• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pet Peeves

Allan Luomala said:
2. People who mispronounce simple words like "across" as "acrost".

You hit a raw nerve there..............

1. "furmiliar"......................................... (your face looks furmiliar)

2. "aks"................................................ (I had to aks for directions)

3.  "Yooz" .............................................(all of yooz people can get back to work)

The list goes on and on.......

I experienced this one yesterday...

-People who have Handicapped placards hanging from their rear view mirror...but park in the only available non-handicapped space...when the handicapped space was empty.

-People who feed their kids nothing but candy and insist that their child is ADHD, when a simple case of diet regulation will eliminate oodles of symptoms.

-Country drivers that don't know the rules of the road...and think that a four way stop just means "Stop then Go" regardless of who has the right of way.

-Likewise, people who don't know that at an intersection the person going straight has the right of way over someone from the opposite direction turning left across traffic...I try to let the people going straight have their right of way, but they sit there waiting for me to turn left...but if they spontaneously drove into me, it would be my fault.

-As for the people who try to mod their cars with crappy-tire parts...why buy a muffler that makes that sound when a screwdriver or awl will achieve the same effect...for a fraction of the cost...(I know...there is supposed to be performance increases...but not if they are crappy-tire parts...C'mon)

-People (such as relatives) that chat with you via MSN and take forever to type...you can just envision them on the other end: look up at the screen...squint...look down...type a letter...look up at the screen...squint...

That is enough for now...you folks have pretty much run the gambit for my peeves so far.

- People who in the midst of a good thread debate feel the need to jump in and correct everyones grammar and spelling.

- People who buy jeans brand new that have holes in them and look they were found in the bottom of a dumpster.

- Celebritys who are filthy rich but feel the need to dress like a bum

- People who think how much money and how much stuff one has is the most important thing in the world.

- people who cheat on their Boyfriend/girlfrind/Husband/Wife

- People with Jesus Loves you and Jesus is Coming stickers all over the back of their 1989 dodge caravan rust buckets.

- people who speed in bad weather.

- people who dont shut their high beams off when another vehicle is approching. or they turn them on behind you and you cant see a damn thing anymore.

- People who bully others. there is nothing wrong with alittle messin around or whatever but when you are actually hurthing that person and making them hate coming to school, work whatever then thats just not acceptable and I don't put up with it. the people who stand by and do nothing about it bug me just as much if not more.

- sweeping the bty lines

- squeegeeing the bty lines

- sweeping the bty lines

- sweeping the bty lines

- sweeping the bty lines

- squeegeeing the bty lines...

-people who use snowblowers, on their own driveway, who wont help the elderly man down the road shoevelling, this has always been a pet peeve of mine :rage:

Pet peeves?  Hmmm, how about:

Cell phones, and the folks who don't understand that having them turned on while driving is dangerous, and that having them ring/buzz/play tunes/wtf, etc.,  in meetings, theatres, lectures, etc., is just plain rude.

I have others, but that is a big one.

-rich celebrities who get things, especially expensive things for free just because they are famous while the rest of us have to honestly work

--people who talk so loudly on the bus that everyone knows about their latest trip to the doctor regarding their STD

-high school football players who walk around the weight room at school when everyone is trying to workout, and talk about how they can do so much and then can't do half the weight

I just remembered one more pet peeve:
-Roommates on course who have a problem with me if I turn our room into a kit explosion 2 minutes after moving in.
Bart

brin11 said:
Speaking of funny names:  Bob Loblaw...now, that's hilarious.

Wow....there's a flashback....I'm sure there is more than one Bob Loblaw in the army....but nothing brightened my day up more than to hear a platoon of soldiers say bobloblawbobloblawbobloblawbobloblawbobloblaw in unision

(Wandering offtopic, pehaps this will need to be split off)

id put 426 Hemi cuda up against a Honda civic anyday. Hell Id put just about any 60's, 70's muscle up agaisnt those anyday. but the 426 is probably the pinacle.

either way at least with a Cuda, Duster, Charger etc you can do it in style and hairstanding rumble, the Pea shooter civics on the other hand make people cringe everytime they go by cause they have to cover their ears from the horrible noise and plus eveyone has one not that everyone has one that is actually fast and can actually perfom but everyone who slaps a spoiler on the back of a Civic thinks they do, you can tell by the Holly Carbs and Edelbrock stickers they got on it lol.

