• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Osama in Afghanistan

asdf;lkj

Inactive
Reaction score
I just watched 60 minutes where they interviewed a guy who was Osama Bin Laden's chief bodyguard just before 9-11. He said he believes that Osama is currently hiding in Afghanistan - and he sounded very sincere and truthful about this. With everything that has gone on recently in Afghanistan, I wonder if that means we're getting close to catching Osama in Afghanistan. It may be a good explanation for the sudden increase in fighting.

Or maybe it is the same as every year in Afghanistan. Fighting increases with the melting of snow in the mountain passes.Spring allows more freedom of movement for the Taliban and Al Quieda forces.
It probably just seems like an increase in violence now that the Canadian media is focusing more on a region that has remained hostile since the initial invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.

asdf;lkj said:
I just watched 60 minutes where they interviewed a guy who was Osama Bin Laden's chief bodyguard just before 9-11. He said he believes that Osama is currently hiding in Afghanistan - and he sounded very sincere and truthful about this. With everything that has gone on recently in Afghanistan, I wonder if that means we're getting close to catching Osama in Afghanistan. It may be a good explanation for the sudden increase in fighting.

Well, I am glad that someone working for T1 "sounded" "sincere and truthful" on TV. I hope it came out that way under the art of persuasion as well. 

AQ will be a problem long after the current leadership is dead.

Although there is definitely a ton of hiding places in the mountains and villages in Afghanistan I still find it difficult that you can continue to hide a 6'7" individual who needs kidney dialysis on a regular basis......

Osama is in Afghanistan only in US dreams; try over the border - ever hear of Waziristan? Pakistan! Pakistan! Pakistan! The only the US hasnt invaded yet is that Pakistan has nukes.  :skull:

Centurian1985 said:
Osama is in Afghanistan only in US dreams; try over the border - ever hear of Waziristan? Pakistan! Pakistan! Pakistan! The only the US hasnt invaded yet is that Pakistan has nukes.  :skull:

Hmmm....that was a joke, right?  ( I'm a bit slow on these things sometimes.)

Cheers

I don't think that the US is giving much of a priority to catching Bin Laden.  It is more effective having him on the run and looking over his shoulder, instead of letting him have breathing room to plot the next terrorist attacks.  If they happen to catch him during an operation then bonus. :cheers:

PBI, why do you think I'm joking? It's been my theory since he first disappeared. 

Binladen may well still be in Afghanistan. I mean, what better place to hide in all the world? Those mountains are soo tricky. Alexander the great died trying to take them. They are virtually impenetrable.
But he can't stay in there forever.
If he isn't there, then he was probably gone before a soldier stepped foot in Afghanistan.

Centurian1985 said:
PBI, why do you think I'm joking? It's been my theory since he first disappeared. 

I'm referring to the reason you suggest the US does not invade Pakistan, not where OBL is hiding. IMHO such an invasion would cause way, way more problems for the US than it would solve, and would require so much effort to mount and complete that OBL would probably be miles away by the time they reached Islamabad.

Cheers

And yet what can we hope for when he is caught? Years of dragged out court scenes and inevitably he would most likely die in a jail cell that would spark a wave of conspiracy theorists. Milosevic, hussein?

Hopefully the Milosevic farce and continuing Hussein farce will result in a "shoot them in their hole" policy when it comes to capturing future "ace of spades" personalities.

asdf;lkj said:
With everything that has gone on recently in Afghanistan, I wonder if that means we're getting close to catching Osama in Afghanistan.

I think OBL was cancelled out a long time ago. 

Cliff said:
I think OBL was cancelled out a long time ago. 
He had some forsight to leave a lot of doctored tapes to send to the media and keep his existence, or lack of, from being doubted.

The US is probably already in Pakistan, albeit, likely with ISI handlers.  Mussarraf won a lot of good will
in the opening stages of OEF-Afghanistan by acquiescing to all of the US State department's requests. 
Invading a cooperative country makes little sense.

Osama is likely in the Pak-Afghan border region, whether he is on one side or the other of an imaginary line
makes little difference especially when there is no one patrolling the border...

Peacenik said:
The US is probably already in Pakistan, albeit, likely with ISI handlers.  Mussarraf won a lot of good will
in the opening stages of OEF-Afghanistan by acquiescing to all of the US State department's requests. 
Invading a cooperative country makes little sense.

Osama is likely in the Pak-Afghan border region, whether he is on one side or the other of an imaginary line
makes little difference especially when there is no one patrolling the border...

When I was in Afgh in 2004/05 there was definitely a working relationship between US forces and the Pakistani forces: there were two Pak LOs in the CJF76 HQ. There were probably US LOs on the other side. The Paks often described  CI ops of division size or bigger, (which interestingly seemed to always kill or capture "foreign fighters" rather than indigenous Paks.) However, the Paks seemed to be very concerned that neither Coalition nor Afgh forces actually entered Pak territory to conduct ops. Cooperation on the ground did not always appear to work very well, and I picked up a distinct impression from the Paks that they were quite cynical about the possibility of Afgh as a successful country, and actually enjoyed it  when their forward troops gave AMF positions a retaliatory pounding on a few occasions, in response to cross-border incidents.

Based on what (little) I have read, ISI may not be a very trustworthy organization, as IMHO it has somewhat split loyalties between Musharraf and the west on the one hand, and a pretty fundamentalist strain of Islam on the other. It may be a miracle that Musharraf has lasted this long.

Cheers

Who cares where he is............it's not like it will change the world when and if he ever gets captured. The Global War on Terrorism will still continue.

Back