• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passchendaele movie

EW said:
That would be great, but I read somewhere that they were looking at the fall.  Making it about bang on for the time around Remembrance Day.

It will be in theatres for the Thanksgiving weekend, but last month it was announced that it will open the Toronto International Film Festival (http://toronto.com/tiff/article/612787).

dossettd said:
It was filmes at the Tsuu Tsina Reserve in SW Calgary - at least the major battle scenes and the village scene.

I was referring to the movie Brokeback Mountain being filmed near Pincher Creek.  Not Passchendaele.  Sounds like your movie was filmed on the old Sarcee Ranges which were turned back over to the Tsuu Tsina if memory serves me correct.  Legends of the Fall was shot just NW of Calgary to the west of Airdrie and Balzac.

I wonder if there's any chance of a screening being done in KAF?

I'm really, really wishing I didn't have to miss this one in theaters. (or in theater? I suppose either works  ;) )

I could see someone in CFPSA trying to make it happen... It would be pretty decent of them if they could.

88rustang07 said:
Just saw the preview for the movie and got goose bumps... looks AMAZING!  :cdnsalute:

" the english couldnt do it, the french couldnt, only we could... the Canadian core"... awesome

Methinks you mean Corps  ;D

Early screening for us tonight in KAF at Canada House. :D I can't wait.

Review to follow

Saw a prescreening Monday night at the Oxford. Fairly good movie and Paul Gross was on hand after to answer questions in an open forum. Some 10 year old asked him how much of the movie is 'faked' and without giving too much away, it would seem either each incident portrayed, occurred or was a compilation of several events into one. I am not sure if it will take off outside of Canada but as Paul Gross said, it is a movie every Canadian should see. I consider myself to be a bit of a student of our military history but this was a bit of an eye opener. Not overly gruesome but several 'quick' shots of things are still stuck in my head 5 days later. When it comes out on DVD - definitely a keeper!

When it comes out on DVD, let me know, as it won't make it here on the big screen, as no Cdn movie has since I've been here.

On a lighter side, I did watch Slapshot on Thu night. A ripper of a film. Not a Cdn film, but full of Cdn-izms and our national sport.

Regards,

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
When it comes out on DVD, let me know, as it won't make it here on the big screen, as no Cdn movie has since I've been here.

Regards,

OWDU

Yet now I am seeing trailers for the movie Australia starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman.  Too bad our movies don't get down there.

I was at the gala premiere of Passchendaele last night. The screening was for the dignitaries, financial backers, movie crew and the movie extras.  Lots of passess were given to the military here in Calgary and there was a good turn out. DEU's was the dress requirement.  There were a couple of G Wagons at the entrance to the Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts. The premiere was held in the Jack Singer Hall, a venue normally used for plays.  Alliance Pictures had a large screen and some floor and suspended speakers mounted for the performance. The bands of the Kings Own Calgary Regiment and HMCS Tecumseh marched the VIP's in and then continued to play on the stage until the formalities began. The evening introductions started with several speeches including Producer Niv Fichman, Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach, and Paul Gross.  All spoke of their passion towards this movie and the appreciation of the soldiers of yesterday and today. There was also special recognition paid to Nathan Hornberg and his father and the group of soldiers who created the Nathan Hornberg tent camp at the film site.  Additional mention and introduction was also made to an individualwho, through his perseverance, determination and assistance from the Youth Addictions Prevention group, was able to turn around his life, and subsequently join the military and has just returned from Afghanistan.
The movie opened on a battle scene, then to the sweeping vistas and narrative in Alberta, then back at Passchendaele.  I won't say more less I spoil the movie, nor will I give it a review as each movie attendee can make their own impressions and interpretations.

When the movie was over, applause erupted and continued for about two minutes, and a spotlight was put on Paul Gross and the rest of the Actors and Actresses who star in the movie. 
The reception afterwards was an opportunity for everyone to mingle.  Paul Gross, and the rest of the cast were quite patient and gracious as they were approached with the many accolades of appreciation and gratitude for making the movie, as well as the numerous number of photographs taken with the well-wishers.    All in all, a good evening, an entertaining and timely movie and I sure hope that the movie does well.

Just got back from the movie in Lethbridge.

Gutwrenched.

Very different reaction from the Calgary crowd.  Dead Silence.   All the way through the credits. Not a body moved until the house lights went up. A full house.  Not a few middle aged men running for the doors with their wives being dragged along behind them.

