• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
211RadOp said:
No you can not request a promotion.  Your Chain of Command has to recommend it.

Actually, in the Navy, you do request promotion to AB and LS.  Just one of those little quirks that's been carried over from the old RCN.  The Chain of Command still has to approve it.  If you don't request it, a request form will be placed in front of you to fill out and sign, so it happnes anyway.

:goodpost:

Just like when "Commissioned Officers" had to submit a "letter of request" to their CO to get married.........

DAA said:
Just like when "Commissioned Officers" had to submit a "letter of request" to their CO to get married.........

I did that!  A good chuckle was had by all.  I also hoisted a garland to the masthead of my ship on the day of my wedding.

:sarcasm:
Why does none of this suprise me about the Navy?

In the Army, we know our troops and promote their welfare.

We don't wait for them to ask to be promoted. We just do it when they're ready.

I guess between wasting time on 'buttons and bows' the Navy still has more than enough time for useless paperwork and antiquated ideas.

You'd think they'd be trying to figure out how to stop hitting jetties and grounding submarines instead!  ;D

recceguy said:

Not to step into your army-navy thing with Pusser, but that's not always true either...  when I was a Pte clerk in an infantry regiment, fully qualified to Cpl and with more than enough TIR, no promotion appeared for several months... meanwhile my infanteer buddies with the same TIR & quals were getting promoted with much fanfare on the armoury floor.  Finally I asked my CoC about it, and the reaction was like "oh - that's right, we hadn't thought about the clerks."  My promotion finally did come a few weeks later, with no back-dating, & was handed to me in the OR by the DCO with two other clerks in attendance, long after the rest of the regt had left for the day.

This was over 20 years ago; hopefully things aren't done that way anymore.  I never forgot it, though, and not in a good way.  On the bright side, as a good lesson in what not to do, hopefully some of my own troops benefited from it over the years.

bridges said:
Not to step into your army-navy thing with Pusser, but that's not always true either...  when I was a Pte clerk in an infantry regiment, fully qualified to Cpl and with more than enough TIR, no promotion appeared for several months... meanwhile my infanteer buddies with the same TIR & quals were getting promoted with much fanfare on the armoury floor.  Finally I asked my CoC about it, and the reaction was like "oh - that's right, we hadn't thought about the clerks."  My promotion finally did come a few weeks later, with no back-dating, & was handed to me in the OR by the DCO with two other clerks in attendance, long after the rest of the regt had left for the day.

This was over 20 years ago; hopefully things aren't done that way anymore.  I never forgot it, though, and not in a good way.  On the bright side, as a good lesson in what not to do, hopefully some of my own troops benefited from it over the years.

Guess we have to make these  :sarcasm: bigger so you won't miss them next time ;)

recceguy said:
Guess we have to make these  :sarcasm: bigger so you won't miss them next time ;)

No, I saw them.  But what is this site for, if not venting? 

Edited to add this, just in case:

I suspect it still happens that people are not promoted when they could be, simply because someone else doesn't think of it.  *Maybe* even in the army.  ;)

recceguy said:
Why does none of this suprise me about the Navy?

I guess between wasting time on 'buttons and bows' the Navy still has more than enough time for useless paperwork and antiquated ideas.

You'd think they'd be trying to figure out how to stop hitting jetties and grounding submarines instead!  ;D

I guess you missed the part where I said it happens anyway, even if the member neglects to "request" it.  How can we do that if we don't "know our sailors and promote their welfare." 

However, i can't say that I'm surprised at your reaction.  I gather the Army has no antiquated traditions or useless paperwork - it being the pinnacle of modern efficiency and logic that we all aspire to emulate. :sarcasm:

To be brutally honest, the most egregious examples of not knowing their troops and notpromoting their welfare, that I have ever seen in 30 years in the CF, have been comitted by army officers and NCOs.  This is not to say the Navy doesn't have it's issues in this area, but I saw what I saw.

I hope that everyone now has firmly established the lengths of their penis's and we can move on here............

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I hope that everyone now has firmly established the lengths of their penis's and we can move on here............

No problem. I'm very secure in my manhood anyway and some people just aren't worth the effort to put fingers to keyboards.

So I'm good.

Since the government seems to own the ability to do it, I wonder what it would take to incorporate this into our appraisal process:  http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/360/fdbk-retro-eng.htm

Even if we only did it for MWO, CWO and Major +.

I think students of the JCSP program can use this while in Toronto; I think it is a great tool if incorporated properly.  If you search through staff college papers, incorporating such systems is a pretty popular topic - it would sure be useful in looking for toxic leadership.

Would anyone know if it is allow to enter statement that indicates that member was dealing with medical issues during the reporting period?
Something to the tune of: though the member was dealing with medical issues he ..... .
I thought it was not allowed.
Any light on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Sounds like the rest of that sentence is a good thing? It shouldn't be specifying the medical issue, or docking you PER points because you blew your knee out, etc.

it really depends on the context.  if it is being held against you, I would be inclined to say no.  if it was being used to segue into a positive statement, then maybe.  if you were my top performer last yr but had some med issues this yr that kept you from being your normal Exempt, parade commanding, kicking ass self, I would be tempted to say "though the mbr was dealing with some med issues, he continued to stand out as the true leader and mentor of this unit...."  I would use the ref to the med issue as a mitigating factor to hint as to why you could not excel in all areas but you remained a star nonetheless. 

So context is key. 

According to the CFPAS Help File art 117 para 1.a.

compassionate, administrative, medical and/or disciplinary problems are to be commented on when they result in restricted employment and/or affect the individual's performance, deportment, behaviour and/or bearing;

Also, everywhere I have been, using words like despite, though, regarless, etc, have been scratched out by the CoC (and myself consequently).

Hey, I recently reformatted my computer and forgot to backup my copy of CFPAS. I was wondering if anyone has a copy that they could email to me or if someone could PM a password so I may download it from the website.

Thanks!

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cfpas-sepfc/en/index.asp

E-mail the admins with your particulars and they will provide you with an access code.

topo4u20 said:
Does anyone know how to fix that annoying issue with CFPAS when you are filling in the text say section 5a on a PDR and if you go on to a line already typed and hit space bar it overwrites that line? Not sure if anyone has had  this problem but I do remember a while ago and cant for the life of me remember what to do. My only other way is to type text out on word and paste it.
Thanks

Save yourself a lot of work, start using the PDR form within Monitor MASS, it automatically populates the form with Unit and Personal activities which are flagged show in the PDR and we will also add all your CFTPO tastings, MITE and HRMS 8.9 courses, eThar, currencies, Competencies , FMS drivers Quals, etc for the reporting period. Give it a try

You're replying to a post from almost 3 years. We get it, monitor mass does PDRs now. 6 more necroposts won't help, especially since you've already made a topic for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back