• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pet Peeves

why should he have to move it when it's clearly visable? Should not he be the one being accomodated not the other way around?

ChopperHead said:
why should he have to move it when it's clearly visable?

Is that not where the permit HAS to be displayed?

You would think he would save himself the time and bother by moving it to the mirror, when he parks. I would have figured that one after the first ticket. Maybe your dad has a perverse hate on for cops, makes them get out of their nice warm car to write a ticket, and THEN they see the permit, and write the ticket. I can see the time savings here. How many times parked with out moving the permit from the dash to the rearview, vs. how many trips to explain the ticket. hmmmmm I don't think it adds up.  Maybe the cops just have a hate on for dad. I don't think so.

ChopperHead said:
Should not he be the one being accommodated not the other way around?

He is being accommodated. He has the permit, he just reuses to use it properly.

And yes, my mother also had a permit. She was unable to drive, I would take her to the hospital, or other appointment, get her out of the car, and then park the car in a normal spot. I'm not that handicapped, why make someone who really needs the spot, use it.

What really burns my ass about these permits are acts like the following.
Used to work at a golf course. One member has a permit. He parks the car in "His" spot, gets his clubs out, and then proceeds to walk the course. I don't get it.

"I hate when I'm backing in to a parking spot and somebody come up behind me and drives straight into the spot I was clearly backing into."

- I like driving straight into and through a stall so I can stop in the connecting stall.  Goes along with the first thing the Army taught me about backing up, which was "NEVER back up."

But, if I get there and see that somebody was about to back into it, I will back into the one I just drove over.

"Maybe your father provides some specific entertainment value to the clerks at the office, and they have requested that he continue to be ticketed.  Just a thought."

- Things like that don't really happen nowadays, do they?  ;D

Tom

TCBF said:
- I like driving straight into and through a stall so I can stop in the connecting stall.  Goes along with the first thing the Army taught me about backing up, which was "NEVER back up."
What do you do Tom, when you see someone backing into one of those spots, or just stopping in the first one, so that (s)he will have to back out when they leave?

On another note:

One night l made a late night stop at a convenience store in a Mall, just before closing time.  There were about six cars parked randomly in a parking lot for over 500.  I parked about ten spaces from the mall, well away from all other cars, and for once did not do as Tom usually does, drive through to the next 'stall', as there were no cars around me.  I went in and bought the computer magazine I wanted and came back out to the lot.  As I was approaching my vehicle, with my keys in my hand, a dizzy Cougar parked her little car nose to nose to my truck and proceeded into the Mall.  The urge to apply "Ramming Speed" abated and all I could do is shake my head at the stupidity of some people.  The rest of the night was uneventful.

Professional peeves:
Going lights and sirens to a call, and people who don't know WTF to do with themselves.  Typical reactions range from ignoring the red/white strobes and 125 db screaming, to stopping in the left lane.  Some day, God willing, we will have cow catchers on the front, and will have the authority to ram these dolts off the road.  It would only take a few, then people would get it. 
PULL TO THE RIGHT, STUPID!!!

Going to a call, where some gorf has ingested booze/drugs against a court order, and then whines about getting locked up, because he/she had "been trying really hard and am doing better.  I'm not a bad person, I made a bad choice".  No, you are a dink who doesn't care about your stips and didn't think you would get caught.  Save the rhetoric for your probaton officer/judge/social services/CAS worker.  They are the ones who get paid to care. 

Going into a home where the cockroaches are not even afraid of the light anymore, where walking around sounds like the floor and your boots are the two halves of a Velcro pair with dried indeterminable gunk in pots on the stove that is so dried on that little mini valleys have split open, cat and dog shit on the floor and in kids rooms that the beds have no sheets on, a refrigerator with nothing but left over  boxes with decomposing pizza just sitting in them and a bottle of ketchup, nothing in the cupboards but dust, and then listening to some crack whore weeping that she can't have her kids taken by CAS because they are her "life" and she can't live without them. 

Stopping a Honda CRX [with limo blackout tint windows (illegal) with an after market cherry bomb muffler (illegal) that has a pink neon licence plate cover (illegal), no front plate because of an after market ground effects addition (illegal) that has it's stereo cranked so loud I can't hear my own radio two car lengths back (illegal)] because it was racing another such car (illegal) and blew a red light (illegal) only to be told that I am only stopping the car because the driver is [insert VisMin here].  Although the consolation on this one:  all of the a/m (illegal) referred add up to $1060 in fines.
"Please, drive safely and have a nice evening"
--and on that note, personal peeve:  kids who pump $20, 000 into a Civic, Cavalier, Neon in cosmetic crap and never put a cent into the engine or performance parts.  Not terribly fast, and really not furious.