Maybe I am just getting older and softer. Or maybe it was too many threads. I fell in love with the foothiills in 1980.  I had the privilege of serving with the heies of the 10th, the Calgary Highlanders.  I had the greater privilege of meeting the last survivor of the 10th. My Grandfather, a Brit,  was a young private in the Devons, who was wounded and gassed and evacuated to a British hospital where he met my Grandmother, a nursing in QARANC.  He attended OCS and received his Commission and returned to service.  He finished up the war as a Captain and Commandant of a PW Camp at Gommecourt-Maubeuge.  His only medals were what he called "mutt and Jeff" but his proudest memorial was a French 75 casing that was polished and hand-hammered with a laurel wreath and and inscription of thanks from the German PWs.  We still have that shell casing the same place my Grandmother kept it.  On the hearth beside the fire.

Thank You, Paul Gross.

I went to see this movie today too, it just opened in the HRM this weekend.

Loved it.  I'll be buying this DVD.

Just got back from watching it, pretty similar to the Calgary crowd here in Vancouver. Here's to Canada :cdn:

Very intense battle scenes and the effects were amazing.

Eye In The Sky said:
I went to see this movie today too, it just opened in the HRM this weekend.

Loved it.  I'll be buying this DVD.

Buy two!

Send me one. I can paypal you or send US cash, and I am not joking.

Passchendaele is close to my heart, always has been. On the 6th Nov 1917 my Great Uncle, 267104 PTE R.F. Allen, late of the 28th Battalion (a Saskatchewan based Unit), CEF lost both legs, and his left arm in the taking of the Vill on the morning of the 6th. He DOW'd the following day at No.3 CCS, near Rouen France.

It was my genuine interest in him, which lit the fuse of a long career in two armies, operational service, and almost 33 yrs later, still going the 'hard yakka'.

Cheers,

OWDU.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Buy two!

Send me one. I can paypal you or send US cash, and I am not joking.

Passchendaele is close to my heart, always has been. On the 6th Nov 1917 my Great Uncle, 267104 PTE R.F. Allen, late of the 28th Battalion (a Saskatchewan based Unit), CEF lost both legs, and his left arm in the taking of the Vill on the morning of the 6th. He DOW'd the following day at No.3 CCS, near Rouen France.

It was my genuine interest in him, which lit the fuse of a long career in two armies, operational service, and almost 33 yrs later, still going the 'hard yakka'.

Cheers,

OWDU.

OWDU,

Not a problem.  I'll be watching to see when this is out on DVD here in Halifax, and when it does, I'll nab one for you too.  If its close enough, it will be in your stocking for Christmas.  Its not flavoured jellybeans like you got 2 years ago but.... :cdn:

EITS

TacticalW said:
Just got back from watching it, pretty similar to the Calgary crowd here in Vancouver. Here's to Canada :cdn:

Very intense battle scenes and the effects were amazing.

Same at the theater I attended in an Ottawa suburb.  Prior to the movie there was a high school band, and a number of the theater personnel dressed in period civilian clothing.  They did a Q&A competition with the audience.  Winners got a movie poster for Passchendaele.  I was happy to see that the audience was a real mix of all ages, and they really got into the Q&A. 

No one moved or said a word during the end credits. A great testament to the power of the film.

Wes you could've asked me if you wanted one LOL :p I'm waiting to see it still. Waiting for a few history geeks to come along with me.

Hi Derek,

Looks like EITS has got me covered.

I would imagine it will be sometime in 09 the DVD goes on sale??

Cheers,

Wes

This is a powerful film.  To say I was moved by it would be an understatement.

I had a Grandfather who fought in the Salient but was wounded a year before the Battle of Passchendaele while at the Somme, and a Great Uncle who was there and was wounded in Dec 1917. Pale Gross did right by them.  He should get the Order of Canada for making this film happen.

I saw it this afternoon and while it reminded me of a CBC movie, it was one of the better CBC movies. Worth going to see and worth owning.

A little curious; have there been many people in the theatre at the locations you all have been seeing it at? 

When the DVD does come out I hope that they put on some extras such as The Making of Passchendaele and at least one historical aspect such as the one that was featured on Turning Points in History.  I saw both of these programmes last weekend and they would make an excellent additional resource.  I sure hope that the official speeches at the Calgary Premiere were captured to add as an additional special feature.  Paul Gross spoke quite well and made some very heartfelt comments honouring soldiers from past and present. 

Back