• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PER system works on both performance and potential. A soldier can be an outstanding performer but have very little potential for the next rank, which I assume is the catergory you fall in. I too have 20 years in, am a WO and have sat on  many merit boards, both at the Tp level and Sqn. Many times the tie breaker on 2 soldiers who have rated high in the unit will be courses completed, OPME's etc. I have run into many people like you in the CF, who are wasting all their time and energy worrying about what the other guy is doing (ie completing Middle management course's,taking second language trg, improving their education) instead of taking a good hard look at their own file and seeing what can be done to improve themselves.

Their is nothing wrong with the PER system, it has improved over the years. What hasn't is soldiers like yourself. Enjoy retirement.

MSE
If you felt you deserved better. You should have redressed your PER. What other job do you get off to take your kids to the doctor. Get 8 weeeks off payed (average). Get medical, and dental at a cheap cost for your family? Etc,etc.
Most jobs only giver you 2 weeks off in summer, you cannot just take off, or med care. One of my BoLs got out, and hated it. A week off in the summer, and a week off at christmas. Yes he was payed 35$ an hr, but if you don't work, you don't get payed. One of our Sgts got out to drive truck. Well, he works 7 days a week, 12 h/d, with no real time off. Now he waits to get back in. (AS A CPL)
PBI
The graduated PMQ rate has been dropped. I pay the same as the Cpl next door.

mseoptrucker said:
As you know there are 4 incentives as a Cpl and after that you have no pay increase without a promotion.
Well, there is the annual cost of living increase that comes from the government but that doesn't necessarily cover real cost of living increases.  I wonder if this isn't the primary cause of your bitterness.

In any case, I think it is generally accepted that there are many outstanding performers in the rank of Cpl that may not be suited (or may not want) to work as a leaders.  Why not introduce more incentives?  We have them for captains.

mseoptrucker said:
Why do dental hygenists and band personnel have automatic Sgt rank when their courses are compleat?
Good question.  Maybe it is time to review this practice.

mseoptrucker said:
Telling someone they are lacking, leaves you open to being labled a harasser. a racists or a sexist in many cases.
If the problem was identified on a PDR, then the member should have had chances to improve where they are lacking.  I prefer to be harder on PDRs because they have enough space for me to do so and because they give the member honest feed back on where to improve.  It also means that there should be no surprises for anyone at PDR time.  If something has been described as â Å“weakâ ? in several of the PDRs, then a relatively poor score can be expected on that assessment factor come PER time.  Likewise, if something has consistently been described as excellent, then that score can be expected.  If a soldier strongly disagrees with assessments, they can be disputed locally and before a PER is written.  However, if the assessment if fair, then the supervisor will have at least 3 PDR assessments on the soldier supporting the final assessment put on to the PER, and those three assessments will bear the approval of the assessor's supervisor.  Meaning that harassment labels would have to be thrown at least two levels in the CoC (more when one considers the section 6 review required in a poor PER).

E31 said:
The PER system works on both performance and potential. A soldier can be an outstanding performer but have very little potential for the next rank, which I assume is the category you fall in.
I think this is an important factor that is often overlooked in the writing process.  I've seen units conduct merit boards where members were ranked within their rank and then scores were assigned according to a bell curve (a process we are not supposed to do anymore, but which I suspect lives on anyway).  This process rarely allowed the writer to reflect an excellent performance but weak potential to advance.  Some soldiers deserve outstanding performance assessments without deserving the outstanding potential assessments.  Our PER system is designed to allow for this; it is up to the PER writers to ensure it is used this way.  (Note:  Potential also carries a greater weight toward the score because it is the most relevant to promotion suitability).

pbi said:
There are some problems with our PERs, but IMHO it is not with the system. The CFPAS system, if applied properly and completely  with properly run sub-unit and unit rating boards, is a very good one.
Agreed.

