• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
GodinDDMG said:
could someone send email me or pm me a password for the cfpas dl plz i forgot i dont have it already installed on this comp at home. 

Thanks in advance

PM sent with password.

Cheers!

i could also use the password, it was on my computer and it wont reinstall now and i have a PDR due on monday. thanks

A word of caution about opting-out; phrase your reasoning carefully or it can be used in a manner that you do not expect.

I attributed my wish to opt-out to my impending retirement.  No specific timeframe was provided.  I have almost 31 years in and I didn't want the unnecessary fuss of PERs for the last 2-4 years.  My Career Manager has chosen to interpret this as a risk that I could submit a 30 day release at any time and has formally amended my posting dates accordingly to mitigate this risk.  While this isn't the end of the world, it is annoying and inconvenient.  And almost ironically, it likely moves my earliest possible release date a year closer as I had no intention of releasing from this position.

Cheers!

Re-digging this post up. I have one in trade PER, followed by two PER Exemptions for 2 years in a row do to trades training. I had PER's from my previous trade 3 years ago, and am unsure if they would be used in this circumstance do to the timeframe.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I asked a similar question a few years ago.  I was told they Board will only look at the last 3 PERs or combo of PERs/PERXs.  If you have 1 PERX and 2 PERs, the PERX is removed and they average the 2 PERs.  My former trade PERs were not used in my case.

You had a PER in your current trade, then 2 PERXs while on trg?  I've seen instances where units made decisions about getting a PER/PERX contrary to the CFPAS policy and people not merit when they should have because of this.  :2c:

Is not a PERX the members choice, and one that a member need not accept if they don't wish?  Unless a course completely covers a reporting period, does not a PER need to be completed? ???

Not necessarily the mbr's choice, but in some cases their benefit.  Example, if you OTd recently with a Ready or Immediate prior to your OT, the PERX would be to the mbr's benefit over a Developing.

There are provisions in the CFPAS policy for when a PERX shall be given, but there are instances where the spirit/intent/written policy in CFPAS is replaced with units/other people's opinions about if you get a PER while doing MOC trg beyond initial occ trg. 

Eye In The Sky said:
...there are instances where the spirit/intent/written policy in CFPAS is replaced with units/other people's opinions about if you get a PER while doing MOC trg beyond initial occ trg.

This is a major issue.  Lack of units' discipline in actually following the policy.  :nod:

PM sent with password.

Happy to provide the password to anyone who needs it.

Cheers!

What are your experiences with assessing reserve corporal, which are in reserve assigned position, but working alongside RegF counterparts?

While I am a reserve chauvinist, there is a definite technical gap in our trade between the PRes and RegF members. Where I am right now the PRes are being assessed based on the same criteria as all the other corporals, with predictable results.

I am a little dismayed at the results. I just don't think it's fair to set the same benchmark for everyone. For the record I am in a RegF slot in another rank, so this doesn't affect me.

My experience was that Reservists were ranked against their peers in their Reserve unit, not against a Reg Force establishment.  If they were on a Class B with the Reg Force, then that would be taken into consideration at their Reserve unit and a check in the box/'Brownie Points' for their external to unit training/experience, as would a Class B or Class C deployment.  For the most part, other than a PER on Tour, the PER is written by the parent Reserve unit, not a Reg Force unit.  That is not to say that a Reg Force unit employing Reservists should not be writing PDRs on the pers they employ, just because they may be Reservists.  Those PDRs would be sent to the Reserve unit for their records/info and writing of their PER on the individual.

[Edit to add:  I am thinking of the short term Class B cases of 180 days to 360.]

I have always seen PERs written by the employing unit for PRL reservists.

The ranking box in the left margin is for ranking within occupation, and reservists are different occupations so always ranked separate from Reg F in this location.  However ranking in the narrative of the additional review is supposed to be at the assessed rank across all occupations ... but I have seen this section written to constrain the ranking within component (where it looked better to the benefit of the assessed member). 

