• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay FY 07/08

Here you go Vern....

UNCLAS CANFORGEN 102/07 CMP 041/07
SIC WBS
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ: STATUS OF PAY AND ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE INCREASES -
EFFECTIVE 1 APR 07 - GENERAL SERVICE OFFICERS (GSO) AND PILOTS, LCOL
AND BELOW, MEDICAL AND DENTAL (MED/DENT) OFFICER LTS AND 2LTS, AND
NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS (NCM)
1.  THE PURPOSE OF THIS MSG IS TO PROVIDE YOU WITH AN UPDATE ON THE
PRESENT SITUATION REGARDING FISCAL YEAR (FY) 07/08 PAY AND
ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE INCREASES
2.  THE CF WILL NOT BE IN A POSITION TO DELIVER FY 07/08 PAY AND
ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE INCREASES IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE FOR
REASONS OUTLINED BELOW.  ONCE INCREASES ARE APPROVED, THEY WILL BE
RETROACTIVE TO 1 APR 07
3.  CF PAY AND ALLOWANCE INCREASE PERCENTAGES FOR GSOS AND PILOTS,
LCOL AND BELOW, MED/DENT OFFICERS IN THE RANK OF LT AND 2LT, AND

PAGE 2 RCCLHAV6036 UNCLAS
NCMS ARE BASED ON A COMPARABILITY MODEL THAT MEASURES THE EFFECT OF
PUBLIC SERVICE (PS) SALARY IMPROVEMENTS FOR THOSE GROUPS BENCHMARKED
TO MILITARY OCCUPATIONS.  BASED ON THESE PS SALARY IMPROVEMENTS, THE
CF PAY MODEL IS ADJUSTED ACCORDINGLY TO MAINTAIN THE REQUIRED PAY
RELATIVITY
4.  OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS, MOST COLLECTIVE AGREEMENTS IN THE PS
HAVE BEEN IN EFFECT MAKING THE DETERMINATION OF THE VALUE OF THE
COMPARATOR GROUP FOR BENCHMARKING TO CF OCCUPATIONS A ROUTINE
MATTER.  HOWEVER, GIVEN THAT THE MAJORITY OF COLLECTIVE AGREEMENTS
FOR THE PS GROUPS BENCHMARKED TO THE CF ARE DUE TO EXPIRE IN THE
COMING MONTHS, THERE WILL BE LITTLE OR NO PUBLIC SERVICE
COMPENSATION DATA AVAILABLE UPON WHICH TO DEVELOP A RATIONAL AND
SUPPORTABLE CF PAY RAISE PROPOSAL FOR TREASURY BOARD CONSIDERATION. 
WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS SITUATION CLOSELY AND EXPECT TO BE
IN A POSITION TO PROVIDE AN UPDATE ON COLLECTIVE BARGAINING RESULTS
IN THE PUBLIC SERVICE IN THE SEP-OCT 07 TIMEFRAME
5.  YOUR ON-GOING PATIENCE IS THIS REGARD IS APPRECIATED
END OF ENGLISH TEXT

X-mo-1979 said:
Funny.
Being one of those fine combat arms trades,I am one of 3 out of 38 left in the army that I joined with.Funny thing is they all have huge houses out west,big SUV's in the driveway,and are saving money to buy a house out east.Funny thing is besides high school all they have is their battle school.
One in particular who I visited at the end of maple Guardian (my job hunt,paid for by the CF  ;D) was making over 200,000 grand a year.

and if you don't want to live out west driving a rig or working the oil fields?  As it is I am happy in my field of work and have no interest in living out west or working those jobs. Had friends do both and I would rather spend the time with my family as a full time father than a part timer otherwise I would have stayed field or gone hard sea. I intentially chose my field to max time with my family while making a decent wage as I consider this more important than a crap load of money and kids that don't recognize me.

If my medical treatment you mean our UMS.....
Dental.... I can't get braces without going on freakin TCAT ::)
If your looking for 25 days off a year and to make great cash head west.It's called "break-up"IIRC.Good 2 months off where the rig's cannot drive around.

I mean medical and dental for you and your dependants.  Going on TCAT for braces only makes sense so I don't see a problem there.

I can only say one of the 12 or so I stay in contact with faired out worse.He was lazy in the army as well.

The money to be had in skilled trades alone.Take two years and go to school.

not everyone is interested in so called skill trades nor is everyone cut out for them. Industrial arts in school quickly showed me that if you can't draw a straight line with a ruler then don't do anything in the "skilled" labour. As for take two years and go to school - will you support me, my wife and 4 kids while I do this?

