• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheep Dog AT said:
Where I am only the RSM can charge someone (mind you I'm sure the CO could as well).

You've got it backwards. Only the CO is authorized to lay a charge; however, he can delegate that authority (and he usually does).

Lumber has the right of it. At the risk of a tangent, QR&O 107.02 lays out Authority to Lay Charges. Specifically, the following people can lay a charge:

a.  a Commanding Officer (CO)

b.  an officer or NCM authorized by a Commanding Officer to lay charges

c.  a member of the Military Police assigned to investigative duties with the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service.

The authority for those in a unit other than the CO, therefore, comes from the CO. Commanding Officers will rarely, however, actually lay a charge as they could likely be the Presiding Officer for the trial. COs will appoint in writing who has the authority to lay a charge. I have seen some give the authority widely while others hold it more tightly. A unit would typically assign the RSM, DCO equivalent, DSM/TQSM equivalent, sub-unit OCs and CSMs/SSMs at a minimum. In a big unit or training institution I would expect to see the list get longer (Captains, WOs and Sgts depending). Ultimately, the CO will decide based on the expert advice of his RSM and other members of the " short hallway."

As an OC or Regimental 2IC I generally stayed clear of the charging process. My SSM would conduct the investigation and consult if required with the JAG - he would keep me in the loop in that I knew that an investigation was ongoing but I would be kept in the dark regarding the details. This would allow me to the hear the trial without predjudice. 

Bottom line, your unit should publish a letter signed by the CO designating who can lay charges and everyone should know. A good place for this is Routine Orders.

Cheers,

Eye In The Sky said:
Rare would it be where a Snr NCO can lay charges.  They may recommend them.

Same goes for RMs.  Usually, the ability to recommend is there, but the CO would normally be the signature (or the officers he/she delegates this down to;  Adjt, Coy Commanders, what have you0.

Just some perspective on the abilities, and limitations, of Snr NCOs.  ;D

How did this end up in the thread anyhow, EITS?

Lumber said:
How did this end up in the thread anyhow, EITS?

Just for clarity, as the wordings in the wording of the some of the posters might lead people to believe NCOs lay charges or are Initiating Authorities for RMs.

Anyone have the password for the CFPAS they can PM me?  I just need to touch up a few PERs and loathe going to work on my leave.

MJP said:
Anyone have the password for the CFPAS they can PM me?  I just need to touch up a few PERs and loathe going to work on my leave.

PM sent.

MJP said:

I do not go into work, or work, on leave.  Makes it so easy!!  ;D 

Eye In The Sky said:

Eye In The Sky, don't ever think about transferring over to the Reserves for a Class B contract then.  Working while on leave, is an occupational hazard.    ;)

Eye In The Sky said:

Meh, considering this is for my troops and in this particular case I am the reason the work has to be done I don't mind.  There are hills I die on; this isn't one of them.

DAA said:
Eye In The Sky, don't ever think about transferring over to the Reserves for a Class B contract then.  Working while on leave, is an occupational hazard.    ;)

I used to do the Cl B (A) gig, and didn't go to work when I was on leave then either.  My leave is my leave.  :nod:

Hey would anyone mind please PMing me the password for CFPAS? I've got some corrections to make and I can't make it into the office. Any help would be much appreciated.

Has anyone here opted out of the PER process?

I'm looking for the downside but having trouble seeing one.  I won't be promoted regardless.  My trade is yellow and my CM assures me that it would not prevent me from receiving a new TOS that will take me to 35 yrs.  (If I should choose to stick it out to the bitter end.)

Am I missing something?

Thanks all!

Thats the whole point. If you don't want to be promoted, you opt out, and your only career implication is you're not getting promoted. You can still get posted, go on tour, but no promotion until you opt in. Only thing is, you start from scratch once you opt back in, so if you typically need 3x High Ready PERs to get promoted, you'll be waiting for those 3 PERs, they won't use your old ones.

Thank you.

Seems like the perfect way to avoid an unproductive and angst-ridden ordeal.

Cheers!

Having CFR'd from CWO to Captain, I, too am considering opting out.  I am no longer in anyone's succession plan so opting out means that the remaining younger and succession planned captains in my unit can be ranked/merited without my influence on the numbers or standing.

Haggis said:
Having CFR'd from CWO to Captain, I, too am considering opting out.  I am no longer in anyone's succession plan so opting out means that the remaining younger and succession planned captains in my unit can be ranked/merited without my influence on the numbers or standing.

But you have to remember that in the PRes, a Succession Plan is only good for the day it was drafted, and sometimes trash once it is published.  Reservists are highly mobile after they graduate from university, as most PRes Junior Officers are, and tend to leave for full-time employment far from the unit's location.  The number of people who can really be counted as "long-term prospects to become CO" may be a very short list.

George Wallace said:
But you have to remember that in the PRes, a Succession Plan is only good for the day it was drafted, and sometimes trash once it is published.  Reservists are highly mobile after they graduate from university, as most PRes Junior Officers are, and tend to leave for full-time employment far from the unit's location.  The number of people who can really be counted as "long-term prospects to become CO" may be a very short list.

Understood completely, George.  But, even if the whole Officer's Mess were to be taken out by a meteor, I'm not getting promoted or course loaded again in this lifetime.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'll age out before I am a serious contender for XO. The only fly in the ointment is that the other two Lt(N)s in the unit don't want the job and are openly voicing that sentiment.

I still haven't decided if opting out is the right thing to do.

I opted out 2 years ago. A 3B release was inevitable and therefore promotion was impossible. You still receive PDRs and a PERX, but as stated prior, a little more "room" was made for those behind me on the merit list. It doesn't have to be a permanent thing - yes, opting back in is possible if circumstances change but we all know that there are times when we are sure they won't!

And you don't have to opt out every year. The first memo stays on your file until you recind it. Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back