All that being said, I think the question was intended to ask about scoring as opposed to ranking.  Performance is scored against the job, so if a reservist is not achieving the job requirements then performance would be scored low.  Potential scoring might be a little difficult.  It could be some traits are more important in a PRes MCpl than in a Reg F MCpl (and vice versa), and it would not be wrong to consider this when scoring.

Friends/Strangers,

Quick question relating to PERs while on tour longer than 180 days.  I've heard from some that while on tour for more than 180 days you receive a tour "PER" vice a tour "PDR".  Contrary to most things I can read in the unclass regs this makes sense to me, as it seems obvious to judge someones actions where they spend a majority of their career during the year.

Is there any merit to this?  Specifically a QR&O on that matter?

Keep in mind I've:

a) Searched the forums (there should be a custom string search, not a find every "per" in any work like "perfect".)

b) Have little to no access to the low-side due to said tour.

c) Have little faith in rumors and I'm looking for total truth in the matter.  My chain said they'd be pumped to write me a PER vs a PDR (because I kick ass, obviously) but I want to know if anyone can allude to whether or not a PER fits this case.  I am going to get time on a low-side in the future but don't want to waste anyone's time if it's not at all true.

V/R,

7895123 said:
Friends/Strangers,
Quick question relating to PERs while on tour longer than 180 days.  I've heard from some that while on tour for more than 180 days you receive a tour "PER" vice a tour "PDR".  Contrary to most things I can read in the unclass regs this makes sense to me, as it seems obvious to judge someones actions where they spend a majority of their career during the year.
Is there any merit to this?  Specifically a QR&O on that matter?
Keep in mind I've:
  a) Searched the forums (there should be a custom string search, not a find every "per" in any work like "perfect".)

b) Have little to no access to the low-side due to said tour.

c) Have little faith in rumors and I'm looking for total truth in the matter.  My chain said they'd be pumped to write me a PER vs a PDR (because I kick ***, obviously) but I want to know if anyone can allude to whether or not a PER fits this case.  I am going to get time on a low-side in the future but don't want to waste anyone's time if it's not at all true.
V/R,

Have you downloaded the CFPAS PER program to see just what it says within the "Help File"?  I'm sure that will answer all your questions and then some.  Need the PW, send me a PM.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cfpas-sepfc/en/index.asp

CJOC also has an Admin Instruction that gives additional direction on Theatre PERs.  Example, OP IMPACT; 90+ days requires a Theatre PER, 89 days or less and its a PDR.  The PDR from theatre then should be incorporated into your PER for that reporting year/FY. 

I can't remember the exact CJOC ref name, but if I think of it can post the DWAN link next week when I am back at the Happy House.

DAA said:
Have you downloaded the CFPAS PER program to see just what it says within the "Help File"?  I'm sure that will answer all your questions and then some.  Need the PW, send me a PM.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cfpas-sepfc/en/index.asp

That's a great idea!  I should have thought of that...  Thanks a lot!  And please could you PM me the password?  I imagine it's a Google away but my time online is limited for obvious reasons.

Eye In The Sky said:
CJOC also has an Admin Instruction that gives additional direction on Theatre PERs.  Example, OP IMPACT; 90+ days requires a Theatre PER, 89 days or less and its a PDR.  The PDR from theatre then should be incorporated into your PER for that reporting year/FY. 

I can't remember the exact CJOC ref name, but if I think of it can post the DWAN link next week when I am back at the Happy House.

And thank you!  That is exactly what I needed to know!  Also 90+!  I didn't realize that either.  There may be a lot more PER's going around than we all initially thought.  I do appreciate the offer on the link but I think that about answers my question, if I can get into CFPAS and find the basics, and get the CJOC info form the LOG here I should be set!

Thanks both!

I'm just putting this out there on not what to say on a PDR! A colleague of mine received a PDR that made reference to her new diagnosis of a learning disability as four separate "areas of development" points. When the officer (the one who wrote the PDR)was asked about it during the interview - the response was "no biggie - its only a one man thought process about you, if you grievance it, it only shows the lack of leadership that you are unable to take constructive criticism".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back