• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Patrol Blues For Health Services

Would you like to wear blues?

• YES!!!

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • NO

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I Dont Know...

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Looks Too Army To Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is Patrol Blues?

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

medaid

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well the title says it all. I like the patrol blues, I think it is a very sharp uniform that bridges the gap between DEU and Mess Dress, and could be warn for occasions that require formal wear, but wearing of the Mess Dress would be too much. The DEU just cannot compare when it comes to the look of the patrol blues. The high collar, sam brown and maroon stripe down the side of the trousers just says it all.

1) So would YOU the average Health Services soldier like a set of patrols if it was allowed?
2) How do we go about bringing the Patrols back into the Health Services?

Just what I need, another uniform in my closet  :-X

ParaMedTech said:
Just what I need, another uniform in my closet  :-X

I agree, but can someone post a picture? I've never even heard of them.  ???

Just currious, as i have never heard of them but would this be something that the member would buy on their own ( like mess kit) or another drain on the budget issued ?

I thought patrol dress was a reserve thing? They are the only ones I've ever seen wear them.  For the record I have a set.  It'll run you around 750.00 or so. Looks sharp.

I suspect it's a "reserve thing" because most (all?) the Regiments who wore them traditionally were struck from the Regular OrBat at one time or another.  Kinda like the Scots and the Irish Regiments.

Any one who was around able to verify/refute?

DF

Well this is a wiki link.  Not the best but it seems to be reserve only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_Canadian_Forces#Full_dress_and_patrol_dress

Yes it is a "Reserve" thing.  Actually, IIRC the wording in CF Dress Instructions is/was "Militia".  But it has been several+ years since I've referred to them.  At the time it was to confirm that an officer with whom I served was allowed under then current regulations to purchase, at his own expense, patrol dress to wear at his wedding.  I believe CFP 265 referrred to them as included in No. 1 order of dress.  If memory serves me right, the book states that the uniform was to be of a regimental pattern or of the former Canadian Army Corps/Regt pattern, including insignia.

From viewing old photos of Canadian Army units, it seems that the wearing of patrols was generally restricted to officers, warrant officers and Snr NCOs.  Cost probably had something to with it.

But it is still a uniform, and as such the wearing of it is subject to regulations as well as authorization from the chain of command.  So it seems, if you're a member of the "Militia", have several hundred plus dollars and want to play dress up, go for it.

MedTech said:
Well the title says it all. I like the patrol blues, I think it is a very sharp uniform that bridges the gap between DEU and Mess Dress, and could be warn for occasions that require formal wear, but wearing of the Mess Dress would be too much. The DEU just cannot compare when it comes to the look of the patrol blues. The high collar, sam brown and maroon stripe down the side of the trousers just says it all.

1) So would YOU the average Health Services soldier like a set of patrols if it was allowed?
2) How do we go about bringing the Patrols back into the Health Services?
Ok, dumb question here, how many years are you going back?  I've got a few years under my belt plus some in the reserves {militia} and have never heard of Patrol Dress.  I think we are getting rid of having so many uniforms; I remember when we had Garrison Dress with the belt and paint by number jacket, plus CF's, plus combats. I like it now where we have one for work and one for parade.  I used to hate having to wear the "nice" clothes when chaining down a load or crawling underneath a vehicle to check for leaks, or when greasing forks or changing a cutting edge. 
I can get dirty now and not have to worry about it.
Sorry, rant off.

8)

Thanks for that Blackadder.  I've run across several members who lament the loss of the uniform, the originator of this thread included, and I've never known the history behind it.

I do know the RAMC pers I served with on a SUE with 75 ER didn't have them (but they did have the snazy blue beret), but they were all NCM's, so I was never sure.

DF

Ok, dumb question here, how many years are you going back?

Hey BTY Driver, I remember wearing dickies with the old 'bus driver work' dress. First I've heard of 'Patrol Blues' also.. ???

-gerry

BYT Driver said:
...how many years are you going back?  I've got a few years under my belt plus some in the reserves {militia} and have never heard of Patrol Dress. 
  For the Reg Force:  Before you joined, before I joined, before Gen Hillier joined, though he may remember seeing them from his days as an Army Cadet. 

