• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

Ahh, Red Rocks -> 3 Sisters still be a good go. 

Enjoy the hike and all the souffles!  ;D

Funny you mention Basecamp. I have having a WHORE of a time getting maps for this weekend loaded. I even tried going back to the PC and I am getting nothing but problems. It either says I don't have the memory (BS) or that it doesn't recognize the device.

No electronics for this trip

The Dragonfly is AWESOME. The fuel consumption is somewhat lower than what I was expecting, even after reading up on the tables. The noise isn't too bad so long as you don't set it up on a table then expect to sit around and gab. Overall, I am happy with the purchase.

The trip was great. We hunkered down at New Yarmouth the first night. Big sites and all amenities, including firewood and then set off for Red Rocks, by car, in the morning. After the brief we did the Red Rocks to Refugee Cove route. I call it "Motherfucker". Two very steep ups and downs with several moderate ones in between. It's scenic pretty much the whole way and the waterside bit of Refugee Cove is pretty awesome with a nice tidal pool that if you catch full of water makes for a great dip at the end of the day. We had a minor issue that night when two ladies arrived having gotten lost on the trail. No water, no food, no shelter. They were out for a day hike and just kept following the red tabs! Between a few sites we managed to get them a tent when another hiker bunked into one of our group's spare spaces (and kindled a romance, perhaps) and we fed and watered them. I decided we might get some good karma going with that.

Day two saw us wanting to get 18km done from Refugee to Seal Cove but I pulled up lame at Big Bald Rock Brook with a groin issue. I managed to hobble into Keyhole Brook but was going no further. So while the rest of the group carried on, the wife and I spent a nice night at Keyhole listening to coyotes howl. Keyhole is not at all special. It's up on the hill and to get water is a pain in the arse. Nice sites but not overly popular among the usuals around the trail. The trail from Refugee to Keyhole is slightly easier than Red Rocks to Refugee but it's still no walk in the park

Day three had the wife and I hatching a plan to get from Keyhole to Eatonville and hitch a ride back to Advocate to meet the group. I just had to muscle through 12 more km which were supposed to be easy compared to what we had previously done. I can state that the first 6 were exactly like the previous 24 with some major ups and downs but that the last 6 saw everything level out somewhat. I managed to haul myself and my pack into Eatonville at around 2 and the wife found some folks who were willing to demonstrate that karma was on our side as we got a lift back to Advocate.

We got back to the cars about half an hour before the remainder of the group got off what was termed as the easiest leg, the Eatonville to Red Rocks cross country bit. Not so, says they. Apparently it had its own challenges and while it didn't see the elevation change that the other legs did it was a bastard after the two previous days.

It's agreed that we will do the trail again, but at a minimum of three nights out, four days hiking. The scenery is out of this world!

I am on the mend.

Scott said:
After the brief we did the Red Rocks to Refugee Cove route. I call it "Motherfucker". Two very steep ups and downs with several moderate ones in between. It's scenic pretty much the whole way and the waterside bit of Refugee Cove is pretty awesome with a nice tidal pool that if you catch full of water makes for a great dip at the end of the day.

Hmmmmm...might strike that off the list of 'solo overnighters' during my upcoming leave then.  Or buy a PLB.

We had a minor issue that night when two ladies arrived having gotten lost on the trail. No water, no food, no shelter. They were out for a day hike and just kept following the red tabs!  Between a few sites we managed to get them a tent when another hiker bunked into one of our group's spare spaces (and kindled a romance, perhaps) and we fed and watered them. I decided we might get some good karma going with that.

It always amazes me how people will go out to play, but not think to bring their mittens and lunch money along.  They're lucky they ran into you folks, and a lesson learned on their part I hope.  Did they just plain ol not have water or run out? 

Reminds me of a day at Cape Split a few years back, watching the fairly overweight guy walking 5ish feet away from the edge of the cliff, with highcut basketball sneakers on, that of course weren't tied up with the laces trailing behind him... :facepalm:. 

