• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peoples Attitudes changed when stated I was joining

megsy said:
They're actually accepting people who wear glasses for "moderate vision correction".  I actually booked an eye appointment for the day after I spoke with the recruiter so that I would have an idea of whether I require a "moderate correction" or not.  The optometrist said I would qualify to be a police officer and that my eyes, when working together, are approximately 20/25, which he would "definitely classify as a low correction."  Further searches on this website have identified (a few times) that vision category V2 is what pilots now need to be... and I seem to surpass that category by a wide margin.  My worst eye is about 20/50 or 20/60...

Laser surgery is still unacceptable, based on the lack of long-term studies.  There are also theories that having laser eye surgery could be problematic for the ejection seat since the surgery involves slicing a part of your eye.

I'm so excited now.  I just feel so motivated - and I really feel like I've been dragging a bit since entering the corporate world after graduation.

Yeah that's understandable. It sounds like you've really done your homework and that's a good thing. We certainly need pilots and we need motivated ones too...not just folks training for Air Canada. You must keep us informed how you progress. some others have started a thread like..."Airmich's Story" or "Pea's Story" and we've been able to follow and encourage as they pass their various challenges and courses etc. Once again good luck to you and God bless.  :)

megsy said:
Hey fullmetal parka - I'm going to apply in late 2008 or early 2009.  I haven't completely told my parents yet, although I think my father has probably made an educated guess.  He was enlisted and worked as an aeroengine tech with SAR in Summerside, Trenton and Comox.

My goal is to be a military pilot.  That dream was shattered when I got my first pair of glasses shortly after I turned 16.  I knew I wouldn't be content with anything else, so I ignored other military options, checking out the recruiting page every few months to see if there had been any changes.  I went to university, spent a semester in South Korea where I befriended a Lt-Col (ret'd) from the US Military who brought me out for too many nights of drinking, stories and discussion.  Kept checking the recruiting website.  Returned to Canada, threw myself into accounting, accepted a job in Calgary with a prominent firm, started there last September.  I have 32 months from September 2006 of work I need to do until I can qualify for my CA designation.  I write the "big exam" in September 2008, get results in November 2008 and will be applying the week after.  It's going to be hard explaining the "giving up a good job" thing to my co-workers, especially since everyone is so money driven.

I won't tell my employer until/unless I have an offer... but until then?  I'm going to be in the best shape of my life, I'm going to preserve my vision, I'm going to keep volunteering and I'm going to get ready to have the best pilot application possible.  I don't see a lot of posts from other females with similar goals on this website... I want to make sure I'm the girl at St Jean who can play just as hard as the boys!

I'm actually scared to tell my parents, which is why I'm going to put it off.  My friends are generally supportive - once they get over the initial shock.  Some don't believe me at all, and I've only gotten one negative reaction.  That being said, I've maybe told six people!

That's too bad about your vision. I thought that they're starting to let people with corrected eyesight in?

Good luck with getting your CA! My grandfather got his accounting certification (I don't know if they had CA's back then) and he made loads of money, but wished he could've had a job where he didn't have to sit behind a desk all the time. I suggest telling your parents after you get your degree. They'l lbe much more receptive.

Good luck!  :salute:

My mom had some 1970's idea that only dirtbags and juvenile delinquents joined the army, and certainly not girls.  She was really hostile about it for a long time, but since I have been a reservist for 15 years and financially support my husband and child on it I haven't heard much disrespect from her lately. 

My dad never said a word for or against, but after I showed him my last spectacular PER he actually send me an email saying how proud he was, I almost fell out of my chair and couldn't concentrate on work for the rest of the day.  I guess he was trying to give me heart attack.

My common-law husband had a dad who was a light colonel in WWII and an uncle who was a decorated general, and from what I can determine suffered from untreated post-traumatic stress, which a lot of WWII vets did, and which took the form of drinking.  So even though his dad was once the CO of my unit, every time I even mention thinking about deployment he goes ballistic and starts screaming about cannon-fodder, etc, etc.  And I'm a clerk for God's sake.

However I see a lot more enthusiastic than un-enthusiastic parents at the recruiting centre where I work, the Maritimes are supposed have a stronger tradition of service anyway (partly due to high unemployment, partly to culture).  A very hippy-chick looking mom came in the other day and I expected a blast from her, but she actually proclaimed "Who wouldn't want their son to join the military!" and I was quite surprised.  One of my few negative experiences (besides little kids screaming "War Woman"!)  came from a mom whose daughter had quit BMQ, she called up asking how I could send people to A'stan who had no combat experience (as if I had personally commanded them into battle), and I admit I was bad - I replied that how are they supposed to get combat experience without going into combat? I couldn't help it, it was too obvious, I know we're not supposed to say stuff like that. :-X

Bottom line is, no matter what your parents may think, some of the finest, most well-educated, respectable, good people in this country are in the military and if combat is their issue, assure them that not everybody gets to go on deployment.

