• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying 2 times for quarters ?

Darkage

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a regulation saying that we can't pay for quarters at 2 different place... I'm at RMC right now and I'm paying for a single room even if I live in PMQ (I asked to move out in order to get common law with my girlfriend who is also going to RMC).

Thanks

A few research sources to look for before you write your memo:

DEDUCTIONS FOR THE PROVISIONS OF SINGLE QUARTERS
Effective 01 Jun 2006
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/sq_table_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

Refs:
A. QR&O 208.50
B. QR&O 28.20
C. DCBA 007/06 261821Z APR 06

Thanks for the quick reply

I'll go check if I can find what I need in those references! I found the first 2 but where can I get the last one ?

Thanks

Try the DIN, alternatively ask your orderly room to try and find a copy.

There is orders out there that says that you can not be charged for quarters if you have proof that you are paying accomodations elsewhere but I can not think of it right now but will look for it.

Thanks, I'll ask the orderly room since we don't have access to the DIN at RMC.

super26, tell me if you find it, that's exactly what I need

Thanks to you guys

Don't know how much help I can be, aside from the fact that it was all done for me - when I got married at RMC in 2000 and moved into Qs the OR did all the admin for me; I ended up only paying for the Q. For a while, I was allowed to eat at the mess as well, until they went to a card system.

JTQ

Darkage said:
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a regulation saying that we can't pay for quarters at 2 different place... I'm at RMC right now and I'm paying for a single room even if I live in PMQ (I asked to move out in order to get common law with my girlfriend who is also going to RMC).

Thanks

That's the big thing.  To get common law.  You are not common law yet.  RMC regulations stipulate that you need to maintain a room at RMC at all time.  They make the exception of married people (or common law).  It's in the CADWINs somewhere, I was in the same boat last year, 1st semester, until I realized that they would count the time before RMC (me and my spouse lived together for 7 months before I headed to RMC.  Then we were separated for service reason.  As soon as you get common law or married, they will take you off rations.

Max

Ah... I missed the "in order to get" part. Aren't there other ways to get commonlaw - like sharing bank accounts? I must admit I don't know anything about CL - I went straight for the marriage route.

JTQ

For the Forces, in order to be recognized as common law you must live with the same person for 12 consecutive months and live as spouses.

Here is the order (QR&O 1.075):

1.075 – COMMON-LAW PARTNER AND COMMON-LAW PARTNERSHIP

(1) This article applies to all regulations, orders and instructions issued to the Canadian Forces under the National Defence Act.

(2) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this article.

"common-law partner", in relation to an officer or non-commissioned member, means a person who has been cohabiting with the member in a conjugal relationship

(a) for a period of at least one year; or

(b) for a period of less than one year, if the member and the person have jointly assumed the support of a child. (conjoint de fait)

"common-law partnership" means the relationship between an officer or non-commissioned member and the common-law partner of that member.

(3) In the definition "common-law partner", child means a child or legal ward of the common-law partner or the member or both, or an individual adopted legally or in fact by the common-law partner or the member or both.

(4) For greater certainty, a common-law partnership does not end solely because the officer or non-commissioned member and the common-law partner are living separately for military reasons.

(5) When an officer or non-commissioned member has a spouse from whom the member is separated and a common-law partner, a reference to a "spouse or common-law partner" in respect of that member means the common-law partner.

(G) (P.C. 2001-1508 of 28 August 2001 effective 1 September 2001)

To come back to the original topic, last year, I shared a room with a friend of mine.  I obviously didn't live there but I only had to pay for half of the price of the room (and my friend as well).  It also gave me a place to put my college uniforms.

Max

Back