At the National Championship a couple of years ago, a TV show called "Sports Car Revolution" ran an absolutely pristine SuperBird Hemi (the Daytona version with the big ass rear wing) on our championship course, against a brand new minivan - it was either a Caravan or an Odyssey.

The minivan CRUSHED it. I'm not talking a near miss here, I mean it CRUSHED it. SECONDS faster.

The simple fact of the matter is that modern car technology is so far in advance of the 60s-70s musclecars that it's not even funny - especially in terms of handling. That poor old SuperBird looked like a bus the way it wallowed around, and it had monster understeer, horrendous brakes, and didn't put power down very well either. It looked cooler, and made a cooler noise, but if you wanted to win a race, you'd be way better off in the minivan.

And for the record, I cut my chops on musclecars. I owned two Chevelles and a pair of late 70's Firebirds/Trans Ams before I wound up in the imports. My Talon, back when it was stock, was faster than all of them when they were stock (mid 14s off the factory floor, compared to low 15s for the musclecars) and handled way better than all of them. Once modified for racing, the Talon was the equal of Porsche 911s and Corvette Z06s.

During my racing career, I got the opportunity to drive a lot of different race cars. About two dozen different Vipers, some Prowlers, Mustangs, Camaros, boatloads of Corvettes, some Porsches, Mitsu EVOs, Subaru WRX STis, Neons, Civics... No Ferraris, although I raced against one once. And let me tell you, a properly set up Civic handles really snappily, and while it's not the torque monster that say a Viper is, they're still pretty quick and a blast to drive.

Now that's not to say that there aren't idiots out there... but that's nothing new either. I know when I was a kid, I couldn't wait to slap those chrome valve covers and open-element air filter on the ol' Chevelle... and the noise the Green Beast made was *legendary* (thanks to a pair of Thrush header mufflers - and little else in the exhaust system) There's nothing new under the sun, and he who is without sin cast the first stone. :D

DG

I was speaking more along the lines of Drag Racing. on a road course i don't doubt in the least that a minivan won or that civics would blow the muscle cars away. however, put it on the line and thats a diffrent story.

but I suppose it all depends on what you like really. you can make anything go fast and handle well with some money and elbow grease, but you have to ask your self...... do I want to look good doing it?  ;D lol

Well, I'll take a GT-500 over a CRX any day, you can deliver it to my house, if you like... ;D

-When half the news is taken up with such important items as: This celebrity just got pregnant, and this famous couple finally got married.
-When there are two people at a restaurant together and one of them talks on their cell phone for half an hour.
-Annoying ringtones.
-This: A phone rings during the movies. Whispering, "Hello? I can't talk right now, I'm at the movies. What? Oh, it's Syriana. Yeah, it's really good, you should see it. George Clooney is in it. Yeah, but he's not very hot in this movie. Okay I gotto go. Yeah, Starbucks tomorrow. Okay, bye."
-People who don't know how to spell "a lot". It is two words, not one.
-People with stupidly poor form while weightlifting.
-(Yes, I'm twenty-eight and yes I'm just getting my driver's licence now. My family never had a car when I was growing up). People who see my red "L" and do the stupidest maneuvers, like swerve around me in the twenty metres of space afforded by a very small cross road. And yes, I was going the speed limit. This is particularly stupid when the person (like me) has an "L" because the other driver is trusting that the "L" driver has enough experience to handle **** like that.
-Meetings that don't stay on topic and accomplish nothing.
-Meetings.
-People who throw their kit into my space. (Sorry! I'm almost anally organized, which is one of my mother's pet peeves, actually.)
-People who don't take responsibility for their actions.

Wow, and I always think of myself as being an easy-going sort of person.

Cheers.

"People who throw their kit into my space. (Sorry! I'm almost anally organized, ... "

1. - You should start a "Being Organized" Self-Help thread on army.ca!