There are plenty of great options out there,the army (and people like yourself) seem to breed the rumours like this.Some weird old school form of retention I guess.

Those plenty of great options don't seem to make it in any of the ads I see - unless you already have the training and experience they want (or want to work the oil field).

If you couldnt find work paying better than a Mcpl/MS (I am as well) with enough money to make up for the benifits...you must have been trying to live the dream on the east coast or something.

With my trade conversion onto civvie street outside the government jobs generally go at 20k or less, 2 weeks vacation and no health or dental coverage.  Once in a blue moon there will be something that hits into the 30k range.  Compare that to military pay and benefits - in 1 year alone the medical coverage for my wife has covered 10k in medicine. Add in the dental and medical coverage for 4 children and the price tag climbs very rapidly.

As for the "dream on the east coast" I would take that any day over the bubble of the west but I have checked ads for all over and it is generally the same everywhere.

Another 2% coming our way effective April 08. Check out the latest CANFORGEN.

oozieman said:
Another 2% coming our way effective April 08. Check out the latest CANFORGEN.

;)  ... Oh - a raise!!

CANFORGEN 114/08 CMP 044/08

CANFORGEN 114/08 CMP 044/08 231403Z JUN 08
REG AND RES FORCE - PAY AND ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE INCREASE
UNCLASSIFIED

AS YOUR CHIEF OF THE DEFENCE STAFF, I AM DEDICATED TO ENSURING THAT CF PERSONNEL RECEIVE FAIR AND EQUITABLE COMPENSATION THAT RECOGNIZES THE VALUE OF THE IMPORTANT WORK THEY PERFORM IN THE SERVICE OF CANADA

IN KEEPING WITH THIS PHILOSOPHY, I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE A 2.0 PERCENT PAY INCREASE FOR ALL NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS, GENERAL SERVICE OFFICERS (LCOL AND BELOW), PILOTS (LCOL AND BELOW), AND MEDICAL AND DENTAL OFFICERS (LT AND 2LT). THIS INCREASE IS EFFECTIVE 1 APR 08 AND IS ANTICIPATED TO BE DELIVERED IN FALL 08

ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCES, INCLUDING THE NEW LAND DUTY ALLOWANCE, AND SPECIAL OPERATIONS ASSAULTER, SUBMARINE SPECIALTY, STRESS FOR TEST PARTICIPANTS AND CFS ALERT ALLOWANCES ARE ALSO INCREASED BY 2.0 PERCENT EFFECTIVE 1 APR 08. NEW REGULAR AND RESERVE FORCE PAY RATES AND NEW ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE RATES WILL BE PROMULGATED SHORTLY

THESE IMPROVEMENTS ARE AN IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF THE CF TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE AND COMPLEMENT OTHER ONGOING FINANCIAL AND NON-FINANCIAL INITIATIVES DIRECTED AT MAINTAINING THE CF AS A CAREER OF CHOICE FOR CURRENT AND PROSPECTIVE CF PERSONNEL

SIGNED BY GEN R.J. HILLIER, CDS

Ought to go nicely with all my back pay.  Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket..... ;D

Check my profile for more info!

gee - that will go great with the cost of living only going up an estimated 2.23% from last year (May 2007 to May 2008) according to Bank of Canada.

CountDC said:
gee - that will go great with the cost of living only going up an estimated 2.23% from last year (May 2007 to May 2008) according to Bank of Canada.

Well then, can i please have your 2% ?

My 2% plus your 2% will put me above the bank of Canada's estimate just fine.

While I am pleased to see more in my pay packet, this was pointed out by one of the PO2.  The 2.2 percent adjustment previously mentioned was back to Apr/07.  That according to the message was to tide us over until the raise came in.  Well it has, but only to Apr 08.  There seems to be a missing year there.  Seems like a fast one is being pulled.

The PO2 here was talking about it yesterday, but I never got a chance to look up the CANFORGEN til this morning.
Nice thing to wake up to at work...lol
I'm happy we are getting a 2% pay raise.
Its damn expensive raising kids on your own and every little bit that comes in makes it a little easier.
:)

For me, I'd be happy if a raise/economic adjustment/cost of living increase or whatever else they want to call it this time around actually started landing in my bank account shortly after it was announced and not 4-6-8 months down the road.  You'd think they were still doing our pay with an abacus and sending us pay statements on papyrus for the length of time it takes.

CDN Aviator said:
Well then, can i please have your 2% ?

My 2% plus your 2% will put me above the bank of Canada's estimate just fine.

