• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)

Hi everyone,

I will be going on my POET course at CFB Kingston in the near future and I was wondering what was the procedure to get a PMQ for me and my other half while on that course?
Or is the option of getting an appartment close to base is available?

thx in advance

Accommodations instructions should be on your message. If you are on a restricted posting, then you will be in the shacks while on course. This saves the CF from doing multiple moves of DF&E, the course is only about 6 months long. An average deployment is of the same length. Hopefully this helps, ask your unit orderly room for clarification.

Hey all,

I'm going to be heading to CFSCE Kingston Feb 10 and was wondering if anyone had a clue if or for how long I could be on PAT or when the next courses start. Thanks all.

Hey guys I'm hoping to get my transfer to ATIS Tech by the end of the month and ideally be on POET before the end of the decade.  Though I am finding it very difficult to get any sort of good pre course package of things I should know.  I have the list of some of the things that are taught in POET.  However, what I'm aiming to achieve here is get some body of sources that I could use to best prepare myself for my future trade.  I see a lot of people asking what is the trade like and comparing it to other trades.  But I don't really care about that.  If anyone can help me knowing what my job will entail and things I need to know to be a useful addition to the forces.  Help me NCO Kenobi, you're my only hope.

http://cfsce.kingston.mil.ca/Catalogue/CFSCE%20FY%2011-12%20Course%20Calendar.xls

there's a link to the POET course schedule, there are two that begin in March,  they dont have the new fiscal year schedule up unfortunately, cross your fingers you are on one I guess.  I'm hoping my paperwork goes through and I can get on one as well. However, seeing as the course runs fairly often, I'm assuming that means there are quite a few people in line to be loaded on them.

Did you look at the CFSCE site?  They have some PIPs on there.  Math and electronics.

go to the Kingston .mil site, and look for CFSCE under Lodger Units.  Their site is easy to nav.

Thanks Eye,  I have been on the site.  what are PIPs?  the only info I can really find is the outline as to what you are taught during POET, however in the first PO it states that a lesson is being able to look up the referenced material, publications and materials.  Ideally I would love to get an early start on that particular class so I can learn some of the basics prior to going.  Wikipedia isn't exactly a great source as hardcore engineers took it upon themselves to delve a little too deep for the level I'll need and turned any articles into enigmas for the average joe.

PIP is Programmed Instruction Package.  They might also be called Pre-study packages.

I'm sure the CFSCE site has some for math and electronics, I'll look tomorrow and post the link.

The pub's stuff, I doubt you'll get off the Internet.  :2c:

Everyone I  have been looking for a while now and have found some very good items to aid anyone going into a trade that requires POET.  Here is a link to CFSCE's course catalogue.  If you click the tab named OJT Pkgs, CBTs & ref  it has a good level of work for  a noob to do prior to going into their POET course. Hope this helps any future POETs get some help quickly.

http://cfsce.kingston.mil.ca/Catalogue/courses_e.asp

Thank you Eye in the Sky.  I just finally found it.  For anyone who is looking for it as well I have made  another topic in a more appropriate spot in the forums in hopes of helping people in the future.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104467.0.html

Note that the link above is a DWAN link, and is not accessible from the internet.

DND Dan said:
Everyone I  have been looking for a while now and have found some very good items to aid anyone going into a trade that requires POET.  Here is a link to CFSCE's course catalogue.  If you click the tab named OJT Pkgs, CBTs & ref  it has a good level of work for  a noob to do prior to going into their POET course. Hope this helps any future POETs get some help quickly.

http://cfsce.kingston.mil.ca/Catalogue/courses_e.asp

Looks like you found it.  Thats where the PIPs used to be, figured there'd still be something there.

Just spent a little time going through that link, and there are some pretty epic typos.  Like this beauty:

We appaaaaaalogize for any incovenience, you may contact us if you are concerned about the course catalogue.

I wonder how that one got through spell check lol :facepalm:

Robert0288 said:
Just spent a little time going through that link, and there are some pretty epic typos.  Like this beauty:

I wonder how that one got through spell check lol :facepalm:

You didn't post the sentence which immediately preceded that...the sentence which stated the site was undergoing a major overhaul due to the ACISS process. 

And you then have your answer about how that got through spell check...they're all drinking to ease the pain.  ;D

Hi DND Dan

I actually just registered 5 min ago to help answer your question! I've actually put in for NCM-SEP into ATIS and I find out if i made in a few days, so we might end up working together!