pbi said:
The real problem IMHO is with the people who lack the courage to rate people where they really should be.
I would argue that the real problem is an artificial expectation of improvement.  I've dealt with PER redresses that were solely based on â Å“but I did better on my last PER and some of the areas that I lost points were not mentioned in my PDRs.â ?  I have not seen this type of redress win but it reflects the mentality.  I've also seen this mentality reinforced through the ranking process where efforts have been made to ensure scores do not drop from previous years (another process we are no longer supposed to do, and one that I think we are a little better at than ranking).

pbi said:
Let's face it: the majority of people are average: no more. Average to me means you perform the duties expected of you in a competent manner, meet the standards set, do not screw up such as to harm the mission or the team, and are good to have around. Therefore, most people should be rated right around the middle. As well, we have a small but significant number of people whose performance is mediocre to marginal. They show little or no initiative, do not peform all of their duties adequately, do not meet the standards, and require more supervision than normal. They are not necessarily good team members. These people should  be rated below average, over towards the left side. Probably, they should be put on the RW/C&P/release track if no improvement is seen.
Unfortunately, in my experience, what happens is that within a year of issuing a new PER system, we have begun to debase it by dragging everybody over to the right side of the scale, regardless of what they have actually done or failed to do. "Average" becomes the baseline rating that we give out, no matter how inadequate a person's performance. People who should be rated as "average" or perhaps slightly above, begin to drift to the right. Once that rightward drift starts, it is hard to stop or reverse because that is seen as "harming" the individual, regardless of whether or not the person actually deserves the scores. Aggravating this is a belief (strongest, I am sorry to say, amongst some older WOs...) that a younger person in a rank level "should not" get rated above those with more seniority in rank. This IMHO is unionism plain and simple, and just as in the civvy unionized work world is the weapon of the lazy and complacent against the hardworking and dedicated.
I like that our PER system has specifically stayed away from a performance score of â Å“average,â ? which is relative and can vary based on the average training, experience, and personalities of the assessed rank group within a unit.  However, the threshold of unsatisfactory, capable, etc is more static.

I think it is fair to generalize that a soldier new in a rank will be learning the new responsibilities and likely receive a rating of â Å“Developing,â ? but I agree that this should not be the expected score.  I agree with your assessment that soldiers earning the unaccepted scores should be on the track to RW/C&P/release (or possibly on a track to reversion).  As long as we only promote those personnel that are ready and deserving, I think it is also fair to expect the number of soldiers consistently earning unacceptable scores to be far fewer than those earning above standard scores.  Basically, I think it is fair to assume â Å“developingâ ? should be the baseline score (however, this is still reasonably to the left).

I've been advised by various individuals that PERs should be justified (decide the score you want to give the soldier and align all the dots as far right as possible with that score).  The logic is that is presents a consistent performer to the selection boards & CM.  I find that to be a little bit of BS.  I've produced a few shotgun pattern PERs, but that is because the soldier's performance was all over the place.  Am I doing the guy a disservice?  Not as long as other PER authors are honest with the ones they write.

HONEST  <--  and there is the one word correct answer to fair PERs and a fair PER system.

MDg
The trades that go right to Sgt after their 5s are concidered Professionals. This is to keep them. I have a friend that is a Dental  equipmant tech. He had to complete his 5s before the cash flowed. Also the promotion is very slow.
Yes in the combat arms are slow also. But that is the person. Not because the trade is sooooo small. there is only 16 in the trade. As I am told. 1 MWO, 2 WOs, 5 sgts and 8 or so Cpls. You cannot have all of them MWOs? They are posted across Canada and 1 or 2 on tour.

I feel that mentioning points for improvement on the PER is quite useless.  The PDR covers improvement points. 

Unfortunately as pbi and others have alluded, the PER is not perfect and does need some improvement.  As for writing ability and PER's are concerned, I know some people that have sat on actual merit/promotion/CFR selection, etc boards in Ottawa and they rarely have time to read the entire narrative portion.  If your SLR score combined with the other 40% of points for items such as education, second language etc. is unique or tied with two or three others, the narrative is rarely read. 

