• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

As I said before, I'm going to buy/bring some items with me and buy the rest at the canex.

I'm just wondering about the PT shoes.
I had a very nice pair of runners but they got destroyed at a job I had.

So, I'm going to go buy some more tomorrow, just curious about 2 things though.
1. Can my shoes be any color? Seeing as how most high-end name brand shoe companies like to make their running shoes with bright colors, this concerns me slightly.
2. Do you get issued runners with your kit? I plan on spending a couple hundred dollars on the shoes if I'm to be using them for my entire BMQ, but if I only have to use them until I get my kit issued to me, then I'll just buy a cheap brand.

Buy your own shoes.  The ones you are issued should never be worn for anything.

stealthylizard said:
Buy your own shoes.  The ones you are issued should never be worn for anything.

Is there a reason why they keep issuing them, if they're that bad? That's probably a lot of money that could be spent on other, more practical, items (unless they already have a crapload sitting in a warehouse and have been slowly issuing them just to get them out of storage).

Jonsey said:
Is there a reason why they keep issuing them, if they're that bad? That's probably a lot of money that could be spent on other, more practical, items (unless they already have a crapload sitting in a warehouse and have been slowly issuing them just to get them out of storage).

Well just like anything else the CF issues, the contract was awarded to the lowest bidder and the quality of the product is poor. They don't last very long and offer little support, causing more harm than good. Rather than listen to their soldiers GoC continues to provide equipment with questionable craftsmanship.

Got a couple questions here as I buy/pack my things...

Is everything on the list mandatory for you to bring/buy from the Canex?
I don't floss my teeth and rarely use mouthwash, just brush them. Is it still required that I have floss and mouthwash even though I don't plan on using it?

Also, for the luggage size. I know I have to carry my stuff up/down flights of stairs all day so I'm hoping I'll beable to squeeze most of the items im bringing in a very small duffle bag. Would you guys/girls recommend that I use a larger sized bag though, such as a hockey bag?

Alderson said:

I don't floss my teeth and rarely use mouthwash, just brush them. Is it still required that I have floss and mouthwash even though I don't plan on using it?[quote/]Yes, even if you don't use them you will need each item in your locker for inspection.
Also, for the luggage size. I know I have to carry my stuff up/down flights of stairs all day so I'm hoping I'll beable to squeeze most of the items im bringing in a very small duffle bag. Would you guys/girls recommend that I use a larger sized bag though, such as a hockey bag?
Having more space is helpful. If you buy anything while at basic, say while visiting Montreal, you will need somewhere to pack it when you get posted after BMQ. You may end up spending many months awaiting the next phase of your training and having a little extra room to pack all your time wasters will be appreciated when you move from one base to another on taskings, for courses, and eventually on your first posting.

Ludoc said:
Having more space is helpful. If you buy anything while at basic, say while visiting Montreal, you will need somewhere to pack it when you get posted after BMQ. You may end up spending many months awaiting the next phase of your training and having a little extra room to pack all your time wasters will be appreciated when you move from one base to another on taskings, for courses, and eventually on your first posting.

Alright, thanks for the help. Back to Walmart tomorrow I guess...

Alderson said:

I don't floss my teeth and rarely use mouthwash, just brush them. Is it still required that I have floss and mouthwash even though I don't plan on using it?

You will (might) learn very quickly in the military, when you go on a COURSE, when you are handed a kit list, the items contained therein are not suggestions. You aren't going to summer camp.

For the towels - Will I be okay to just bring a regular shower towel and no other towels, then buy the 3 necessary towels at the canex (hand, face, bath towel)?

Bring what how many ever towels it says on the kit list. You will get issued towels, but for the first week, you use your own.

Alderson said:

Good thing the CF provides good dental coverage!  I'm sure the hygenist will be speaking to you!

The kit list includes things that you will have to lay out in your locker for inspection.  If it's on the list, the staff will expect to see it.  They will also expect to see evidence that you are using it.  How you create that illusion is largely up to you, although actually using it is certainly an acceptable course of action.

I am attending BMOQ July 6th at CFLRS and would like clarification on:

1. Casual dress shoes. Are they expecting dress shoes? I've heard many different opinions on it but I don't want to be "that guy" the first day who was under dressed.

2.Razors. Would a razor with disposable heads be acceptable? (Mach 3 for example). I know a full on disposable is not acceptable, but is a head ok?

3. Arrival clothes. Upon arrival is it recommended to wear something that is more casual (Jeans) or would dress pants be expected?

I know these aren't essential issues to address but I am trying to avoid possible issues for BMOQ.

Thanks

Do you keep your cell phone in a personal locker, or is it confiscated and returned in the evening?

levaughan said:
Do you keep your cell phone in a personal locker, or is it confiscated and returned in the evening?

I know it can be an exercise in frustration having to read all the answers already posted on that question; but let me tell you, it is an even bigger exercise in frustration and patience for us to constantly answer that question.

Got BMQ July 25th. I've already got everything packed in a suitcase. They say toiletries for the first 3 days, I arrive on a Saturday. Do those toiletries include toilet paper? I've got soap, shampoo, mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shaving supplies.. But do you have to bring @$$ wipe?

No. 

However, you should bring some Common Sense.  And the stuff on this list.

If you already read that list, or were given some other list, and didn't see toilet paper and still posted the question here, then you know what I said you should bring some Common Sense.

*Note - you are also not required to bring air, rain or sunshine.  They will also be provided.  ^-^

The ability to use both those items above is something useful.....

Eye In The Sky said:
No. 

However, you should bring some Common Sense.  And the stuff on this list.

If you already read that list, or were given some other list, and didn't see toilet paper and still posted the question here, then you know what I said you should bring some Common Sense.

*Note - you are also not required to bring air, rain or sunshine.  They will also be provided.  ^-^
Hey, common sense is always there.. But who knows, maybe this is some survivor thing where they're going to fly me onto a lone island for the first three days to test how well I can survive, hence my question about the toilet paper. lol, but for real. Toiletries, wasn't sure what they supply and what they don't. Yep I seen that list, I have everything there ready to go. Gonna be bringing my "Seasonal Jacket" even though i'm going in the summer!

Back