PMedMoe said:
Excellent post, Hogie!!

I agree you beat me to it. Your response to that lady reminds me of the time a woman was sitting across from me and I was informing her that her request was unreasonable and that by regulations she and her husband were not entitled. I was as kind and compassionate as can be for the entire interview and then she said "If you don't do something now I'm calling my MP!"I  shut my book and said "All right Ma'am, why don't you just go do that....this interview is over."  I have a similar response to those who say they are going to the media. If I can help I will, if not I try to explain why, if you threaten, abuse or try to manipulate me then I'm wasting my time. If they think the media or the MP can get it done then hey....fill your boots.

Thanks...As for media/MP/ombudsman threats from people who can't understand that they can't get what they want by throwing fits, the rules are the rules and for a reason...I agree totally, I could give really entertaining examples but probably shouldn't.  However to get back on topic, people who are applying should keep in mind two things: if you are underage you need parental consent but if you are legal age you should go ahead and go for what you want, and once you get through the basic training stage and into your career hopefully your family will see that their disapproval was unfounded.

I've seen many a young guy (and quite a few girls) not doing anything with their lives, then decide to take the plunge, and a few years down the road they're driving a new vehicle, new house, new wife, new life, happy as the proverbial pig in poo.  And a lot of guys who got out, couldn't stand civvie life anymore, and re-enlisted happily.  Of course it's not for everyone but my advice is to give it a shot, lots of times girlfriends/boyfriends object and people drop out and ruin everything for someone they won't be with in a year's time.  As for the dumb questions, we've all gotten them, don't be provoked into a rude response, try to make it sly - you know, logical and based on fact even it will be lost on the person.

I think I have bad attitude towards the general public!

Hey, my first post!

Although I'm not in yet, I do have my papers and I'm just waiting until I'm back from a brief vacation to send them in.  I've been tossing the idea around of being in the military ever since I can remember and the past 3 years have been very serious with regards to thought and preparation.  I told my parents I wanted to be a reservist when I was 16 and the reaction was more along the lines of "this is just a fad", however; despite being persistent, it was my mom that gave the final word; "no".  I saw it coming anyway.  Now that I'm 19, the past year has switched from reserve to reg. force.  A decision I've not made without looking into what I would be "getting myself into".  The reaction from my parents was actually much better.  My mom still didn't agree but she finally said "I don't like the idea, but I'm proud of you and I will support you."  My dad supported both the idea and myself.

The reaction from my friends was mixed.  My really good friend of almost 13 years seemed almost indifferent at first but warmed up to the idea.  Another friend of mine decided to grab a set of forms as well for reserves.  I already have a friend in the reserves and his reaction was fairly positive.  It was the reaction of the friend of 13 years that struck me as a surprise.  She went totally ballistic on me, which kind of put me in a bitter mood although I really expected a reaction like this sooner or later.  A mutual friend of ours also had a quite negative reaction.  Lots of yelling ensued.

The problem I had with people is that they mostly associate the CF with Afghanistan and Afghanistan with senseless killing and murder, etc.  Then there's the association of "army = meat heads."  I've gotten tired of correcting these people and I just let them believe what they want to.  The fact of the matter is this country is a great country and will stay a great country because of it's military.  The mentality of there being a war involving Canada and people thinking "well, somebody else will fight it while we enjoy our lives and belittle those fighting" just does not do it for me.  The fact that there are people already fighting and I'm sitting here on my computer waiting to go on vacation still makes me feel a tad guilty.

I may not like these peoples' opinions but I am willing to fight so they at least can have them.  I suppose that is very similar to Voltaire.

Yasa

megsy said:
They're actually accepting people who wear glasses for "moderate vision correction".  I actually booked an eye appointment for the day after I spoke with the recruiter so that I would have an idea of whether I require a "moderate correction" or not.  The optometrist said I would qualify to be a police officer and that my eyes, when working together, are approximately 20/25, which he would "definitely classify as a low correction."  Further searches on this website have identified (a few times) that vision category V2 is what pilots now need to be... and I seem to surpass that category by a wide margin.  My worst eye is about 20/50 or 20/60...

Laser surgery is still unacceptable, based on the lack of long-term studies.  There are also theories that having laser eye surgery could be problematic for the ejection seat since the surgery involves slicing a part of your eye.

I'm so excited now.  I just feel so motivated - and I really feel like I've been dragging a bit since entering the corporate world after graduation.

Hey Megsy,

Good on you for doing this. Here is my two cents on your situation.

1st get your CA designation because you always want a safety net when dealing with joining the CF. I won't lie to you, Pilot is very popular and although we accept V2 standards, most applicants show up with flying experience as well. The vision factor will not be discrimatory so don't worry about that. While you are making some $$$ being an accountant, get some flying time and preferably your Private Pilot Licence (PPL) so when you show up at the CFRC, you have some weight to your application.

Keep the dream alive it's worht it.

Back