• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P.E.I. is considering special plates for Drunk Drivers

Crantor said:
I would point out that if someone needs to breath into a machine to start their car they likely are still paying their debt to society.  It hasn't been paid.  If having plates that label them is added to whatever conditions they have to be allowed to drive again then so be it.  Not everyone who gets convicted of DUI are getting magic plates.  Just ones that want to drive again under set conditions.  This rule isn't for the repeat offender who likely isn't even supposed to be driving in the first place.  It is for the dumbass who risks driving after a party, didn't plan well and got stopped at some RIDE stop and is likely not to re-offend. 

Huh?  Do you realize how many times your contradicted yourself in that statement?  Why would you penalize/punish further someone who "IS NOT LIKELY TO RE-OFFEND"?

George Wallace said:
Huh?  Do you realize how many times your contradicted yourself in that statement?  Why would you penalize/punish further someone who "IS NOT LIKELY TO RE-OFFEND"?

George, driving is a privilige not a right.  Buddy abuses that privilige I really don't care what the province does to make them regain that privilege.  Just because someone IS NOT LIKELY TO RE-OFFEND doesen't mean he avoids the consequences of his actions.  If he hasn't been discharged of his disposition (ie probation, conditions etc) he has to regain that privilege.  A convicted DUI offender is lucky the system allows him to drive again at all.  Breath machines and plates is the price to pay to drive again.  Too bad so sad, I feel no sympathy for drunk drivers that have to jump through a few more hoops to drive again.

Edit to add: It isn't penalising or punishing further.  It's adding to what already exist and making it part of the conditions to get back on the road.

There sure are a lot of 'holier than thou' folks when the subject of drinking and driving comes up. I hope they all have a spotless record themselves, or in any other aspect related to driving vehicles or other habits that are not currently in vogue.

In many parts of the country in days of yore, drinking and driving was considered a necessary life skill. The local gendarmes would give you the knowing nod.

Yes, things are a lot better now but the pendulum is beginning to swing a little too far.

Jeez, sanctimonious prigs get under my skin.

Crantor

Reread the post I am questioning and tell me if in your statement you are punishing the person who is NOT likely to re-offend and totally ignoring the repeat offender.  Your wording seems to indicate that to me. 

The REPEAT offender is more of a concern to me, than a "one off" who is not likely to make that mistake again.

Do you now see where I am coming from?

The "we should" is kinda irrelevant when I am pretty sure "we can't"  I think this would be a charter violation, not to mention a huge Privacy Act situation.  The appeals and right to sue is a bit too dangerous, so I am sure there is a lawyer working for the PEI Gov that will say "not worth the risk"

Dumb idea. It will assist nobody in anything safety or enforcement wise. They already get beat up in court and the media, get crapped on at their insurance dealings- now they need a special license plate?

Investigatively this will WEAKEN impaired driving cases- the defence will now attempt to throw out all driving evidence saying that the police officer just pulled over the plate fishing for an impaired and then came up with his driving evidence (true or otherwise- I dont see this done but YMMV). And theyll win. I can see it already.

Dumb idea from the Daisy gang of meddler soccer moms that just have to do "SOMETHING!" (Wont someone think of the children?) that isnt grounded in reality.

IMO of course.

George Wallace said:
We did away with the Letter "A" after the Salem Witch Hunts.

You're thinking of "The Scarlet Letter" "A", used to identify an adulteress.

Convicted witches were generally recognizable by the charred appearance of their former skin and flesh, although most (nineteen) of those convicted in the Salem witch trials were hanged and one other was pressed to death.

I think it's silly.

Driving down the 401 or the QEII or city streets (just for example purposes) and seeing a letter or number on the plate designated to those with DUI(s) would not change anything about how people drive. Highways and city streets will still be filled with terrible drivers, drivers that drive drunk and get away without incident, and those that injure or kill while drunk driving.

You see the letter, what're you going to do? Pull over and wait until their away from you? Change lanes (which wouldn't do much if things were to go bad anyway, might save you a little but it's dependant on the Totality of Circumstances)?

Useless... just another useless money sink like the LGR.

I got to experience this first hand about 8 years ago in Alberta.  One year suspension, assload of fines, mandatory ADAC course out of pocket, five years of inflated insurance premiums.  Believe me, the  lesson was learned and never to be repeated, an asshole plate wouldn't have made me feel any stupider.  I could have sold crack in an elementary school playground and not been treated as much of a leper as I was.