Day two saw us wanting to get 18km done from Refugee to Seal Cove but I pulled up lame at Big Bald Rock Brook with a groin issue. I managed to hobble into Keyhole Brook but was going no further. So while the rest of the group carried on, the wife and I spent a nice night at Keyhole listening to coyotes howl. Keyhole is not at all special. It's up on the hill and to get water is a pain in the arse. Nice sites but not overly popular among the usuals around the trail. The trail from Refugee to Keyhole is slightly easier than Red Rocks to Refugee but it's still no walk in the park

Day three had the wife and I hatching a plan to get from Keyhole to Eatonville and hitch a ride back to Advocate to meet the group. I just had to muscle through 12 more km which were supposed to be easy compared to what we had previously done. I can state that the first 6 were exactly like the previous 24 with some major ups and downs but that the last 6 saw everything level out somewhat. I managed to haul myself and my pack into Eatonville at around 2 and the wife found some folks who were willing to demonstrate that karma was on our side as we got a lift back to Advocate.

We got back to the cars about half an hour before the remainder of the group got off what was termed as the easiest leg, the Eatonville to Red Rocks cross country bit. Not so, says they. Apparently it had its own challenges and while it didn't see the elevation change that the other legs did it was a bastard after the two previous days.

It's agreed that we will do the trail again, but at a minimum of three nights out, four days hiking. The scenery is out of this world!

I am on the mend.

Thats an awesomely honest description and tells me lots I never really got the sense of from other write-ups I've seen on the web.

Just curious, how many lb's would you say you were packin' approx in that Bora?

Well, the pair of Keen Oregon PCTs I bought in the spring died an early death on me.  The left boot was the worst, whatever they used to secure the sole onto the leather upper just let go.  Also, any arch and ankle support they had at purchase was pretty much gone as well.  Considering they really hadn't seen much (or hard) use, I was surprised how quickly they broke down.  The folks at MEC were also surprised to see how much they were "wore out" and the sole issue was not something they'd seen before.  I considered just getting a replacement pair, but concerned the model was actually in need of improvement so I tried on a few different ones. 

The folks at MEC were awesome as usual, and after a minute or so of talking about what I like/am used to/had before/etc for boots, I tried on a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX.  I'd looked at them before but thought they looked too narrow for me and moved on.  That, apparantly, was a mistake.

- excellent arch/ankle support & overall *stiffness*.  They are like the best of a true backpacking boot combo'd with the comfort of trail runners.  Same weight per pair as the Keens were, but they almost feel like my old Baffin's.

- I really like the ankle eyelet, its a locking cleat type, so you can go slack on the lacing above it.  Super-comfy so far.

I normally wear a 10-10.5 boot, but had to go to an 11 in these.

Just got them earlier this week so I haven't done anything but wear them around inside yet, but am going to give 'em a go this weekend, heading to Terence Bay Wilderness Area to check out the coastline and a little bit of (what looks like on Google Earth) some barrens on the lower SW corner. 

Hopefully Keen beefs up the next gen Oregons, they were super boots out of the box. 

Here is the boot review on Outdoor Gear Lab that got me interested in the Quests.  Take a quick look at the How We Test tab, they didn't wear them to Walmart and then write the reviews.

Eye In The Sky said:
Hmmmmm...might strike that off the list of 'solo overnighters' during my upcoming leave then.  Or buy a PLB.

There are loads of folks who go ultralight and do it with one stop, I think I met every single one! I think it's doable with lighter footwear given that you'd carry less weight. Stove, fuel, Nalgene, water filter or drops, 4 meals, rain fly/hammock, trekking poles, fart sack - what's that, 15 pounds? It would take some serious discipline and planning for a first timer but I think it's entirely doable.

It always amazes me how people will go out to play, but not think to bring their mittens and lunch money along.  They're lucky they ran into you folks, and a lesson learned on their part I hope.  Did they just plain ol not have water or run out? 

No water. None. Funny thing, I was in the Trail Shop in Wolfville Saturday morning and got talking to Etienne (the little bearded beer drinker almost everyone runs into on the trail) and when I started to tell him about these women he cut me off and said that the tale has already made wide rounds on the email list for outdoorsy types in Halifax. I reassured him that they knew full well they'd been really stupid and so I thought positive reinforcement was the way ahead. Plus, seeing the kit we packed for our trip opened their eyes, in a good way, to just what one needs.

Reminds me of a day at Cape Split a few years back, watching the fairly overweight guy walking 5ish feet away from the edge of the cliff, with highcut basketball sneakers on, that of course weren't tied up with the laces trailing behind him... :facepalm:. 