Judges who are so arrogant that they think that when they hand down their useless weak sentences, that giving a criminal a scolding will make any difference.  "I don't want to see you in front of this Court again, because next time things will not go so well for you".  If only they could see the asshats laughing at them and high fiving each other outside the court room.  Think maybe the criminal won't be too concerned with stealing another car and getting into a chase and killing one of your family members?  Then they will cry "but I just made a bad choice.  I won't make that choice again".  AWWWW.  Okay.  12 months probation with no conditions.  :rage:

I compelty agree there Zipper, The youth justice act is even worse though. a guy I know has been arrested so many times it really ins't even countable and every time the give him some probabtion or a couple months in Juvie. He stole my dirtbike, Lied to the judge on what happened. even his lawyer was confused cause his story made absultley no sense. but anyway he got 3 months in juvie for that. He is not even a Canadian citizen either, He's American. He's been convicted of assault,Drug crimes, B&E, Theft, the list just goes on and on and most are all re-peat offenses as well. giving someone a second chance who has no criminal record or anything is ok but this is alittle ridiculous.

Crime will not drop when the pukes become afraid of the system.  Crime will drop only when the pukes become afraid of the victims.

Tom

TCBF said:
Crime will not drop when the pukes become afraid of the system.  Crime will drop only when the pukes become afraid of the victims.

Tom

How about they be afraid of both?  Win/win.

Three months for a theft under $5000 is a life sentence around here.  You must live in Alberta or one of those other common sense provinces.  The lameness of the YCJA is easily it's own thread.  And it is outright Draconian if you look at the Immigration Act. 
What is important here is that our ambassadors have bragging rights about how compasionate our country is at United Nation's cocktail parties.

People who talk like if they have experienced/done eveything in the world. Especially when they are 20/21 yrs old.

TCBF said:

Tom

Crime will drop when we stop letting them go.

On another note I wish we had more of an american system were you can actually protect yourself, your property etc. In Canada you can't do anything, If someone breaks into my house or trys to steal my stuff, I think I have the right to shoot him, but maybe thats just me.
In my law class I read about this case awhile ago where a guy broke into someones house injured himself when he broke the window and sued the homeowner and won.

"On another note I wish we had more of an american system were you can actually protect yourself, your property etc. In Canada you can't do anything, If someone breaks into my house or trys to steal my stuff, I think I have the right to shoot him, but maybe thats just me.
In my law class I read about this case awhile ago where a guy broke into someones house injured himself when he broke the window and sued the homeowner and won."

- Okay, this is getting nuts.  Army.ca must have about five threads on gun ownership and defence, with about 1000 posts and 20,000 hits, and we have put this to bed over and over. 

Especially "I heard in law class..."

Give us case law, or read all of the threads, then post.

Tom

CFL said:
Not seeing hot lesbian soldiers holding hands and making out. ;D

I'm disappointed in you CFL! How could you be exclusionary and not include female sailors and air(wo)men from this pet peeve!

Al

My apologies. It must have been the extreme cold.  I might as well through in the reservists while I'm at it.

Most of my peeves have been covered, except.....people who AXE stupid questions, then kiss their teeth when they don't agree wit da answer. :-*
Yup, incorrect pronunciation of the English language, and definitely teeth kissing.

zipperhead_cop said:
Professional peeves:
Going lights and sirens to a call, and people who don't know WTF to do with themselves.  Typical reactions range from ignoring the red/white strobes and 125 db screaming, to stopping in the left lane.  Some day, God willing, we will have cow catchers on the front, and will have the authority to ram these dolts off the road.  It would only take a few, then people would get it. 
PULL TO THE RIGHT, STUPID!!!

Almost got killed on teh Calgary freeway like that on an ambulance call - numpty boy in front of us panicked when he  couldn't pull right and we had to lay on the binders at 100 + because he STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREEWAY.  If I hadn't been wearing my seat belt, I'd have been road pizza.

I still hate people who chew gum in uniform.

MM

Back