That would be nice - 4% would give you an actual raise for once instead of all these increases that stay below the cost of living increase. Unfortunately my family and the government has already claimed it - a quick estimate makes it about $100 per month, government share is about 36% leaving $64 per month $32 per pay.

Now before anyone goes off half cocked about if you don't like the pay etc etc etc etc.  I do believe we are paid a decent rate - as I said earlier most can not find the same job on civvy street with the same pay and benefits. Out there I would be lucky to make above minimum wage.  What I don't like is that we keep getting increases instead of a real raise that is  "CF PERSONNEL RECEIVE FAIR AND EQUITABLE COMPENSATION THAT RECOGNIZES THE VALUE OF THE IMPORTANT WORK THEY PERFORM IN THE SERVICE OF CANADA" Guess this means the work I am doing today is of less value than last year or even 20 years ago.

The new raise covers my anti-reflective coating for my FREE eye glasses!  DH is styling!  8)  Could this day get any better? 

No that is not the sarcasm speaking.

Heh,,, the CDS' decision to announce the 2% does not preclude another adjustment ONCE the PS contract negociations are complete.  I can only thank the CDS for biting the bullet and coming up with some cash to tide us away until PS negs are done.

Why the sarcasm ???

geo said:
Heh,,, the CDS' decision to announce the 2% does not preclude another adjustment ONCE the PS contract negociations are complete.  I can only thank the CDS for biting the bullet and coming up with some cash to tide us away until PS negs are done.

Why the sarcasm ???

I'm trying to figure out the same thing seeing as how they just got a COLA of 2% all backdated on 01 Apr.

Now they get a raise ... and yet they still bitch.

Unbelieveable.

geo said:

Why the sarcasm ???

Since the 2% "tide us over" pay increase is the same as what was awarded last year, and there was (supposedly) to be a further adjustment pending PS negotiations (which are still ongoing), I trust that the adjustment you refer to above will be retroactive to 1 Apr 07.

I don't care about the details, other than I end up with more.  I agree with Springroll: every bit counts.  I have a "traditional" nuclear family: stay at home mom, 2.1 kids and 1.8 dogs, etc.  Yes, my choice, but since they're giving me more, I'll just smile and say "thank you".

ArmyVern said:
I'm trying to figure out the same thing seeing as how they just got a COLA of 2% all backdated on 01 Apr.

Now they get a raise ... and yet they still *****.

Unbelieveable.

maybe because that COLA, raise, increase or whatever you want to call it is always lower than the increase in the cost of living.  At least once in a while they could match it.

CountDC said:
maybe because that COLA, raise, increase or whatever you want to call it is always lower than the increase in the cost of living.  At least once in a while they could match it.

I suppose then, that when they do that -- you'll have them take away the PLPD??  (Oh, I see you're in Ottawa, lost yours already <-- some of us have never gotten it though).
Holy crap people -- get a grip on reality. You got a raise ... more than the average Canadian did. Be thankful for that.

CountDC said:

Think of it this way:

Is there another job out in civvie land, similar to what you are currently doing, where you can be making $60k after just a few years working there??

I highly doubt it, unless your into computers...

Be grateful for what you are getting. Good pay, benefits, PLD, sea pay etc etc...very, VERY few jobs out in civvie land offer perks like what we receive.

2% for me adds up to one of my kids being able to take on an extracurricular activity or a family dinner out together at a decent restaurant (Not McD's..lol).

Springroll said:
Think of it this way:

Is there another job out in civvie land, similar to what you are currently doing, where you can be making $60k after just a few years working there??

I highly doubt it, unless your into computers...

Be grateful for what you are getting. Good pay, benefits, PLD, sea pay etc etc...very, VERY few jobs out in civvie land offer perks like what we receive.

2% for me adds up to one of my kids being able to take on an extracurricular activity or a family dinner out together at a decent restaurant (Not McD's..lol).

I have already stated prior that we get a good wage and that outside the government my trade becomes about $20k if lucky - nor have I complained about the rate of pay. My point has been, as already stated, that I would like to see them match the increase in cost of living once in awhile to show how much they value our work and keep our spending dollar at par.

Glad this means your kid will be able to take on an extracurricular or you can take them out to dinner - I on the other hand can not say the same unless it is McD's which costs $40. Most extra activities are over $200 so this doesn't even cover half and with the price of everything sky rocketing this is a drop in the bucket. I cycle to work to save money, keep shoppng trips to a minimum (unfortunately everything is so far away we have no choice but to drive), even given up the daily timmies to ensure we can maintain the life we value more (although I do miss the timmies!!).

Back