• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oral Presentation Idea

Wear one of these during your presentation:

po1008417-front.jpg

po547537-back.jpg

krimynal said:
yeah but people in my class are pretty subjective of the whole killing people stuff .... they do know that it happens , but I'm trying to show them the other side , the fact that its not ALL we do ..... the fact that we also have great individual that are not thrill about killing people and keeping a record of how many hits they've made !
A quick analogy - just because a police officer can legally kill someone as a last resort doesn't mean:
1)  that's ALL he does, and
2)  that s/he doesn't have a lot of other tools in the belt to get the job of policing done.

I like the idea of the shirt , wearing something representing the forces other than my Combat uniform is a good one ! ( I would not wear my combat at school but you get the point ). 

I'm gonna try to speak to my step father who served 33 years in the 22ND regiment this weekend , ask him some input on what he may thought be interesting to say , I'll also try to get  a hold of my brother in-law who went twice in Afghanistan and is currently in the army also.  Maybe they will also help me out on 2-3 different topics !

thanks for all the ideas !

krimynal said:
I like the idea of the shirt , wearing something representing the forces other than my Combat uniform is a good one ! ( I would not wear my combat at school but you get the point ). 

I'm gonna try to speak to my step father who served 33 years in the 22ND regiment this weekend , ask him some input on what he may thought be interesting to say , I'll also try to get  a hold of my brother in-law who went twice in Afghanistan and is currently in the army also.  Maybe they will also help me out on 2-3 different topics !

thanks for all the ideas !

Bring them with you. Dare the audience to diss them.  :nod:

Here is a tip, from one of my own experiences of speaking with students.
When I was still in uniform, I was asked to go and talk with a "Social Justice" elective in the Faculty of Education at Queen's U.

(I can hear Thucydides and ERC snickering already.....) >:D

Anyway, after sitting on the floor, and having cookies and doing something called "checking in with ourselves...", we got talking. It was actually going very well and I was on a myth-busting roll. I was rambling on about "some things worth dying for" when one of the students asked me a question to the effect of "was I saying that there are things worth killing for?"

I wasn't really prepared for this question (an obvious one that I should have been able to deal with easily) and I'm sure I fumbled about. I have to admit, it is a question that can make for excellent debate (with or without beers. Or cookies.)

Anyway, my point is not to go in with a phony, fully-scripted act: they will smell that a mile away. Be yourself but be aware that there is probably someone out there waiting to trip you up, because what you stand for is so opposed to what they believe in.

Good luck: let us know how it went!

Very good.

And, the group at Queen's aside, pretty much like the Nov 11 experience I've always had with school kids of all ages. Sometimes I think we are too quick to condemn.

Hey quick questions , do you guys know where I could find the list of the names of the soldier that gave their life in Afghanistan since we first started the conlift ????

I don't want to go out and yell their names , just want to put them on a powerpoint page

I felt like starting my oral by asking people in the class : Who here would be ready to leave everything you have , everyone you love , every confort you earned and go fight in a country you don't know nothing of , where you don't even speak the same language , and where you don't know anyone ??? ( just to show in the classroom how only a few people are actually gonna raise their hands ) .... then I would show a picture of a Ramp Ceremony , and just quickly show the page with all the names saying : these guys would of raised their hands too, they went out there in the hope of doing the right thing , whatever the right thing may be .... they payed a lot .... they gave out all they have .... these guys will never come back to this country were the one they love awaits for them , where they can speak the language and where they can sit on a couch and watch TV.  These guys died overseas , in an unknown and still mysterious country .... they died .... because they wanted to change it.

you get a bit where I am going , I'm thinking of using a stat that Cpt Ray Wiss said in his book "fob doc" ( I'm actually gonna bring the book in class ) about how in 2007 the talibans closed 350 schools and killed 155 people who were in them , I found that stat to be pretty moving especially since I'm doing this for school !

krimynal said:
Hey quick questions , do you guys know where I could find the list of the names of the soldier that gave their life in Afghanistan since we first started the conlift ????

I don't want to go out and yell their names , just want to put them on a powerpoint page

I felt like starting my oral by asking people in the class : Who here would be ready to leave everything you have , everyone you love , every confort you earned and go fight in a country you don't know nothing of , where you don't even speak the same language , and where you don't know anyone ??? ( just to show in the classroom how only a few people are actually gonna raise their hands ) .... then I would show a picture of a Ramp Ceremony , and just quickly show the page with all the names saying : these guys would of raised their hands too, they went out there in the hope of doing the right thing , whatever the right thing may be .... they payed a lot .... they gave out all they have .... these guys will never come back to this country were the one they love awaits for them , where they can speak the language and where they can sit on a couch and watch TV.  These guys died overseas , in an unknown and still mysterious country .... they died .... because they wanted to change it.

you get a bit where I am going , I'm thinking of using a stat that Cpt Ray Wiss said in his book "fob doc" ( I'm actually gonna bring the book in class ) about how in 2007 the talibans closed 350 schools and killed 155 people who were in them , I found that stat to be pretty moving especially since I'm doing this for school !

http://bit.ly/1gQkIMD

my bad , I saw that list , but didn't realize at the end how there were more then 1 in the same event :( !

so I counted fast and it didn't make sense ! thanks !

158 casualties. Including Reporter Michelle Lang.

The way you want to start off the presentation would garner responses: "Why would we want to meddle with the lives of another society. Imperialism is dead. Leave them alone."

PrairieThunder said:
... "Why would we want to meddle with the lives of another society. Imperialism is dead. Leave them alone."

Maybe this, a German extermination camp ...

4-IPNLd-1-2-24-7.jpg

... or this, from the Rape of Nanking ...

20080218-heads%20raope%20of%20najing%20history%20wiz.jpg

... or even this, from the 21st century ...

DSC01732%2Bcopy-753341.jpg

.... will remind people of why we "meddle" in far away places.

Close with the sheepdog analogy.  http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

Truncated version

"Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident."

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin's egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers, and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful.? For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, "Baa."

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

daftandbarmy said:
Aw crap..

Totally NOT what I expected when I saw the title of this thread...  :crybaby:

I think you meant to go here http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109157/post-1269745.html#new  8)

BTW I want one of those shirts too.

Danjanou said:
BTW I want one of those shirts too.

I bought one a number of years ago and when we asked Clive at a militaria show about another, he replied that he had made 300 and had no plans to get anymore. My wife began to press him and after a few months, he gave us the address of the maker in the US who had produced them. We got 25 done up with an end date of 2011, vice 2009. As he has brought the shirts back on the market, we will allow him the exclusive right to market them. Besides, all our 25 are gone.

It is quite an impressive shirt, and I have got positive comments on both sides of the border.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoctFxn0PxI&feature=youtu.be

if you guys want to see it , nothing fancy , was recorded by a cellphone so sorry for the quality , and the teacher decided to put it down to a 3min30 presentation ..... ( i had planned a 5 minute one ) so I decided to do my 5 min one and not care about the time !!

P.S. Movember was going on haha !

Back