• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting)

darkskye

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

So, I have used the search function and I have read the CF Drill Manual, but I am still a little unsure thus I am posting here.

During a ceremony (High School Graduation), the National Anthem is played, inside, do you come to attention or replace your head dress and salute?

Thank you,

darkskye

Dumb question.  Of course you are.  Is this your grad?  I'm pretty sure you have to keep your headress on for the whole ceremony inside or out until it's over.  Even as a guest.  So that should answer your question.

Leave your headdress on during the ceremony, stand and salute when the National Anthem is played.

darkskye said:
No, it's my sister's graduation.

Thanks!

And you're going in uniform why???

Without posting links to QR & Os and all that, the basic concept is 'you were your uniform when on duty or for/during an appropriate type of military function/ceremony'.  If you're Reserves, it's somewhat more defined and restricted.

Your sister grad doesn't seem to hit the mark (IMO).  Others opinions will vary of course.

Now, the military aspect aside, and again IMO, I wouldn't attend my sister's grad in uniform; it's her night, don't *upstage* her.  That's my  :2c:.

Eye In The Sky said:
And you're going in uniform why???

Without posting links to QR & Os and all that, the basic concept is 'you were your uniform when on duty or for/during an appropriate type of military function/ceremony'.  If you're Reserves, it's somewhat more defined and restricted.

IIRC, there was a CANFORGEN not long ago that basically said if it was a function you would wear a business suit to, that DEU was acceptable (and encouraged (?)).  I think it was about getting the CF out in the public eye.

That being said, I also would not wear it to a high school grad.  Just my  :2c:

Well im assuming that the OP is fairly new if she does not know to salute, so I imagine it would be CADPAT which is even more out of place.

C.G.R said:
Well im assuming that the OP is fairly new if she does not know to salute, so I imagine it would be CADPAT which is even more out of place.

We've had people of higher rank and time in here ask questions on the same level.

Quit speculating.

C.G.R said:

I am not fairly new, soon to be LS, thanks though.

Thanks for the replies,

darkskye

I wore my uniform to my wife's grad. Uniform is appropriate more often than we think. I kept head dress on and saluted anthem. I am also old school and will salute "a woman of acquaintance". 

PAdm said:
I am also old school and will salute "a woman of acquaintance".

I should try this at Jack Astor's in Kingston with the waitresses sometime!  :salute: The talent there is worth a slap in the face haha  ;D

RoyalDrew said:
I should try this at Jack Astor's in Kingston with the waitresses sometime!  :salute: The talent there is worth a slap in the face haha  ;D

Or Moxie's!!

Loved Kingston.  What was this thread about anyway?  I have seemed to have forgotten. My apologies...

PAdm said:
Loved Kingston.  What was this thread about anyway?  I have seemed to have forgotten. My apologies...

Laying your gabardine down over puddles and saluting ladies in the evening...  ???

Back