• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Patient Simulation

How active is your unit's patient simulation program? We have simulations running...

• what's a patient simulator?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once a week

• A couple of times a month

• Once a month or fewer

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Haven't used it yet

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • what's a patient simulator?

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donut

Inactive
Reaction score
I've just gotten back from the METI run Human Patient Simulation Network 2006 conference, and there appears to be some discrepancies between regions and units as to how much use we're getting out of these highly priced pieces of equipment.

Some units and regions reportedly run them all the time, some fire them up once in a blue moon.

If, along with your vote you could leave a note as to which base/unit you're from (feel free to PM it to me if you'd rather not say on an open forum) I'd be much obliged.

Thanks for participating,

DF

Paramedtech,
I said "Once a month or fewer". Does that sound about right? ;D
All the best,
Bart

Hey Jerk,  ;) how was Tampa Fla in Mar anyway? Get enough booze in ya?

We have 3 METI man, the only sub unit who uses it regularly is the Base medical clinic as theirs in right inside their building. I haven't touched a sim since before my last roto 18 months ago.

I think part of the problem with the "blue mooners" is misunderstanding of the durability of the kit...

I was in an argument with someone last summer - who claimed that they could only be set up by the company's techs, they couldn't move... etc, etc

Truth is - we spend the entire first and last day of my crse assembling, and disassembling - our instr also showed us video of one of the US Army's trg facilities in TX - very sweet - basically an aircraft hangar divided into zones - front line, meti's on grd, HMMVW cut in half with two METI's loaded, chopper cut in half with METI's loaded, FST facility with METI's, and CSH with METI's... so they didn't have much to use...

Second problem - scenario building/sharing - i saw this in action in the fall - the best way is to have a really keen clinician and an operator - in my case (as operator) - my clinician was also an excellent operator with some really good scenarios pre-built...

I think the more people use it, the more they'll use it - and vice versa - you have to be comfortable with it when Observer/Controllers starting changing scenarios "on the fly".  It will take time - and when our unit doesn't have one - the three pers who are qual'd to operate it simply don't get enough hands on to build that comfort.

tlm.

Back