And now Meat Cove is in the news with a couple of people bouncing off the rocks. Jim Meek had it right, folks won't be happy until there is a fence and then they'll bitch because it ruined the view.

Speaking of that area, Etienne turned me on to a new one: Money Point. All the reading I have done in the limited time I have had says it's awesome. Seriously, it is worth the gas burned to go and talk to him: he's logged over 900 km of backcountry this year and can give honest assessments of just about every single trail in NS - like telling me not to ever bother hiking the backcountry in Keji, even the wardens are forbidden!

Thats an awesomely honest description and tells me lots I never really got the sense of from other write-ups I've seen on the web.

Just curious, how many lb's would you say you were packin' approx in that Bora?

I can give more detail if you need it. Unfortunately I couldn't get the GPS working with the mapping software so I can tell you total elevation change but it was a load.

I didn't weigh the pack but I am certain I was the heaviest by a few pounds. Not too much...just not split up well. The group's plan for the next trip there is to get a sixth person, plan for four nights, and lighten on the food with a few freeze dried meals to be complimented with fresh. Anyway, I should not ever be carrying any more than that for a trip so the next one will feel easier.

To be honest, I do not think there is such a thing as conventional wisdom for this trail. I have read loads of reviews that say to do it clockwise and the same amount saying countercockwise. I learned more in talking to Etienne for an hour than I did in all of my searches online. Then again, it's always going to be an immensely personal thing...

Eye In The Sky said:
On one of our outtings this past summer, one of the guys had his handmade kayak and it was a very nice piece of kit.  He had built 3 of them, and sold the first 2, and decided to keep the last one.  IIRC, he had put $800ish into it (10 years ago) and built it over a winter.  His had no rudder on it which he said makes it alittle harder to track with a tailwind/following sea.  It was lighter than any of ours and he was pretty proud of it.  And rightfully so, I thought.

Beautiful kayak!!  Thanks for posting that pic.  (Reply # 34, on p. 2 of this thread.)

I'm looking at buying one, finally - renting & borrowing is getting old, although it does provide the opportunity to try different kinds.  So far I like the Tsunami 160 w/ rudder; I was out on the St. Lawrence a few weeks ago in choppy waters & some strong currents, and the boat did well - it seemed more confident than I did.  The price is a bit steep, but could be worth it. 

I'm looking at just short trips, a few days at most, on calm rivers/open lakes & around the shore - no whitewater above Class I.  Tougher materials like plastic are good, even though they're heavier to haul around; I don't want to have to worry about rocks, & a few bumps between car-top & beach.  If anyone has any kayak recommendations, I'd be all ears.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/expedition/sea_kayak_tsunami/tsunami_160pror_seakayak/

Scott said:
:jealous face: I love the Granite Ridge Trails.

These are from late Sept.  For late Sept, it was a HOT day on SGRT.  I went thru 3L of water before I even hit Turtle Lake.  This was after that week or so of fairly heavy rains in NS; you can see the flooding off the Musquodobit in the 3rd pic.  Ball diamond by the trailhead was a pond. 

Not sure if you've heard of The Eagles Nest before, but that is on the to-do list.  Pretty decent look at it from far away at the Admiral Lake Lookoff on SGRT.  A few reviews I've read said there is lots of obstacles a la Juan, a river crossing via 1 downed tree and lots of ankle/knee/leg injury potential.  Sounds like a good go!  8)

Hoping to get back to do NGRT sometime before the snow flies (never touched that one yet) and re-do Admiral Lake Loop.

Eye In The Sky said:
The folks at MEC were awesome as usual, and after a minute or so of talking about what I like/am used to/had before/etc for boots, I tried on a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX

- excellent arch/ankle support & overall *stiffness*.  They are like the best of a true backpacking boot combo'd with the comfort of trail runners.  Same weight per pair as the Keens were, but they almost feel like my old Baffin's.

- I really like the ankle eyelet, its a locking cleat type, so you can go slack on the lacing above it.  Super-comfy so far.

Just got them earlier this week so I haven't done anything but wear them around inside yet, but am going to give 'em a go this weekend... 

Looks like I nailed the best parts of them walking around the store and home in them.  Great ankle support and the best lacing system (it truly effin rocks) I've had in a pair of boots.  Sadly, that is all I have good to say about them.

