• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa Airport

riggermade

Inactive
Reaction score
I went last night to pick my mother in law up.  Now I haven't been to the airprt in a couple of years and always thought it was a bit of an embarassment then but I have to say it has gotten worse with the opening of the new terminal.  There is even less there than there was a few years ago, they spent lots on the waterfall but they might want to spend some money on blinds, you sit in the ONE bar and on a sunny day like yesterday you could be blinded and baked by the sunlight beating in on you.

I think for the Nation's Capital the airport should make more of a statement.

What does anybody else think.

I think you are right Rigger. I think that as the Airport to the nations capital it should make a statement and it falls way way short of that. I think it serves it purpose bu it does not in anyway say "CANADA" or "NATIONS CAPITAL"

It may only have 1 bar, but it does have 2 Tim Horton's. Not that you can bring a cup onto the plane....

But yes, a few more blinds would be a good thing.

By the way.....having just returned from Germany via Toronto Pearson International or whatever that discrace of a new terminal is and I must say Ottawa is a breath of fresh air compared to arriving in TO off an international flight and having baggage carousals imported from the old Terminal 1 of the 1940's.   Two international flights on each carousal and not enough room for all the luggage, so they get jammed.  Delays that make the delays at Customs even longer and then more delays making new connections due to missing your connecting flight as well as having to reenter Security to catch a new flight.  Totally RETARDED.  Whoever designed the Terminal in Toronto had no idea of what is involved in air travel.  Ottawa was a total relief after TO.

George Wallace said:
By the way.....having just returned from Germany via Toronto Pearson International or whatever that discrace of a new terminal is and I must say Ottawa is a breath of fresh air compared to arriving in TO off an international flight and having baggage carousals imported from the old Terminal 1 of the 1940's.   Two international flights on each carousal and not enough room for all the luggage, so they get jammed.  Delays that make the delays at Customs even longer and then more delays making new connections due to missing your connecting flight as well as having to reenter Security to catch a new flight.  Totally RETARDED.  Whoever designed the Terminal in Toronto had no idea of what is involved in air travel.  Ottawa was a total relief after TO.

I have to admit she was quick thru customs but then there wasn't alot of people...she went thru Newark from Dublin and Newark would not take Canadian or Euro...had to make a pitstop at darcy Mcgee's on the way home

George, TO is still only half finished.  The transient/itinerant terminal in mid-field will disappear and the the final expansion should see new gear all around.

As for MacDonald-Cartier International Airport....it probably quite nicely represents the great Canadian compromise...meekness and not wanting to be too loud or ostentatious (...as well as the fact that unlike other nations' capitals, CYOW really doesn't have enough air travel to warrant anything grander)

G2G

Ottawa is also in an expansion phase.  The construction of the new Terminal and disappearance of many reputable carriers probably brought about the down turn in International Service.

It once had a lot more international flights than those it has now, mostly restricted to North America and the Caribean.

I remember flying out to Europe, but since the National Airline undercut (being subsidized) Canadian Pacific many flights and services no longer exist.

Back