• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa refugee opens new restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

bridges

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I know this may draw fire from those who hate refugees or the CBC or restaurants, but I just thought this was kind of a neat success story - & also for anyone who happens to know this old KFC in the west end of Ottawa.

From CBC.ca (author not listed), link reproduced here under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/05/15/ottawa-refugee-restaurant-samsu-mia-bangladesh.html

Not to take away from the joy of this story, but I've often thought of opening a restaurant. It would fit in the demographic of "I miss the army!" or "I wonder how a soldier really eats."

My place would serve IMP's, you come in, get your meal of choice, hand over the main for heating and take a seat. One of my exceptionaly trained staff then delivers the heated meal.

"Excuse me, I picked macaroni and cheese with peas, yet you gave me a ham omelett."
      "You have a choice, eat it or warm yourself with it."
      "What about the Mac and cheese with peas?"
      "OK, you are now trying my patience, I've provided a reasonable explanaition."
      "Is this how the army really eats?"
      "Obviously you're a civi, heres a pack of chiclets, don't open unless you think you can win.
      "?"
      "Enjoy your meal sir.""

bridges said:
I know this may draw fire from those who hate refugees or the CBC or restaurants, but I just thought this was kind of a neat success story - & also for anyone who happens to know this old KFC in the west end of Ottawa.

From CBC.ca (author not listed), link reproduced here under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/05/15/ottawa-refugee-restaurant-samsu-mia-bangladesh.html

You almost make it sound as if you ate insinuating members
Of this forum are somehow inclined to hate refugees.

ObedientiaZelum said:

Hey - I didn't eat (...oh never mind... no good can come of this)

ObedientiaZelum said:

LOL, please don't eat the insinuating.

I simply commented due to having licked my fingers after what the old place made so many moons ago from my uplands hovel.

bridges said:
I know this may draw fire from those who hate refugees or the CBC or restaurants

I think you are mistaken.

Good on him and his family for not letting go of the dream.

bridges said:
I know this may draw fire from those who hate refugees or the CBC or restaurants ....
I can only speak for myself, but I'd think most people are happy to see any immigrant doing well.

So how did CBC get in the middle of refugees and restaurants?

ObedientiaZelum said:

No idea what this is supposed to say or mean.

"Is there a translater in the house??"

recceguy said:
No idea what this is supposed to say or mean.

"Is there a translater in the house??"

Allow me to clarify;

I found it weird that he opened with commenting about people hating refugees almost like he expected it to be the general consensus.

Good to see them doing well. Pretty sure that's a burger joint if I remember correctly from the last time I drove past..

CDN Aviator said:
The OP attempted to be morally superior.

No - it's fairly simple:  the CBC got in because the link was to an article on CBC (heavily vilified over on the CBC political bias thread), and as for refugees & immigrants & sanctuary, I have seen a number of posts on Army.ca to the effect of refugees shouldn't queue-jump, we should take care of our own first, immigration is harming our country, etc. etc. 

My only wish was for anyone who might have an axe to grind about those issues to give it a rest for this particular post, as to my eye it was just a neat success story. 

bridges said:
No - it's fairly simple:  the CBC got in because the link was to an article on CBC (heavily vilified over on the CBC political bias thread), and as for refugees & immigrants & sanctuary, I have seen a number of posts on Army.ca to the effect of refugees shouldn't queue-jump, we should take care of our own first, immigration is harming our country, etc. etc. 

My only wish was for anyone who might have an axe to grind about those issues to give it a rest for this particular post, as to my eye it was just a neat success story. 

As a long-time member of army.ca I'm going to have to say that you don't read very well.

Good on Chef Mia.  I hope he can make a go of it. 

bridges said:
Are you suggesting participants here can't separate their feelings about the system, and their feelings about an individual who's been through the system doing well?  I guess if we think the immigration system needs work, we must think immigrants must all be bad, right?  If the CBC does some things wrong, we'll all dismiss even the good news it chooses to share?  Way to paint with a broad brush ....
prej·u·dice /ˈprejədəs/  Preconceived opinion not based on reason or experience.

I'd be happy to be wrong about all that.  Anyway, good on him.  Quite a path he had to take, to get where he is now.

nik214 said:
Good to see them doing well. Pretty sure that's a burger joint if I remember correctly from the last time I drove past..

I thought it was always a KFC, one of the few old-style KFC bldgs left, but I might have missed another occupant between then & now.  I wonder if they'll change the decor or if it still looks Sanders-esque, like the old Rockin' Johnny's diner at Bank & Hunt Club that now sells shawarmas (quite good ones too).

ObedientiaZelum said:
Allow me to clarify;

I found it weird that he opened with commenting about people hating refugees almost like he expected it to be the general consensus.

Try English next time.

Star Wars is passe. No one talks like Yoda anymore.

bridges said:
I have seen a number of posts on Army.ca to the effect of refugees shouldn't queue-jump, we should take care of our own first, immigration is harming our country, etc. etc. 

Really. I must not have been paying attention.

Link a half dozen of those for us please.

Should be easy if they're so prevalent.

We're waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back