I think we do a disservice to subordinates who have aspirations for advancement when we write an 'honest' PER when we know that unit'X' is inflating scores for promotion of certain individuals.

The PER is truly the instrument for promotion, as we don't have exams or other criteria for promotion other than prerequisites.  If you want your subordinate promoted, a firewall PER will do it most of the time.  If you want an excellent soldier to become bitter with the system give him a few of those "I'm building you up year by year" numbers.  Troops love those. ;)

Not as long as other PER authors are honest with the ones they write.

There's the kicker--right there. Honesty by ALL PER writers.

I think we do a disservice to subordinates who have aspirations for advancement when we write an 'honest' PER when we know that unit'X' is inflating scores for promotion of certain individuals.

The PER is truly the instrument for promotion, as we don't have exams or other criteria for promotion other than prerequisites.  If you want your subordinate promoted, a firewall PER will do it most of the time.  If you want an excellent soldier to become bitter with the system give him a few of those "I'm building you up year by year" numbers.  Troops love those.

And here's an example of the effects of that lack of universal honesty: writing an "honest" PER is seen as a disservice to the individual who gets it, because some other bugger with no scruples is writing all his people "hard right" (and believe me we have organizations that are notorious for this practice...). The effect is the insidious and rapid ruination of the value of the rating system. A couple of years ago, our Comd LFWA (then BGen Ivan Fenton, a very fine officer) issued direction to all his subordinate commanders that we were to be honest and accurate in our assessments of people, particularly officers. He stated that we were not helping the Army by letting undeserving people slide through. (I once worked for a commander who seriously believed that everybody should get a good PER: IMHO if everybody is "good" then the term is debased and becomes meaningless. Everybody is not good, and both we and those individuals must realize it.) Have I been guilty of helping out my "dog in the fight"? Yes: sad to say, I have. Mea culpa, but that doesn't fix anything.

I have been on the receiving end of several complaints and grievances because of the PERs I have written, attempting to follow the Gen's guidance in being honest, fair and accurate. This experience has led me to believe that, yet again, lack of moral courage has put our rating system into the ditch. If people are weak: TELL THEM THEY ARE WEAK.  Then tell them what they need to do to get better, and help them to do it. If they pick up: great. If they don't..well--I already gave my course of action for that outcome. Sometimes I almost think we should go back to the days when we had a "ration" of score ratings per battalion, and every score had to be accounted for by the CO on a record sheet. It was an accounting nightmare, but maybe it had some restraining value on our natural inflationary tendencies.

Cheers

pbi

Maybe some of the problem could stem from the fact that promotion or the recommendation thereof comes from some level bloody well next to Her Majesty.  What do you think if a Bde Comd had the authority to promote to Sgt or WO?

Cheers

Dave

DaveK said:
pbi

Maybe some of the problem could stem from the fact that promotion or the recommendation thereof comes from some level bloody well next to Her Majesty. What do you think if a Bde Comd had the authority to promote to Sgt or WO?

Cheers

Dave

In the Army Reserve, the authority does reside with the Bde Comd. This works well: it polices the units (the Bde G1 staff must vet the promotion documentation for correctness and completeness before he Bde Comd signs it off), yet it speeds things up.In a number of cases the Bde Comd may know the indiv in question.

This is a not a system that developed rationally: it is rather a fortunate legacy of the fact that neither the Army Res nor NDHQ ever really wanted Res pers matters to go through NDHQ. The end result has been that the Army Res is able to resolve most of its pers issues within the Army chain of command, while us poor RegF guys are caught in the Purple People Eater. (You're talking to an undying foe of Unification-don't look to me for objective discourse on THAT subject!!!)

Cheers.