"Well, I'll take a GT-500 over a CRX any day, ..."

2. - Pet Peeve:  People who look at the odo on my 93 Civic, see 382,000 km, and say "Better get at the rust soon."  I will, OK?  See point no 1, above.

Tom

TCBF said:
2. - Pet Peeve:  People who look at the odo on my 93 Civic, see 382,000 km, and say "Better get at the rust

1. People who are able to hang on to the same car for 382,000 km

2. Not being able to get 382,000 km on my "built Ford Tough" F150 ( 288,00 km and 2nd engine)

3. People who get P.O'd when I throw my kit into their space (just to watch them get torqued)

- Hairdryers that do not blow enough heat as you try to thaw out the frozen well pipe in the pitch dark in 
  -35 temperatures so you can get on with flushing the toilet

rural folks will sympathize............

(was this pet peeves or current affairs?)

1) Changing into your uniform after PT and forgetting to bring your boots.

2) Asking for a Timmy's DD and it's bitter as tylenol!

3) Being a Medical/MLVW Technican, Adding 14liters of oil  to find you still have the oil pan bolt thing in your pocket!

Allan Luomala said:
#1 (with a bullet) - People who are too lazy to walk a few meters, and park in the handicapped spot(s), while in uniform, and worse yet, in DND vehicle. Any permutation of the above make me want to vomit with rage.

WTF????  It's amazing that anyone would be so stupid.  I'm a grouchy old man, so I've got a list of pet peeves a mile long.  But that one topped it.  I've nver seen it, but just knowing someone would do that in uniform is my new biggest pet peeve.  Maybe they had got a doctor to help them get a permit, but if someone needs a handicapped parking permit, they should not be in the military. 

My other pet peeves...

MIR commandos.
Troops who cry their way through courses.
Troops who manage to go through an entire training year without ever going into the field.
Promotion to Corporal based on 2 years in the reserves and the required courses, regardless of their actual competence as a Private.
Troops who play the harassment card, accusing everyone of not liking them because they are french/black/gay/ugly, when in reality, troopie is just a sh#tpump.
Reservists who put in the bare minimum in order to stay off the NES list.  And when these people go NES, nothing is done about it.
Troops who steal stuff from other troops.
Liberal arrogance, and a profound lack of vision from the Conservatives.
People who say 'irregardless', and 'orientate'.  THESE ARE NOT WORDS.
People from certain parts of the world when they are behind the wheel of a car.
Street racers.  People who drink & drive.  Red light runners. 
People who drive around in those little rice rockets with the purple underlighting.
CBC coverage of this Olympics.

Hunter said:
WTF????  It's amazing that anyone would be so stupid.  I'm a grouchy old man, so I've got a list of pet peeves a mile long.  But that one topped it.  I've nver seen it, but just knowing someone would do that in uniform is my new biggest pet peeve.  Maybe they had got a doctor to help them get a permit, but if someone needs a handicapped parking permit, they should not be in the military. 

I see this happen a LOT here in Gagetown at the Oromocto Mall, by the Tim Horton's entrance. It's usually at around 0700hrs, when there are hardly anybody at the mall, but it's the principle. I have jacked up military pers who have done this, and talked to civilians, who looked at me like I had three heads. I reported someone who had parked a DND van in the FIRE LANE in front of the entrance (they were in uniform as well) who was picking up a trayful of coffee's. They were leaving just as I was parking, but I got the CFR and reported them to MSE Safety.

I actually know of someone who has a handicapped pass that is currently serving. They received their injury that merit's this overseas, but even at that I don't think it's right to have one/use it if you are still serving (i.e if you can pass fitness testing every year, go on exercise/course/deployment, you aren't handicapped).

My late father-in-law, who suffered a debilitating stroke, refused to use the handicapped parking spaces that he was rightly entitled to (he didn't drive, but it was difficult for him to get around), because, in his opinion, there was probably someone else worse off than he was and needed the space more than he did. Mind you, he was an ornery old coot, very Old School, rest his soul.

Al

Back