They are not waterproof, they are however water absorbent.  ::)  I did Crystal Cresent Provincial Park in late Sept with them, and they were awesome...for about 30 mins.  They were leaking water in from somewhere/everywhere.  Anyone who has done CCPP knows its not really that bad terrain wise, but after I was done my feet were sore.  Chaulked it up to not being in good enough shape/soft feet.  Boots were soaked beyond, and heavy.  Lacing system being so good probably made the difference that kept me from taking them off and walking on my hands at the end. 

Fast forward to 2 mornings later;  getting ready to go to South Granite Ridge...boots still not dry after drying them since Monday evening.  Did the newspaper thing, etc.  During the 45ish minute drive to the TH, I had the heater maxed on "feet" in the car, with them rammed up to dry out.  The first damp spot I hit on the trail...wet again.  WTF?  I was carrying alittle bit of weight in my pack on SGR, maybe 25 lbs counting water, and half way thru the trail, the soles of my feet were cursing Salomon.  Again, great ankle support and lacing system but thats where the good points end.  After I got off the backcountry trail, I limped my way the 7.5 km to the trailhead on the Rails to Trails.  After doing the tub-test to confirm they were leaking, and letting them dry for another 2 days, I took them back to MEC and walked out with a pair of Zamberlan Vioz. 

Vioz are working out pretty good, I've put quite a few miles on them (prep'd trails, some backcountry, bushwhacking for caches, etc).  I wish Zamberlan put better insoles in them (for $300 a pair) and the Vioz is lacking a rubber toe rand/cap, so they get some battle scars on them quick, but after stomping in them for a month now, I'm 90% happy with them.  Too bad MEC Hfx doesn't stock the Tofane's; also wish MEC carried the Vioz PLus or the 636 Baffin GTs. 

Scott said:
There are loads of folks who go ultralight and do it with one stop, I think I met every single one! I think it's doable with lighter footwear given that you'd carry less weight. Stove, fuel, Nalgene, water filter or drops, 4 meals, rain fly/hammock, trekking poles, fart sack - what's that, 15 pounds? It would take some serious discipline and planning for a first timer but I think it's entirely doable.

I should have worded my post better; I meant Red Rocks ---> Refugee Cove and return as a solo overnighter.  I'd never be able to do the whole thing in 2 days.  I am far too lazy.  ;D

Scott said:
Seriously, it is worth the gas burned to go and talk to him: he's logged over 900 km of backcountry this year and can give honest assessments of just about every single trail in NS - like telling me not to ever bother hiking the backcountry in Keji, even the wardens are forbidden!

Thats a crapload of b.c. miles :eek:.  Seriously on the Keji hiking...the wardens are forbidden?  Too hard terrain?  Bears?  Alien abductions?

It wasn't a Bora  :p, but the price was too good to ignore, and once I checked it out and put it on for fit/feel, I ended up walking about and then out of MEC with an Ibex 65 (in green) for less than $140 taxes in.  Also liking their T1 Athletic boxer briefs, they do the things you want a gitch to do well while hiking/caching/etc and none of the bad stuff like chaffing and they are hella better made than ones like the Dri-Wear ones at Marks Work Warehouse. 

Managed to log quite a few miles hiking/caching in late Sept and Oct.  Great weather this fall for the most part, got South Granite in, and an awesome afternoon down Devils Bend with an hour or so at Economy Falls all to myself.  Lots of other little adventures in; caves in Dutch Settlement, Coldstream Mines, handful of other trails.  Been a good fall.

Thumbs up to Garmin for the GPS Map 62s w/Topo Canada v4, my Feretta pants/hooded jacket from MEC (not on their site anymore, hoping they release gen3 of them and aren't discontinuing the line for good) and my cheap Chinook Walkabout poles that finally died glorious deaths on the trail (one of them saving me from what would have been a bastard of a fall backwards down the base of a cliff).  Honourable Mention has to go to that annoying little bear bell that must be working.

Hope everyone enjoyed/is enjoying the fall.