I'm already enrolled in school, BCIT, doing the Electronics Core Common course which covers all the same ground as POET and some of the QL5 stuff to boot (as i understand it, don't take my word as gospel).

I'm only about 7 weeks in but we have covers some of the following basic (as in everyone needs to know this, eg POET) electronics concepts;

(All D/C so far)

Soldering and resister code reading
Ohms Law
Kirchhoff voltage law
Kirchhoff current law
voltage divider
current divider
series circuits
parallel circuits
series-parallel circuits
resistance
voltage
current
conductance
Wheatstone bridges
ladder networks
superposition theorem
Thevenins theorem
Norton's theorem (same thing as Thevenin Voltage (Vth) divded by Thevenin Resistance (Rth) with the Rth now in parallel, doesn't really count!)
power formulas
max power transfer
A whole bunch on capacitors
Magnetism
Electromagnetism
troubleshooting series, parallel and series parallel circuts

Ive no doubt forgotten some stuff already, but if you just learn even one of the above ahead of time you will be doing yourself a huge favor.
Everything here is pretty much interrelated, but if I was in your shoes, id study up on Ohms law, Voltage, Current, Resistance and Kirchhoffs laws.
Just by doing that you are giving yourself a massive head start.

I'm told A/C makes D/C look nice and friendly, and I'm beginning to believe it.
Knowing D/C ahead of time will give you more time to get familial with A/C and get threw it!

As for mathematics you will need, no if and or buts;

very good algebra
understanding slope and positions on a Cartesian grid
firm to excellent understanding of scientific notation (and engineering notation)
understanding of logarithms and log base (ln and e too)
excellent trigonometry skills, if you cant handle sohcoatoa, get started now as it is a must with polar coordinates

Also, start doing logic puzzles, they are a massive help with troubleshooting D/C circuits (maybe A/C too? don't know, not there yet)

Ive set my army.ca account up to send my main email emails if some one PMs me, so if you have any questions, Ill get right back to you!

Hope everything goes well for you, and look forward to seeing you bashing electronics with me down the road!

-Charlie

*edited for spelling

Hey Charlie,

You re in Common Core now? Are you in Burnaby or at the Aerospace campus? Im in the Telecommunications Tech program down the hall. I finished core last year. I am an NCM SEP ATIS TECH. Will be doing my Delta QL3 this fall.

If you re in Burnaby say hi sometime.

Kyle

Hey Andrew here,

I've applied for NCM-SEP for Atis tech as well, first week of march is when I hear back from them seeing if they selected me. I'm anxious to find out. I'll be going to school in Ottawa. If anyone could give me any insight on the trade itself it would only aid in my journey to eventually being in the air force.

thanks.

kdomes said:
Hey Charlie,

You re in Common Core now? Are you in Burnaby or at the Aerospace campus? Im in the Telecommunications Tech program down the hall. I finished core last year. I am an NCM SEP ATIS TECH. Will be doing my Delta QL3 this fall.

If you re in Burnaby say hi sometime.

Kyle

Im downstairs from you as I understand it. Room 113, im the white dude in the front row with the guilty look on his face. One of the instructors mentioned you, He was the Asain fellow that was a former Combat engineer, small world aye?

I'm on PAT waiting for POET right now in Kingston. There are many things here that can be provided to give you a practice to POET, eg: the PAT MCpls and Sgts have copies they can provide you on a scrubbed usb stick.

Cheers

I am reticent about creating new threads, and here goes.

I am heading to Borden on 25 Feb 2013 as a new AVS Tech. I will be waiting there until I can go to POET in Kingston.

My recruiting process was done with CFRC Montreal, with a French profile.

I can see on the <a href="http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/cfsce-eecfc/Catalogue/Schedules-Horaires-eng.asp">CFSCE website's calendar</a> that there are two kinds of POET courses:
  • #ID 112313 which is 111 Training Days
  • #ID 119062 which is 132 Training Days

Does it make a difference for AVS Techs? I'm thinking this is only indicating a new, 21 days longer course, and the only opening I could optimistically have (next fiscal year calendar isn't finalized yet) is the #ID 119062 starting on 6 Mar 2013.

Bonus question: What are my chances to only sit on Borden's PAT for 11/2 week and be sent to Kingston for 6 Mar 2013?

Alternate Bonus question: now, if AVS Techs can be loaded on #ID 119062, and if there are still openings, how long would it take for the Borden PAT to have me sit through a linguistic test attesting that I can work in English so I don't have to wait for a francophone course next fiscal year?

Back