• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pacific coast defences

There is a Japanese Incendiary Bomb on display at the Air Force Museum in Comox.  It is a very good museum for its size!

During the summer, tours are available on occasion to Yorke Island out of Campbell River.  I plan on taking the next one I hear about.

A balloon bomb also landed near where I'm originally from in the BC interior.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=stcULbOFcbsC&pg=PA214&lpg=PA214&dq=williams+lake+BC+balloon+bombs+japanese&source=bl&ots=LSHlJu199x&sig=bWrX__GqRqjo2s1kaHZE_IZD7Po&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Bx8XT6DWEeeRiQL-jbGyDw&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=williams%20lake%20BC%20balloon%20bombs%20japanese&f=false

It was a fairly extensive program by the Japanese and considering their biological weapons program with Unit 731 could have been more than just a nuisance.

My contacts tell me there will be a another run in Sept to Yorke Island, between 2-5 days and last year they brought a gen set and started up the lights of the battery there. They hope this year to repair more of the electrical system sp they can light up all of the fort.

Doug, I don't have the links available with me at the moment, but you could also do a search for the 3rd Batallion of the Royal Regina Rifles (RRR) Regiment in 1942 on the West coast.  My grandfather was a Company Commander and told me stories about the Japanese fire balloons, subs and the like.

UPDATE: Here is a link to the book "Up the Johns - History of the Royal Regina Rifles Regiment" (you'll have to type in '101' into the dialogue box at the bottom of the page)

Regards
G2G

Back