Sounds like you've been busier than I. :mad:

I've managed some small-ish hikes...Fairmont Ridge and some private land but open to the public in East Tracadie. In talks about the Highlands (Cape Clear and onward to Cheticamp Lake) the next time I am home because I just picked up an 88 4Runner to replace my old truck. I don't know why I keep buying older but this thing is a gem! And it does qualify as outdoor gear, methinks.

Admiral Lake is one of my most favourite short loops in this province. Good beginning, a bit of a run up for the heart rate, and a good cool down. Also a pretty easy 4 season trail due to wind patterns but always wise to take snowshoes or cleats if you're into white stuff season.

NGRT, IIRC, is the lesser touched of the two. Be careful with nav as some of the tree tags are gone or non existent and there appears to be a lack of natural flow in some areas. Not earth shattering but also not for the head down hikers.

My new buddy was telling me that Keji's backcountry is out of bounds for wardens on foot because it is nearly impossible to discern the trail when it's wet and the overgrowth has really started to come down on things. Much the same as Moose River gorge's trail at the beginning only mostly under water!

You'll get a Bora some day....

I have my sights set on a Hubba Hubba for the spring :) windfall from my house sale...might also get a new canoe if I can convince her who has to help me portage >:D

:prancing:

Scott said:
Sounds like you've been busier than I. :mad:

I've had a good fall and its the first one in years.  I fell short of my goal to get to Carleton and do Mt Carleton/Head/Sagamook, but hey its not like it's going anywheres.

In talks about the Highlands (Cape Clear and onward to Cheticamp Lake) the next time I am home because I just picked up an 88 4Runner to replace my old truck. I don't know why I keep buying older but this thing is a gem! And it does qualify as outdoor gear, methinks.

I am Google-Earthing that.  8)  '88...did it come with Antique plates?  ;D  I am going to be on the lookout for something along that line in the spring.  A Jetta just don't have the clearance or space. 

Admiral Lake is one of my most favourite short loops in this province. Good beginning, a bit of a run up for the heart rate, and a good cool down. Also a pretty easy 4 season trail due to wind patterns but always wise to take snowshoes or cleats if you're into white stuff season.

Well if all goes well I'll be there tomorrow.  Been fighting a bug off and on for a few weeks and ended up on the couch today. 

Hey you never know, maybe there will be a gift from MSR under the ol tree in a few months for ya.

New drool-worthy item: http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/index/products/versatile/explorer_series/explorer_16_rx

My old Sportsman isn't enough to handle the longer treks I want to take. Hell, It's really only good for calm rivers and rockopotamous free lakes. I'll have to drive to Moncton to pick one of these up but meh.

I have some construction to carry out come spring: members of my family knocked down an old cabin and I want to turn the site into a tent pad after some reclamation work. It's going to be a bitch getting the crusher dust in there (there is a trail all the way but one creek crossing that will prove problematic) but I think it will be worth it.

Eye In The Sky said:
Not sure if anyone has ever seen or heard of The Kelly Kettle before, but before this morning I never had.  I'm starting to like the idea of it.

I must have mentioned this piece of kit a few times to Mrs EITS, the Trekker kit ended up under the tree for me this year. 

I have a StormTech H2X 5-in-1 jacket (not sure the exact model, it is orange and black) and pants, purchased in 2009.  They are awesome.  I wore it in Winnipeg the winter I was there on course.  Awesome. 

My biggest complaint with it would be the side pocket zippers are "up" when closed and mine doesn't have a drawstring for the torso.  I love the jacket though.  The liner zips out, can be a vest, etc.  I can stuff either in my pack and pop it on if needed.  Black ski pants come w/suspenders.  Pants are awesome as well.

Yeehaw. Busy times for my outdoor enjoyment:

-Heading back to Tuonela in a couple of weeks for a three day getaway with 9 other brave souls. www.skituonela.com for anyone in the Maritimes who might be interested. It's absolutelt AWESOME there and they often get heaps more snow than folk in the city might think. The hosts are world travelers with a wee bit of maverick hippy loaded in, lots of fun to speak with.

-The MSR Hubba Hubba will be ordered on Friday or Saturday. Thank you retro pay...might get the canoe out of it as well.

-Speaking of canoes: planning is underway for a second edition of the canoe waterways booklet. We're speaking about a Facebook page and Twitter feed this time to keep folks updated on our progress and cross promote with sponsors.

I'll report back on the conditions at Tuonela.

Back