• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

We only needed 3 pairs out on display. They didn't need to be the same colour. But Canex sold 3 packs of white briefs that were perfect for inspection

You have to buy your own locker layout kit?  WTF?

Kat Stevens said:
You have to buy your own locker layout kit?  WTF?

I agree. Seems strange last time I ran a course (granted it was a PLQ) the candidates only had military issue clothing for the inspection, with the exception of running shoes.

Must be budget cuts. It was bullets or boxers.

…Of course we picked the boxers, they were just on back order…so new recruits have to buy their own for now ;)

*cough* ... according to thee eh.. Joining Instructions, I have to bring 6 undergarments of the same colour. It also says they're provided at the Canex but I've heard it's cheaper to just go out and buy some....

Edit: But clearly not since I only found packs of 4 and had to buy 2.. there were packs of 6/8 but I figured it' be less suspicious looking due to the ransacking whilst boxer exchanging.

I had to provide my own gitch in Cornwallis in '88...never got issued stuff until I got to my first operational unit when I drew my combat gear.  I think we did get issued some long johns, but no boxers that I recall.

MM

We only had to have 4 for inspection and they didnt have to be the same colour. They just had to be foldable into a 4x4 square. We had one guy put out 4 different pairs of ninja turtle boxers. I think he got bonus points! ;D

Lol really?? That's awesome, love it. So my 2hr boxer brief ransacking spree may have been for naught.

Treemoss said:
But clearly not since I only found packs of 4 and had to buy 2.. there were packs of 6/8 but I figured it' be less suspicious looking due to the ransacking whilst boxer exchanging.

I went through this, and got to know 3 nice gentlemen while we all swapped the odd colours out! Nothing looks to weird or suspicious if you're in Walmart.

Treemoss said:
Lol really?? That's awesome, love it. So my 2hr boxer brief ransacking spree may have been for naught.

I wouldn't be so sure the navy BMNQ is different than your BMQ. BMNQ we were in MOB tents the entire time, so I think they took pity on us!

I went through last January and they issued your underwear and kit before they did an inspection. You are entitled every year to I think 5 shirts and 5 pairs of underwear.

I just did my enrollment ceremony. They laughed at my underwear story :(.

Are you allowed to bring outside food with you at BMQ? for example just some protein or granola bars incase you're hungry at night?

From the BMQ Joining Instructions:

Prohibited articles
Here is a list of prohibited articles:

Fire arms or edged weapons (switch-blade knives, knives with blades longer than 6 inches)
Food stuff (fruits, chips, candy, etc.) and drinks, including supplements
Alcoholic beverages
Illegal substances (including caffeine concentrate "wake up")
Materials with sexual connotation (magazines, photos, DVDs, accessories, etc.)

RedcapCrusader said:
From the BMQ Joining Instructions:

Which the OP must have received by now.

BMQ Start: Feb 28, 2015
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/13064/post-1354240.html#msg1354240
Reply #4926

There is a break room you have access to at night with vending machines. Just make sure you have change. No food up on the floors though.

I'm just looking over what to bring to my BMQ and notice that most of the items on the list are available at the Canex.
I messaged my friend who's doing his BMQ in St. Jean right now, and he says just bring most of the stuff from home as the Canex is overpriced.

I'm not overly concerned about the money issue of it, but I'm more concerned about missing something that's required for me to bring.
My plan is to bring the following items -

6 pairs of Cotton Underwear (Same colour)
1 pair of running shoes
2 T-shirts (for sport)
1 Sport shorts
1 Dress shirt
1 Dress pant
1 Pair of Dress shoes
And a few (3-4 days) of clothing and hygienic items.

Does this seem like an appropriate list of things to bring from home, or should I focus more on bringing more things from the list which I could ust buy from the Canex when I arrive?

Alderson said:
I'm just looking over what to bring to my BMQ and notice that most of the items on the list are available at the Canex.
I messaged my friend who's doing his BMQ in St. Jean right now, and he says just bring most of the stuff from home as the Canex is overpriced.

I'm not overly concerned about the money issue of it, but I'm more concerned about missing something that's required for me to bring.
My plan is to bring the following items -

6 pairs of Cotton Underwear (Same colour)
1 pair of running shoes
2 T-shirts (for sport)
1 Sport shorts
1 Dress shirt
1 Dress pant
1 Pair of Dress shoes
And a few (3-4 days) of clothing and hygienic items.

Does this seem like an appropriate list of things to bring from home, or should I focus more on bringing more things from the list which I could ust buy from the Canex when I arrive?

I'm in week 5 currently. Don't waste your money buying the same colored underwear like I did, you'll be issued underwear within the first week. I hvent used the sport shirt I bought and brought yet, or the sport shorts I bought and brought because they're civilian items and in civilian lock up. However you can use your own sport socks with your own running shoes for PT but you have to wear issued PT gear. Bring toothpaste, mouth wash (750ml/1L), shaving cream, deodorant, a tooth brush, razor and cartridges, and a couple of bars of soap. All of those hygienic items are just mentioned are used for inspection and honestly you don't need more than that unless you want to keep a ghost kit in your kit bag if you're on a hell platoon. Your iron and everything else can be bought at canex.

mariomike said:
You may find this discussion of interest.

Items to bring to BMQ?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/108784.0

Oh sorry, I didn't see that post.

Back