• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pension Act vs NVA Lifetime Comparison

Brihard said:
The CTV news article is pretty decent over all. While Mike Blais is far from an accurate barometer of the collective views of the veterans community, his POV on this one is more or less in line with a lot of what I'm seeing in the community... However much of that is based, as we've seen here, on an incomplete understanding of the complexity of the issue, and an assumption that 'mandate letter' = 'first budget'.

New advisory committees have been established for mental health, family care, commemoration, and care and support (think more but not entirely geriatrics stuff). This is on top of the established (but now shuffled) committees for policy/legislation, and service delivery. The expansion to six committees from two is seeing the inclusion of reps from groups like the LEgion, the UN Peacekeeprs association, NATO vets association, Aboriginal vets association, etc, on top of what was before largely a group of individual veterans, a couple Equitas members, and a couple of civilians with particular military connections/expertise. Full composition of the committees isn't know yet. Overall I'm cautiously optimistic about how it will go, but time will tell. I do believe that they care what the Veterans community has to say, however as always it will be subject to political exigencies.

Brihard,

During these round tables, what was the consensus of restoring life long pensions to those that have had lump sum payments already?

recceguy said:
Brihard,

During these round tables, what was the consensus of restoring life long pensions to those that have had lump sum payments already?

"How" isn't yet determined, but this would be part of any acceptable plan. Best version I've heard is that the lump sum is simply treated as a credit towards the lifetime pension. Most people I've talked to who received a lump sum would, by now, have received more than that in pension. Another version could essentially amortize the already paid lump sum over "x" number of years, and a monthly pension payment would be reduced by that amount until it balances. But most people like the first one better.

Note that this is speculative on my part. I imagine exactly this issue will attract a fair bit of discussion in the coming year. But it really isn't rocket surgery.

Just a reminder from two liberal media outlets:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/08/23/justin-trudeau-promises-lifetime-pensions-for-injured-veterans.html

Justin Trudeau promises lifetime pensions for injured veterans

Liberal leader’s pledge, if elected on Oct. 19, is part of a comprehensive pitch to woo disgruntled ex-soldiers away from Conservative fold.

By: Murray Brewster The Canadian Press, Published on Sun Aug 23 2015

BELLEVILLE, ONT.—Justin Trudeau’s Liberals are promising to restore a system of lifetime pensions for injured veterans, if elected on Oct. 19.

The pledge is part of a comprehensive pitch to woo disgruntled ex-soldiers, whom the Conservatives have long considered their natural constituency.

Trudeau will deliver the promise Monday at an event in a southern Ontario town that hosts CFB Trenton, the largest and busiest military air base. The proposals give advocates, including the veterans ombudsman, everything they’ve been demanding.

The treatment of ex-soldiers has been a political lightning rod for the Conservatives and the perceived mishandling of the files, along with nasty public exchanges, contributed to the demotion of Julian Fantino out of the veterans portfolio in January.

The switch from lifetime pensions to a series of lump sum payments under the new veterans charter, which was conceived under Paul Martin’s Liberals in 2005, is one of the biggest complaints among wounded soldiers.
It has been at the heart of a class-action lawsuit launched by Afghan veterans, who say the old Pension Act system was more generous to Second World War and Korean War soldiers than to those who served in recent years.
The Liberal platform plank, obtained by The Canadian Press, offers the wounded a choice of either lump sum or pensions-for-life. They promise to reinstate the option during the current fiscal year.

The proposal also offers to pump millions of dollars into further improving compensation and care.

The Liberals say they will invest $25 million to expand access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance, which is given to the most seriously wounded and has been the subject of criticism by the veterans ombudsman, who has said eligibility criteria was too strict.

Guy Parent found, in a 2014 study, that nearly half of the country’s most severely disabled ex-soldiers were not receiving the allowance intended to compensate them for their physical and mental wounds.

The Liberals also promise to invest $40 million to increase the Earnings Loss Benefit to 90 per cent of a soldier’s pre-release salary, and index it to the cost of living. Right now, the benefit is set at 75 per cent — something Parent has also complained about.

There is a pledge to invest $80 million per year to create a new Veterans Education Benefit that provides full support for the cost of up to four years of college, university, or technical education for veterans after completion of service.

Another $100 million per year would go toward expanded support for the families of veterans, including education, counselling, and training for families who are providing care and support for veterans. That might satisfy critics such as Jenny Migneault, who chased Fantino down a hall in Ottawa trying to get him to commit to improving caregiver services.

The Liberals are also promising to reopen nine regional veterans affairs offices closed by the Conservatives and to hire an additional 400 staff to process claims.

The Harper Conservatives have faced unrelenting criticism from the veterans community and responded earlier this year with a series of initiatives, including a family caregiver’s benefit and a one-time $70,000 lump sum payout to injured soldiers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-trudeau-liberal-veterans-pensions-1.3201506

Justin Trudeau promises lifelong pensions for injured veterans

Trudeau to release 'fully costed platform' in coming weeks that will include $300M plan for veterans

CBC News Posted: Aug 24, 2015 11:29 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 24, 2015 7:03 PM ET

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau promised to "reinstate" lifelong pensions for Canada's injured veterans during a campaign announcement in Belleville, Ont. that pledged $300 million annually to expand and create military support programs if elected on Oct. 19.

