• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay Decrease with Certain Promotions?

bluruin

Inactive
Reaction score
Does the CF allow certain promotions to be accompanied by pay deceases?

Example:

2LT [Pay Incr 2] ($4774) 
                  to
LT [Pay Incr Basic] ($4488)
                  =
pay decrease of $286

Or would the freshly minted LT be placed in Pay Incr 1 or 2 rather than Basic in order to ensure that he/she doesn't get fiscally penalized for being promoted?

I couldn't find much on this topic besides this:

Military Grievances External Review Committee: Pay Protection

Exactly this scenario was covered. The conclusion:

Although the apparent intent of subparagraph 204.04(3) (b) is to protect the CF members who are promoted from suffering a decrease in pay, unfortunately, as demonstrated by this grievance, that protection may not be effective in the case of some backdated promotions.

The CDS did not agree with the Board's recommendation. Although the CDS agreed that no one should have pay recovered when they are promoted, he found that it would be more appropriate for CMP to review the promotion policy and the application of CBI 204.211(12) (Completion of training) in situations where training is delayed.

So, it sounds like this particular officer didn't win his grievance and was stuck with the pay cut. But, since this particular case, has policy being updated or revised?

Read CBI 204.04.  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-204-pay-policy-officers-ncms.page#sec-204-04

Thanks for that, I'll save that for future reference.

So in the example I gave, the 2LT (Pay Grade 2) would be promoted to LT (Pay Incr 3), because a promotion must be accompanied by a pay increase great than the difference between the new rank's Basic and 1st Increment $ value (in this case, about $350).

Shifting to LT (Pay Incr 2) would be insufficient, given this requirement.

dapaterson said:
Read CBI 204.04.  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-204-pay-policy-officers-ncms.page#sec-204-04

I wonder if this is not being applied in the case of spec pay MWO when promoted to CWO, I know I only got like a $23 pay increase, which is not more that CWO basic to CWO 1.

Jon

Wow 2Lt salaries have increased 2.5X since the early 90's!. I was excited about my ~$23K per year in St. jean LOL.

bluruin said:
Thanks for that, I'll save that for future reference.

So in the example I gave, the 2LT (Pay Grade 2) would be promoted to LT (Pay Incr 3), because a promotion must be accompanied by a pay increase great than the difference between the new rank's Basic and 1st Increment $ value (in this case, about $350).

Shifting to LT (Pay Incr 2) would be insufficient, given this requirement.

I'm attempting to do some financial planning. If I understand 204.4(3)b correctly, a 2LT at incentive 3 being promoted to LT will now be at LT incentive 5 (DEO entry plan). My math is as follows; 4843 - 4488 = 355.  2LT pay was 5128.  Thus 5128 + 355 = 5483, next incentive pay for LT is 5555.  Therefore on promotion of a 2LT incentive pay 3, deo, the LT's new pay would be 5555 per month.  Is this correct?

Judging by your math, and keeping in the "C" pay scale, you are indeed correct.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Log Offr said:
Wow 2Lt salaries have increased 2.5X since the early 90's!. I was excited about my ~$23K per year in St. jean LOL.

About the same as the COLA since the early 90's, give or take a couple of dollars.

Back