut down is the story (IMHO), not the card.  Especially when some comments are so ironic, such as the one I posted earlier from one of the news sites, in which someone stated that it was great that the couple could express their love for each other without fear of recrimination, and in the next sentence, advocated some fairly harsh treatment for those who expressed otherwise.  In other words, "toe the line" or else.

That's my point.

Point taken. One thing to add, though. While I agree that people are entitled to have (and to give) their opinions, I think that the timing of this 'opinion giving' is the problem. In other words, this is the wrong time to tell everyone what you/I/we think (positive or negative) about homosexuality. That's not what the card is about. It's Christmas, and two people are sharing a nice, warm holiday wish with others. Let's save the morality debate for another time and place.

MHO

Celticgirl said:
Point taken. One thing to add, though. While I agree that people are entitled to have (and to give) their opinions, I think that the timing of this 'opinion giving' is the problem. In other words, this is the wrong time to tell everyone what you/I/we think (positive or negative) about homosexuality. That's not what the card is about. It's Christmas, and two people are sharing a nice, warm holiday wish with others. Let's save the morality debate for another time and place.

MHO

It's a fact that some Christian sects, abhor homosexuality, hence why it is why this card has raised the Ire of some at this time of the year.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
It's a fact that some Christian sects, abhor homosexuality, hence why it is why this card has raised the Ire of some at this time of the year.

dileas

tess

You are right , it is a Christian holiday ! we don't need to see it at this time of year , at the tax payers dollar.

bilton090 said:
You are right , it is a Christian holiday ! we don't need to see it at this time of year , at the tax payers dollar.

Its nice to be fair to all the people of Canada , but its a Christian holiday , we don't need that pushed in your face , we see it all year long.

So, now being gay is anti-Christian, and being gay shouldn't be allowed at Christmas?

I've never felt anyone else's personal choices were being "pushed in my face" just because someone tries to sell newspapers based on the possible controversy, you're acting like you expect it to become compulsory next.

Locked for Christmas,........let's see if anyone cares on Boxing Day.
Bruce

Hmmkay, unlocked for Boxing Day.

Keep it civil.

Michael O'Leary said:
just because someone tries to sell newspapers based on the possible controversy
This, I think, is key.  The PM sent out a card that wished both Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah.  That didn't make the press.  But I think you're right, it was about selling papers in a possible controversy, and the story became the story itself, as comments were shut down "to keep the barbarians from speaking out."

Back