Whatever happened to the 6 month Personnel Development Review (PDR) which everyone is suppose to get in order to review their performance and improve in areas that may need improving before the PER is written? Has it gone by the wayside? And if it has, why am I staring at mine right now? (albeit a little late since we've been without a Project Director for the better part of this fiscal year). Aren't you all receiving yours? Now to answer some of those questions myself, I have been in this position for almost 4 years and this is only the 2nd PDR that I have seen/read/discussed/signed. I think if more effort was put into this document and interview, the ability to express less than stellar performance on the PER will be easier and it will also be justified thus stemming the fear of repercussions and/or grievances by those who have been rated low. It's very difficult to accept criticism from someone if they've never told you in the past that you are doing something wrong. I feel that the PDR should be mandatory (although it is suppose to be), even to the point of reprogramming the software to not allow a superior to write a PER on someone if the PDR hasn't been completed and registered...or something along those lines.

Whatever happened to the 6 month Personnel Development Review (PDR) which everyone is suppose to get in order to review their performance and improve in areas that may need improving before the PER is written? Has it gone by the wayside?

I can't speak for other units but I know we adhere to the 2-3 PDRs per year before giving a PER.  Even when we send personnel on task to a training center they arrive back with a PDR, heck I've gotten PDR for soldiers that were on task for less than a week.  So I like to think the rest of the army is pretty much in tune with this...but who knows? 

It's very difficult to accept criticism from someone if they've never told you in the past that you are doing something wrong.

Plus makes it easy for them to redress the PER and get it changed.  Not to mention it's hard to give a soldier a RW or put them on CP if they haven't been informed of their shortcomings and counselled.

Really Mike - you sure...

Please locate mine for the past year  ;D

I've seen them (not mine others) and keep wondering where mine have gone...

Of course I alway found it funny that the sum (PER) did not add up to its parts (PDR's).  Come to think of it I always found it odd that a Cpl in a 2i/c position getting superior PDR's coudl get a lower PER than a non leadership positioned Cpl working in Coy HQ...

mseoptrucker said:
The trouble I have is that I had to go and make my career intentions known. It was suggested to me that my bosses thought I was happy where I was and that the fact that I always worked hard and produced results where ever I was put showed that I didn't want to leave the floor if you will. i find this a cop out .I just believe I was, for want of a better word forgoten .

Directly from the CFPAS Help File:
Member's Responsibilities
To prepare for the discussion with the supervisor, members are asked to think of their strengths and weaknesses. The member also reviews Section 1 of the PDR Form in preparation for discussing the Critical Tasks and whether he/she has successfully met the Expected Results. In addition, the member completes Section 3 of the PDR Form by writing a list of accomplishments, which includes work-related and extracurricular activities the supervisor may or may not have observed. The member also completes Section 4, Member's Career Goals, by listing any career goals he/she has in terms of jobs, postings, courses, or other aspirations the member is striving for.

So for what it's worth at this point, you are now responsible for letting your supervisors know what your career goals are, short and long term, and this includes aspirations for promotion in my book, even if it isn't mentioned specifically.   In spite of this, I never fail to be amazed at the number of subordinates who will arrive at a PDR session with Section 3 and Section 4 either not filled out or done so poorly they shouldn't have bothered.   If they can't be bothered to put any effort into preparing for a critical element of their personal and professional development, it tells me a lot.

One place where you may be able to get a gold mine of information on "how to be promoted" is via the presentation the Career Managers give when they come for a visit.   I'm not sure how it is for other trades but our Career Manager always explains in detail how the points were allocated at the last merit board in Ottawa.   Although each board is different, in my Branch for the last "x" number of years there have always been the same items appearing, so if you pay attention you may find out what you need to do to get ahead of, or at least compete with, your peers.   If the Career Manager doesn't come to visit this year, go to their website, the presenation should be posted there for anyone to view.   Despite having this information, constant prompting during PDR sessions and general "harassment" from me to start implementing their action plan which generally includes the "must have" items from the CMs briefings, there are still those who are gobsmacked that Bloggins got promoted ahead of them even though they know Bloggins was taking night classes, coaching minor hockey and had gone on tour while they had been sitting at home watching Paris Hilton and eating Doritos because they had come up with yet another reason not to deploy, the only reason they send their kid to hockey is to get him out of their hair for a few hours a week and "they don't play that game because what should only count is what they do at work", never mind the skills they gain which are directly transferable to the CF by doing these "non-work" activities.

