• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa sinkhole forms

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
You know that title just begs to be made a mockery of...and the comedians will be saying; "So you just noticed about Ottawa, what the rest of the country has known for years..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-sinkhole-forms-at-intersection-near-tunnelling-site-1.2546074

"We can only confirm that it was directly above where tunnel excavation was occurring, and at this point we cannot confirm its root cause"...said deputy city manager Nancy Schepers. 

Coupled with an overnight thaw and significant rainfall, I suspect that the tunnel excavation is likely contributory.  As a reference to the size of the sinkhole, it is deep enough to swallow a standard-sized shipping container "on end".

ArmyDoc said:
"We can only confirm that it was directly above where tunnel excavation was occurring, and at this point we cannot confirm its root cause"...said deputy city manager Nancy Schepers. 

Coupled with an overnight thaw and significant rainfall, I suspect that the tunnel excavation is likely contributory.  As a reference to the size of the sinkhole, it is deep enough to swallow a standard-sized shipping container "on end".

That's what I initially thought too, but while I think it's a pretty good bet that the tunnel had a lot to do with it, I'm not so sure the rainfall did.  According to the city the drilling crew noticed a problem at 10PM, hours before the first rain, and evacuated their equipment and personnel back down the tunnel.

The fact it happened near Ottawa U jogged my memory that in 2012 the media was reporting changes to the original LRT tunnel plan in that area because of some new testing that revealed possible flaws in the original analysis/plans.  I'm surprised I haven't heard anything in the media about that yet.  Here's a link to what they were talking about last year http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/city-should-rethink-light-rail-tunnel-project-jeanes-1.588279

Had a non-caffeinated, ADHD/dyslexic moment and thought it said "stinkhole"...figured they were referring to Parliament Hill or NDHQ...back to my coffee.

Back