Likely simpler to require convicted drivers on probation to have a sticker on the car they are driving that indicates they are on probation, a P or D would suffice and a stiff fine if caught without the sticker. Plates would be expensive and what if the wife is driving rather than the convicted husband?

But really- what would the end game of that be? Again- somebody being on probation isnt a big deal- as well they arent usually on probation with a requirement to have a zero BAC (unless other provinces do that and I've just never seen it). Perhaps if it was a plate for anyone in their household that they had to use while somebody in the house was a prohibited driver- that would be beneficial.

But I dont like that idea as I dont like to publically shame everyday folks- which alot of folks tapped on impaired are. Its a pretty easy mistake to make- which I can say when I was a young man I made. Just didnt get caught- scary proposition when you wake up and realize what you did. At least it was for me....and yes I had to disclose it in my background checks.

The punishment is already stiff and getting stiffer. Dragging folks into wearing a badge of shame for a long while (that doesnt suit a real purpose for public safety IMO) isnt really on. I mean when I think about violent offenders, cop murderers, and others that get out after 25 years and enjoy being anonymous this kinda seems like too much.....of course I dont speak for my organization. Just as an everyday joe.

Ohhhh.......I misunderstood the entire thread.

Based on the title, I just assumed that the drunk drivers' "special plates" would be like melmac bowls, so they didn't spill their poutine or whatever -- it's tough enough driving drunk without a lap full of hot cheese curds, and you don't want to be using the fine china in case you forget that you're eating and just drop the plate.    :nod:

:blotto:

Journeyman said:
Ohhhh.......I misunderstood the entire thread.

Based on the title, I just assumed that the drunk drivers' "special plates" would be like melmac bowls, so they didn't spill their poutine or whatever -- it's tough enough driving drunk without a lap full of hot cheese curds, and you don't want to be using the fine china in case you forget that you're eating and just drop the plate.    :nod:

:blotto:

An idea like that would gain more traction than one like this should....

How many times must someone get caught with DUI in order to qualify for the ignition interlock program?

In Ont it was once for my dad but he did plead guilty.

Depends on the province. In NS you can "qualify" the first time but it's not mandatory. Get caught a second time (and in NS it's now second in your lifetime, not within 10 years) and it is mandatory for a certain term before you can get your license back. Then, even after being done the interlock and fully licensed, you have to drive at 0 BAC for a minimum of five years before you can apply to have that restriction removed.

Buddy of mine just finished the interlock program and I had given him some drives before he was into it so I got the full lowdown from him on the program.

Personally, I think heavier investment in that program (which should be at no or little cost to taxpayers) is the way ahead. Not only does my pal have the reinforcement of fines, suspension,s high insurance and embarrassment - but he now has this tool getting him in the habit of not being able to drive even after one. And that's what it does, shows you how frigging little it takes to be over. One of my rescues of him was after the mechanic cratered his machine on the morning after...he had a rough time explaining that but got around it.

My dad had a Special class on his licence that stated if he was caught driving a car with out a interlock he was to be stoped arested and charged with something.

Yup. My buddy as the same deal. His license, which he had to pay to have updated, indicated that he was only to drive interlock equipped vehicles. When he got his license back he had to pay again to have it changed. Plus there was fucking around when he was getting the interlock removed. He was not licensed to drive an un-interlocked vehicle but had to have it removed before getting the license changed. Cue another drive from me to help get this done.

All told I think the breakdown would be:
-tow $300
-fines $1000
-interlock install $200
-interlock monitoring $125/month x 18 for him (IIRC) - plus the time to schedule this and get it done
-lawyer $1200
-the don't drink and drive course - not sure if this costs, but it's yet another day you have to book off for
-counselling sessions after each device maintenance - more time

All told it is fucking steep. My friend is a decent guy who made a pretty big mistake. He did not damage property nor did he hurt anyone. I do not have a fricking clue what the toll would have been if he had and he thanks his lucky stars that this did not come to pass - perhaps that's where the lesson is?

I think, at least in NS, that we have enough measures in place. After speaking with him I know I'd like to see more push put on the interlock program but further tarring and feathering does not seem necessary to me. And to be fair, I have spent quite a number of years responding to accidents involving impaired drivers...

Back