It's true that many still have difficulty in understanding the importance of the PDR cycle and implementing it, and like others have said, I have had maybe two PDRs since the system was introduced. The problem here is, as pbi pointed out, people writing PERs which are, when viewed critically, dishonest.   By the book, if you fail to follow the PDR cycle you should receive an Unacceptable score in "Evaluating and Developing Subordinates", which should pretty much rule out any thought of promotion for the next three years, yet we see those people being promoted the next year because their superiors overlook that "small" shortcoming as it's only the "PDR", he did get the PERs done on time...mostly".   After being burnt with a redress once, I now enforce the cycle on my subordinate leaders by setting a due date for them to complete the PDRs for their subordinates which, conviniently just before their PDR interview with me.   Fail to complete the cycle, guess what the first lines on "Areas for Development" and "Action Plan" are?   At that point I would have everything I would need to write an "honest" PER although thankfully it hasn't come to that...yet.

Finally, the best advice I ever received from my first Shift IC was "You're your own Career Manager, if you don't make things happen for yourself, no-one else will." and this has served me well throughout my career.

Edited to fix errors introduced by the Spell Checker...go figure.

KevinB said:
Really Mike - you sure...

Please locate mine for the past year ;D

I've seen them (not mine others) and keep wondering where mine have gone...

Of course I for got to mention there are always people that get missed for one reason or another Kev, really no excuse though for missing soldiers especially in the Bn.  Usually it's indicitive of a lack of organization in the sub-unit I think...where in the Bn did you come from again???  ;D  Since I've started writing PDR/PERs, we've religiously ensured that everyone in the Pl/Coy got one, to the point where I have written up soldiers that I've had for only a week or two. 

Mike,  True...
Thought I did not get a PER one year while in Mortars - none of the CPL's did...

Ok everyone, I guess the best way to sum this up is easy, the CFPAS system can tend to be very ineffective when it comes to evaluations at my rank level, I have spent almost 5 years as a Pte, and it kinda ticks one off...the PDR process is useless to be perfectly honest, other than laying out what is "expected" of a person.  You live up to those goals, and nothing happens, well, let's see, I have a very clean record, and have been promised many things, but in accordance with the Canadian Forces Personnel Assaulting System, I am not meeting my "expected" range of performance.  Plain and simple, the program is still at the hands of a supervisor, and if you tick said supervisor off, well, you do the math...and as far as Career Goals go, I have been working my hands to the bone for the last five years, and am nowhere but a dusty circle that I managed to carve up.  I am not sure as to the opinion of others in my rank level, but I would assume that they are in the same boat.  And for any supervisors out there, please don't tell you ppl something that you have no plans of doing!

I dunno, there is my beef!

PteG82 said:
Ok everyone, I guess the best way to sum this up is easy, the CFPAS system can tend to be very ineffective when it comes to evaluations at my rank level, I have spent almost 5 years as a Pte, and it kinda ticks one off...the PDR process is useless to be perfectly honest, other than laying out what is "expected" of a person.   You live up to those goals, and nothing happens, well, let's see, I have a very clean record, and have been promised many things, but in accordance with the Canadian Forces Personnel Assaulting System, I am not meeting my "expected" range of performance.   Plain and simple, the program is still at the hands of a supervisor, and if you tick said supervisor off, well, you do the math...and as far as Career Goals go, I have been working my hands to the bone for the last five years, and am nowhere but a dusty circle that I managed to carve up.   I am not sure as to the opinion of others in my rank level, but I would assume that they are in the same boat.   And for any supervisors out there, please don't tell you ppl something that you have no plans of doing!