Trudeau said that after "10 years of neglect" under the Conservative government, he would implement changes immediately, including a new fund to cover post-secondary education costs for veterans, two new veterans' care centres and more support for the families of veterans.

"For 10 years, Stephen Harper has been nickle-and-diming our veterans, lacking the respect and the support that Canadians have earned through service to country and that's something that we have to fix as a priority," Trudeau told supporters in the southern Ontario riding Bay of Quinte, which is home to CFB Trenton.

"This is about doing right by people who have offered everything in service of our country."

Trudeau said a "fully costed platform" would be released in coming weeks to show how the Liberal plan would be funded should he form government.

The plan includes:

$20 million to create two new veterans' care centres.
$100 million annually to expand support for families of veterans, including education and counseling.
$25 million to expand the Permanent Impairment Allowance for the most seriously wounded.
$40 million to increase the Earnings Loss Benefit from 75 per cent to 90 per cent of a soldier's pre-release salary.
Increase the veteran survivor's pension amount to 70 per cent from 50 per cent.
Double funding to the Last Post Fund for the burial of veterans.
Harper defends record

Asked about Trudeau's plan during his own campaign stop in Drummondville, Que., Monday morning, Harper defended the Conservative record with veterans under his leadership. He said his government has increased benefits for veterans by 35 per cent.

"Veterans are big supporters of our party and have been for a long time," he said in French.

"Evidently, it's not a unanimous opinion, but I think veterans understand, really, the support the Conservative government has for them."

Retired air force officer Erin O'Toole took over as minister of Veteran Affairs from Julian Fantino in January amid criticism over the decision to close regional offices and what veterans described as a lack of mental health support. O'Toole has since made several announcements to increase support and benefits for veterans.

Retired general Andrew Leslie, who is running as the Liberal candidate in the Ottawa riding of Orléans, spoke ahead of Trudeau, accusing "Harper's spin machine" of spending "a fortune" to convince Canadians that his government supports veterans when it does not.

"The whole attitude of Mr. Trudeau is, 'Let's fix it,'" Leslie said.

Trudeau also vowed to reopen the nine Veterans Affairs service offices closed under the Conservative government, and further promised to hire 400 new frontline service workers, including Veterans Affairs case managers.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said at a campaign event in Toronto Monday that his party will have its own detailed announcement about veterans during the campaign but also vowed to reopen the nine offices that were closed.

"We think that our veterans deserve to be recognized and respected 365 days a year — not just on November 11th," he said.

Liberal plan considers 'future generations'

Trudeau said that while 158 members of the Canadian Forces died during the mission in Afghanistan, 170 committed suicide since 2004 and that many more suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

He promised to implement all of the Auditor General's recommendations on improving mental health service to veterans.

"Future generations of brave women and men should know that they will be looked after when they finish their service to Canada. There should never be any doubt in their minds," he said.

When asked about how he will convince Canadians he is ready to lead given the "lack of experience" he and some Liberal candidates have on the federal scene, Trudeau said he has demonstrated leadership through his ideas and his team.

He pointed specifically to two candidates at the announcement: Leslie and Harjit Sajjan, a former police officer and lieutenant-colonel running in Vancouver South.

"One of the things I learned from my father is, you gather around you extraordinary people to serve, to bring forward solutions, to be strong voices for their communities in Ottawa," he said.

"And, I have to say, sir, you're a fairly brave man to stand there and question the life experience of folks like Harjit Sajjan and general Andrew Leslie."

Rifleman62 said:
Just a reminder from two liberal media outlets ...
... and the platform itself.

Let's see how many budgets it takes the Liberals, after the Tories didn't change much after ten budgets.

Attachments

• vet-pensions-www-liberal-ca.pdf
    222.2 KB · Views: 126
Well the first reading was yesterday I think so here are the amendments to the Bill in regard to what was annouced in the budget.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8168978

I read somewhere last week (and for the life of me I can't find it again) that the retroactive lump sum payments have to be made up PRIOR to 1 Apr 2017. I'm sure I read that. Did anyone else see that? I am aware that the bump to $360,000 doesn't take effect until FY 17 (i'll probably be dead before I see any retro payments!) but ??

Also, anyone hazard a guess on payments about to be paid out? Would one receive the fraction of the base amount of 310,000 today and a retro payment in a few years?

BinRat55 said:
I read somewhere last week (and for the life of me I can't find it again) that the retroactive lump sum payments have to be made up PRIOR to 1 Apr 2017. I'm sure I read that. Did anyone else see that? I am aware that the bump to $360,000 doesn't take effect until FY 17 (i'll probably be dead before I see any retro payments!) but ??

Also, anyone hazard a guess on payments about to be paid out? Would one receive the fraction of the base amount of 310,000 today and a retro payment in a few years?

Considering much of the legislation hinges on whether one is alive or dead on 1 April 2017, it's safe to say that the retro won't occur until after that date.

It should be business as usual until the coming into force date of the new legislation, at which point retro is sorted out for anyone it applies to.

Ahh yes - the ole "coming into force" date!

Thanks Occam!

Back