• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oral communication

IamCanadian

Inactive
Reaction score
I would imagine good oral communication is extremely important in the CF, but I have been a fairly quiet person most of my life and tend to mumble. It is a problem I am working on improving and was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation prior to applying to the CF? If so how did you deal with it? It's been difficult for me to change.

From the reoccurring nightmares I keep having about basic and battleschool you do very little talking aside from Yes Sir, Yes Sargent, Yes MCpl. In the bn we had a rad op who stuttered and due to the use of brevity it did not affect him. Another thought just occurred you may be one of the lucky ones as another often heard quote was "keep your voice down". Have you looked into Toast Masters in your area? They are a group that practices speaking skills usually meets once or twice a month.

Choo

I have seen many quiet people join up and spend two or three years just doing what they are told and not speaking up but usually when they find a good group to work with they tend to speak out. I know many of our best troops started out as very quiet before stepping forward and taking the lead, I guess they just had to find something to motivate them.

Hey Makaveli,

When I first joined up I was a fairly quiet person as well. I found myself talking only when I was spoken too. The first couple of weeks are the toughest because you are in an unfamiliar place and you don't know anyone. Once you get comfortable with your surroundings and your roommates than life starts to get a little easier. Apart from what 3rd Herd had mentioned, you do more talking than "YES SGT. and NO SGT". There will be times when you are "platoon senior" or "section senior" and you have to take commande of your platoon or section. This requires good oral communication skills as your job requires you to relay information from the 2 I/C to the troops and to get your taskings done. No one expects much from a recruit for his/her first time as a platoon senior. Some people are natural born leaders and some are natural born followers. I believe that it's all in how much confidence someone has in themselves. If the person is confident that they know what they're talking about, than they will be confident in relaying the message to the rest of the platoon. My main point is to just speak up. If you have a suggestion that you think will help your section, than offer it to them. If you're platoon senior for a day, speak with confidence. The worst thing to do is hide and have no one notice you. Basic can be the time of your life, or it can be hell. It's what you make of it. Keep a positive attitude and if you get jacked up by an instructor, don't take it personally, just correct what you did wrong. Anyone with a little heart and determination will make it through Basic. Good luck and hope this helps.

:salute: :cdn:

to makaveli....ive got the same problem...if i speak up im too loud and if i try to keep a normal tone i mumble....i cant get the inbetween...even at 33 years old

Have the same problem with my 12 yr old.... he mumbles, it's a normal part of growing up :)

Trust me when I say that, by the time you make it to MCpl; you will have been cured of all traces of mumbling.

Don't sweat it - we've all gone thru it, many years from now - people will be asking what it takes to shut you up ;)

Back