• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

I don't think you read the question asked then and the context it was meant vice the one you're presenting....

I realize this type of thread has been posted before, but for some reason every time I try and search a specific topic, the search bar tells me that the server is overloaded and to try again soon.

I start BMQ Feb 22nd and I just want to be as prepared as I can when I arrive. I am hoping to get some different ideas from people on here of what kind of extra items, or clarification of certain items you may have been confused about on your kit list. Links to other threads about this are appreciated but if possible just a quick list of items would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
Cody

Did you try clicking on the "Basic Training" forum and see what was listed?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,36.0.html

I got my Joining Instructions, and when I was offered the job over the phone, I was told of an outline of things to bring like civilian attire and such.

But when I got home to read the JI, When it comes to the civilian clothing section (among other sections), most spots are filled with an X, rather than a quantity?

I just want to make sure I don't forget anything..

SMG said:
I got my Joining Instructions, and when I was offered the job over the phone, I was told of an outline of things to bring like civilian attire and such.

But when I got home to read the JI, When it comes to the civilian clothing section (among other sections), most spots are filled with an X, rather than a quantity?

I just want to make sure I don't forget anything..

No worries, they use roman numerals every now and then.

You might be in need of 1 (one) sense of humour though.

I've found a few threads on this from a few years ago, but no definitive answer.

The joining istructions I received state to bring 4 pairs of casual dress shirts and casual dress pants.

Is this really necessary? I'm currently a jeans-and-tshirt kind of guy, and would prefer to avoid buying a lot of clothing just for the first few days before receiving my uniform.

A related question: are we allowed to wear issued clothing off duty, such as coats or boots?

Thank you for the help!

mswirski said:
I've found a few threads on this from a few years ago, but no definitive answer.

The joining istructions I received state to bring 4 pairs of casual dress shirts and casual dress pants.

Is this really necessary? I'm currently a jeans-and-tshirt kind of guy, and would prefer to avoid buying a lot of clothing just for the first few days before receiving my uniform.

A related question: are we allowed to wear issued clothing off duty, such as coats or boots?

Thank you for the help!

They give you those instructions for a reason.  If you are not able to follow instructions, you will find life very unbearable in the CAF.

There are places and times where jeans and T-shirts are NOT permitted.

NO you can not wear issued clothing off duty.

All of this has been covered in those previous posts.

mswirski said:

Thank you for the help!

When you show up at CFLRS, jeans and a T-shirt+ runners are perfectly fine. You'll only wear them for a couple days and a few weekends anyway.

And already I have conflicting information.

Could someone who has recently been through BMQ or taught the course recently chime in?

mswirski said:
And already I have conflicting information.

Could someone who has recently been through BMQ or taught the course recently chime in?

What conflicting information?

What does your JOINING INSTRUCTION say?  With that in hand, you can not go wrong.

It's never good to be the only guy in jeans and a t-shirt when you show up while everyone else followed the instructions they were given.

You will be able to wear jeans and a t shirt most of the time you are allowed out. However, have at least 1 collared shirt and a pair of casual pants, ie khakis, dockers etc. Get used to owning that as that is typically the only "civilian attire" permitted at work.

As George said, you can't go wrong following the joining instructions to the letter. In fact, that's pretty good advice for BMQ in general.

Got a Frenchys or Value Village in your area? Twenty bucks for your shirts and pants.

If you still want to stand out, but follow instruction, I am sure you can get something gaudy enough to induce high BP in your staff.

George Wallace said:
What does your JOINING INSTRUCTION say?  With that in hand, you can not go wrong.

Dress
When you show up at CFLRS, you must wear appropriate and comfortable clothes to be able to walk long distances when conducting your arrival procedures. The following types of clothing are strongly recommended:

1. Male candidates: Shirt and/or sweater, clean pants and shoes (comfortable clothes), and clean shaved.
2. Female candidates: Blouse and pants, shoes (comfortable clothes) "Platform and high heels" shoes are not allowed

Seems pretty straight forward to me or is it?  The JI's make no mention of what is or what isn't considered "appropriate", so that's pretty much left to the imagination.  But I'd have to say that jeans would be acceptable but NOT jeans with rips, tears, etc, etc.......

If you're a jeans and tshirt kinda guy, make a small step to get some cargo pants. They're more comfortable than jeans, look less unkempt and you can wear them after training is done, unlike 'dressier pants', which would probably collect dust in your closet.
Looks for specials at old navy or something.

Back