• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passchendaele Mystery

ExSarge

Inactive
Reaction score
I need help in finding primary source material to verify the following information. Unfortunately the only information I have is what’s included in the text. Supposedly the “Special Order No. 1” was found in a recaptured pillbox at Passchendaele.  Obviously I would like to know the story behind this order as well as the nationality of “Section no. 1” and the regiment. This text was included in a 1936 pamphlet that was handed out as a battlefield tour guide. The pamphlet had info on all western front battlefields 1914 to 1918 and was published in Britain. I suspect it was issued for the dedication for the Vimy memorial.

Found in a Pillbox at Passchendaele in 1917 after It’s Recapture by Allied Troops
Special order to no.1 section.
1. This position will be held and the section will remain here until relieved.
2. The enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this programme.
3. If this section cannot remain here alive it will remain here dead but in any case it will remain here.
4. Should any man through shell-shock or such cause attempt to surrender he will stay here dead.
5. Should all guns be blown out the section will use Mills grenades and other novelties.
6. Finally the position as stated will be held.

CAMPBELL CPL.

My often suspect memory thinks that this order was credited to an ANZAC Corporal. I can vaguely remember reading it somewhere. Hope this helps.

tango22a

http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/1918/images/exdoc40_bethune.jpg
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070285b.htm

Thank you, what may have been a frustrating and lengthy search thru primary documentation for me was solved in less than 4 hours. In the mean time I visited my wife in hospital, walked the dog and started to wall mount the new flat screen. Got’a get that thing bolted to the wall before she gets home.  You fella's can back me up on this; once it’s up there is no returning it!

ExSarge said:
Thank you, what may have been a frustrating and lengthy search thru primary documentation for me was solved in less than 4 hours. In the mean time I visited my wife in hospital, walked the dog and started to wall mount the new flat screen. Got’a get that thing bolted to the wall before she gets home.  You fella's can back me up on this; once it’s up there is no returning it!

ExSarge, thank you for posting that story! I had never heard of it, although Tango22A, and I am sure many others had. I enjoy looking stuff up. We can thank Google!
I hope that you and your wife enjoy that new TV. Wall mounted, eh!? I love mine. I got it at Costco. I don't have a dog, but there are lots in my neighbourhood. 

That message looks like it was written on a modern, though yellowed, FMP.  Some things never change.  As far as using a primary source goes, you could have asked recceguy.  He was probably around! ;D

Soon as I started to read it, I knew exactly what it was. Bethune is not well known here in military history, but his order truly are.

Thanks MM for the link.

Adance Australia!

OWDU

Reminds me of the of the monument in a CWGC cemetery on the Somme:
“The Devonshires Held this Trench, The Devonshires Hold it Still”
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/somme/images/devonshires-held-this-trench-detail-250.jpg

Back