I dunno, there is my beef!

I find it hard to understand why you are still a Pte after 5 years?  Most Reg F trades that I know of, the soldier/airman/sailer is automatically promoted to Cpl after 48 months.  Why am I asking this?

Well, as a Cpl you start getting a real PER vice an annual PDR.  I think the system we have, although not perfect, is pretty good.  As a Pte you are considered an apprentice and shouldn't expect to be given leadership tasks; however, as a Cpl you are becoming a journeyman and now the choice is yours - perform and demonstrate leadership = promotion or do the minimum = stay as a Cpl.

Pretty simple.

S6

Oh, I can make it easy to understand how I am a Pte after 5 years, it's called having a supervisor that is too busy looking out for their next promotion.  I have had many an occasion on PDR interviews in which I have stated my wishes to be promoted, and my wishes to take Career Courses that will lead to my promotion, and on top of that, I work in a Local Cadet Unit religiously, every Monday and Friday, I take part in what little leadership is put in my path and do everything in my power to assist in house with training, as well as having completed all of my OPME's and also attempting to finish my BBA through Distance Education.  It isn't that I haven't been trying, no one's been listening.  And for any RMS Clk's out there, you know what this means, I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY 5's YET!!!  I have asked time and time again, and the answer is always the same, "wait it out, its coming".  I have heard that for the past two and a half years, it's getting annoying.  Anyway, to top that off, the last boss I had let me know that she felt I had excellent potential, and that she would make sure I would be a MCpl by 9 years in, well, for starters, i'm not that gullable, but even at that, it would be an awful pinch on time, seeing as how I only have four frieking years left before then.

My boss doesn't use the CFPAS system properly, and I have done my part in and out of house to ensure that I get promoted, but it doesn't seem to be working, I have had many people ask me when I am getting promoted, and also telling me that I shouldn't be this angy and bitter at my rank level, and it's all too true, but what am I supposed to do, I am the lowest man on the totem pole, and not moving any faster.  Perhaps this is the time for release???

PteG82,

I've been in the Reg F for 19 yrs and your story doesn't add up?  ???  After 48 months you are to be promoted automatically to Cpl.

Are you on a medical category?  If so, that could prevent your promotion to Cpl, but even then there is ways around that through the Career Manager.

Hmmmm.  Trying to help you out....

S6

Sapper6,

I know the story sound real nice and fun, but that is the farthest thing from the truth, despite your 19 years, my five as an RMS Clk have taught me one important lesson, this so called "automatic" promotion, isn't automatic, it has to be started by your supervisor, and recorded on a CF743A, and forwarded through the chain of command for approval, trust me, it is NOT automatic!

I am not on a medical category, and I have recently (Nov 04) passed my CF Expres, this is not a medical thing, or a fitness issue, it is a fight that I have been fighting for the last well, almost five years, (Enrolled May 1st 00), trust me I wish I could say it was medical, but it isn't so.  Either way, I do believe the tree is finally starting to shake at work, but that isn't the point, it's the principle of it all, why did I have to wait this long before something happened, and why do I not have my QL5's yet, these are the questions I have brought to my supervisors to get no satisfactory answer.

My father has 37 years experience in the military, and he had no problem at all moving up the ranks, he's obviously retired now, but still, he has helped me to better understand my situation, a rather disturbing one at that, and many people have had the time to look at the situation, but as soon as they found out who the supervisor was, they all screwed off in the opposite direction.  I am not about to sit around and get walked on for the rest of my career.

Either way, it won't help me to rant on here, I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth into the forum about CFPAS, I don't find it helpful at all at this point in my career, hopefully that opinion improves.

As far as my CM goes, if I was to be brazen enough to contact my CM, i'd be hung and shot, no questions asked, ppl don't ask questions in my Chain of Command, although this APS may change that.

Thanks

PteG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back