Reg force thing, Res force thing.....

Some units have maintained an inventory of their old dress uniform - be they Patrol blues or scarlets...
- RCR & PPCLI have their scarlets & Pith helmets
- R22R have their Scarlets & Bearskins
- LDSH have their Scarlets, breast plates, helmets, lances & horses
- 5 RGC (5 CER) have enough Patrol blues to put out a guard in full RCE (not CME) regalia....

I wore patrol blues many years ago, sharp looking uniform... but, when wearing em on a cold & wet November Rememberance day ceremony with wind coming off the river coming up my back (and front) - silk/poly lining would turn to ICE!!! Brrrr!!!!!

BTW medtech - wearing Blues on ceremonial occasions, never say anyone wear a Sam Browne with em.... white belts for the ORs and Silk sash for the RSM & Offrs

Our's have chain maill on the shoulders and Claymore charged about $750.00 a set.

recceguy said:
Our's have chain maill on the shoulders and Claymore charged about $750.00 a set.
Claymores are for highland units
Armoured & cavalry have sabres... and yes, chainmail epaulettes
(scarlet forage caps too !/?)

I love the old patrols. I remember seeing my father's set (8 Fd Arty in Hamilton) - it was actually one of the reasons I wanted to be a soldier when I was little.

I had heard they were much cheaper than Mess Kit - ~$400 vice the ~$1,100 I paid for my total Mess Kit complete (need to get more work done on it - last promotion is going to be costly to add....). And, if they were cheaper, then more Junior Officers could afford them.

The other thing I liked was the ability to wear a sword and have it look good. DEU sucks in my opinion - it looks cheap, and adding a sword doesn't help. But Patrols - now they look good.

Any historians know when RCAMC stopped using them?

.... unification & arrival of CF Green uniform
also - when the RCAMC stopped calling itself RCAMC

same as when the RCE became THE CEM, medical services cap badge and collar dogs were not authorized for wear

geo said:
Claymores are for highland units
Armoured & cavalry have sabres... and yes, chainmail epaulettes
(scarlet forage caps too !/?)

I believe the Claymore reference was meant to mean that Claymore Clothes, a military tailor in Vancouver, had tailored a set of patrol dress blues with chainmail for $750.

They are a sharp looking uniform. Patrols are still worn at RMC (or at least they were in the 80's) and I have see some RCHA Gunners take them out for special functions (incl weddings, where I think they look better than mess kit).

As for bringing them back - no thanks! Too many uniforms and other kit crowding up the house. 

blackadder1916 said:
Yes it is a "Reserve" thing.  Actually, IIRC the wording in CF Dress Instructions is/was "Militia".  But it has been several+ years since I've referred to them.  At the time it was to confirm that an officer with whom I served was allowed under then current regulations to purchase, at his own expense, patrol dress to wear at his wedding.  I believe CFP 265 referrred to them as included in No. 1 order of dress.  If memory serves me right, the book states that the uniform was to be of a regimental pattern or of the former Canadian Army Corps/Regt pattern, including insignia.

From viewing old photos of Canadian Army units, it seems that the wearing of patrols was generally restricted to officers, warrant officers and Snr NCOs.  Cost probably had something to with it.

But it is still a uniform, and as such the wearing of it is subject to regulations as well as authorization from the chain of command.  So it seems, if you're a member of the "Militia", have several hundred plus dollars and want to play dress up, go for it.

Really?! WOW! That'll be cool! Ya... like ParaMedTech said, I lament about it allot. What actually brought this up was when I was helping an ex-CO of the unit with a display in the Medical Museum in the Brigade Building. *sigh* It was obviously a display with patrol blues in it. You're right no Sam Brown worn on parade, just something I thought I'd throw in there. The Sam Brown was authorized as the proscribed accoutrement for an officer underarms and in the field, if I remember... and also garrison. Anywho... I would love to get a set, and if it's actually allowed, then I will go forth and acquire one, and yes wear it to my wedding. I wander if I can wear it to my mess dinners? :P

Back