• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

We had one incident of that on my course.....but then the guy jumped the fence in the middle of the night.....

We all know that thieves are generally taken care of, but that doesn't help if your kit is gone.

Not too many people brough alot of valuables to basic when i got in.........we were very restricted at the time on what we could bring.......

Good Lord, on my 3's there were guys, from other Platoons, buying stereos and all other manner of expensive stuff. I managed to weasel my cash away at the local beverage shops! ;D

Did I mention that during my 3's we lived in tent city, absolutely zero kit security other than Barracks Boxes and steel lockers, not wise to hide 400 bucks worth of stereo gear in.

And it was Voltaire who said, "Common sense isn't so common."

Troops with their first bit of hard cash. At least I can't remember blowing mine!!!

On topic: I took a discman and a couple of books with me for down time. I didn't read much but found the discman handy while doing laundry, polishing boots and for those times when you just want to tune out the section 2i/c who's giving you more personal attention than you need. ;D

I think its important to point out that different platoon staff at St-Jean will have different requirements.

The picture frame is a perfect example.  I didn't arrive with one, and was informed by the then MCpl that he wanted to see a picture in my room ("and not scenery, your car, your family, or yourself, I want to see females").  Later on in the course (week 9 or 10), we lost some people, so I moved to a different pod.  Same guy doing inspections, but two of the guys had gotten away without a picture frame.  One of them was told to get one shortly thereafter that he needed to get one, and the other guy never heard anything about his lack of a picture frame.  I also heard of mention from people in other sections that they never had a picture frame, and they were never told to get one.  So not only was it from different platoon staff, or even different section staff, it was simply differences in what one individual decided to comment on. 

Same idea applies to many other things.  Like the advance (it may not be $220, our platoon only got $100, so don't count on getting a couple hundred).  Many things (ranging from inspections and PT to what you have to carry in your ruck for the 13k) depend on your specific course staff, and what they want to do. 

If they're silly enough to make you buy picture frames, have some fun with it.  Go out and get 30 copies of a picture of your course WO's daughter, one for every picture frame.  Seing the look on his face is worth the crap-storm that follows.

LOL

I would do that except I don't wanna be doing the airborne part without a parachute

aesop081 said:
I had a CD player on my basic...just kept it in the shoe box we had for personal stuff.

A guy on our basic bought a $500 portable DVD player and never had it stolen. Remember, you don't have to keep EVERYTHING in the shoe box, keep all the big items in your luggage, you always have access to it.

jutes said:
A guy on our basic bought a $500 portable DVD player and never had it stolen. Remember, you don't have to keep EVERYTHING in the shoe box, keep all the big items in your luggage, you always have access to it.

Storage ????? I guess recruits have it all these days !!

Well, some of the people in our course brought laptops as well.

Mainly used for movies, but hey, it's a diversion. Of course, when the duty officer comes around for security inspections and wonders why a handful are watching movies while a number of others are doing work, you need to explain pretty quickly.

Sorry to resurrect this thread from it's cyber-grave.... but a quick question: does it matter what colour things are that you bring? Items such as Towels, Face cloths, PT gear, toothbrush case... all that stuff.

Also, on the list of items I have to bring it lists "Sports gear." I'm assuming they don't want me to bring my hockey equipment, or a basketball.... so what exactly is meant by "sports gear."

Hi there Dog congrats on getting in you will enjoy your time . I was in the reserves for a brief time when I was younger and enjoyed it . From what I remember Sports gear was basically t-shirts and jogging pants with running shoes you want a really good par of those . also sports gear in the summer time also included shorts .      Like I said that it has been awhile sense I have been in about 9 years but thats what I remember sports gear being . Also you can call you recruiting center and they will confirm what that means OK so good luck just take it one day at a time and have fun with it

So, in regards to the colour of all my stuff, does it matter?

Should I just hold off on a lot of stuff and buy it when I get there?
I'm getting there Sat. afternoon and my course doesn't officially start until the Monday. Will the Canex@Borden be open over the weekend?

Dog said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread from it's cyber-grave.... but a quick question: does it matter what colour things are that you bring? Items such as Towels, Face cloths, PT gear, toothbrush case... all that stuff.

Do they not issue PT gear and Towels etc for basic anymore? They did when I did it  - lovely army green towels , grey shorty shorts, those awesome running shoes, and the white Tshirts with grey collar and arm bands... we weren't allowed to wear our own PT gear until almost the end. (Except for the shoes)

I don't know about the bathing suit (that men's thing is terrible!) - they didn't have one for women when I did it (thank god!)

The color of your soap holder, toothbrush holder etc won't matter.

Canex should be open - on Sat in Borden

Hi there dog I am not sure about the colour thing . My info is 9 years old and I have been a civy ever sens the best thing that you can do right now is to contact the recruiting center where you got sworn into they should be able to give you all the info that you need . As for the can ex at Borden  I'm not sure on there hours but the one her in Trenton is open on Saturdays .

Well I guess I'll help out here seeing as this is about as close to my lane as any questions come on here!

I did basic last June and was rtu'd I'll be returning same time as you Dog. If nothing has changed drastically since last summer, here's what I know:

Dog said:
does it matter what colour things are that you bring? Items such as Towels, Face cloths, PT gear, toothbrush case... all that stuff.

PT gear (shorts, t-shirts and sweats) will be issued to you,  but just in case there is a problem, bring a set of shorts & t-shirt with you (any colour), once your kit is issued, you can put your personal stuff in the civvie lock up.

Towels, wash cloths are also issued, but you might not get them right away so bring a bath towel and wash cloth with you until they issue you yours. It probably doesn't matter if they match, because your issued ones will and you will most likely store your personal ones in civvie lock up.

Swim suits for women had to be black or dark blue, that's probably the same for men. You need to bring your own, at least we did, none were issued that I'm aware of.

Your toothbrush and case don't have to be any specific colour but some people brought 2 sets - one for inspection and one for using, this goes for razors too.

Dog said:
Also, on the list of items I have to bring it lists "Sports gear." I'm assuming they don't want me to bring my hockey equipment, or a basketball.... so what exactly is meant by "sports gear."

By that I'm sure they mean your running shoes, gym socks. Don't bring sports equipment, that is all supplied and will probably be taken away from you.

Somewhere on the forum, if you do a search, one of the recruits at St. Jean posted some pictures of his locker layout. Search "locker layout" and you might see it. You'll get a good idea from those pictures what you will be aiming for.

Hope this was helpful.

edited to add: we did not visit the Canex until the Tuesday or Wednesday IIRC. Even though training doesn't really start until Monday, we were kept busy getting kit and familiarizing ourselves with our barracks on the Sunday. So don't expect to get to the Canex right away.

cd players are ok if you keep them in your personal effect box, don't get cought sleeping with it though (I use to sleep with mine, music was better than the snoring noise from the guy beside me).

The kit you display for inspection has to look like it's being used otherwise you will get in shit, so use it once or twice then leave it there, but don't let it rot or accumulate dust either ;)

For the floor we had the entire platoon wear wool slippers, spraying pledge on the floor and slide around for a couple of minutes then a quick dusting in the morning.

Also always have 2-3 guys go around every room for security and check if anything is unsecure.

Is there still a commandant flag contest ??

Back