• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

I have been looking for a farm near Petawawa and there is a really cheap one in Quebec that is still close to base, about 30-35 minutes. Is there problems with doing something like this admin wise?

I realize I have to pay Quebec taxes, but the cost of the house more than makes up for land/value that I am looking at.

As a side...if someone knows specifically how moving beef calves from Ontario to Quebec would work, that'd be helpful. The wifey's father owns beef and has no issue giving us the cows he doesn't want to raise and will bring them up.

ixium said:
I have been looking for a farm near Petawawa and there is a really cheap one in Quebec that is still close to base, about 30-35 minutes. Is there problems with doing something like this admin wise?

I realize I have to pay Quebec taxes, but the cost of the house more than makes up for land/value that I am looking at.

As a side...if someone knows specifically how moving beef calves from Ontario to Quebec would work, that'd be helpful. The wifey's father owns beef and has no issue giving us the cows he doesn't want to raise and will bring them up.

Many who have been posted to Petawawa have bought homes and property over on the Quebec side of the river.  As with any posting, be sure that the property you buy is going to be easy to sell when you get posted out in the future.

As for beef cattle; that is something you will have to research very thoroughly and carefully.  I had a girl working for us, whose father is/was a long-time beef farmer in the Pontiac and has faced many problems and frustrations with the "Beef Industry" and their regulations in Quebec.  So be sure you research that matter thoroughly.

I'm hoping this is my last posting for a while. It is my 2nd move in 2 years and with it a promotion and LDA back I think the the taxes of Quebec shouldn't be an issue.
We also have no kids and not going to have them, so school is no problem either.

It might not be as easy of a sell for the land, but if we are there for 10 years ( i really really hope so...but army does weird things) the majority of it would be paid off and wouldn't really need to sell it off.

From what I've read it just matters where the animal was slaughtered/sold, not raised so I'm hoping it isn't a big issue for us, but we are definitely looking into that a lot more. And it is just going to be for very small 1/4 cow orders every now and then, not a major producing one.

Also is there a way that you could put me in touch with someone that has lived in that area of Quebec around Petawawa, I would love to pick their brain for some information.

Thanks!

So I've been posted to Pet and it looks like my house is sold and I'll be off to Petawawa for a HHT soon.  Thing is, there are slim pickings for housing in my price range that have the right bells and whistles for the family.  Sucks! 

Anyway, so we're scrambling to find any homes that match our criteria and are concerned we will be tricked into a crap house. 

So... Any advice on areas, builders, agents, lawyers and inspectors to avoid or flock to??

I'm coming from a big city and used to certain styles of homes and things like ensuite and walk ins with updated looks and am just struggling to get past what's on the market in Pet.  I don't want to toss my money away because I stupidly listened to the realtors opinion.  What's the deal?

There are a lot of new builds in the area. That is an option as you can alter the floor plan slightly.

Also what is your price range.

There are a few areas within pet that are new builds within a few years. They should have most of what you want depending on what you can spend.

Keep in mind you are also coming on the tail end of posting season. You wont have the selection like there was 2 months ago when there were 700 homes for sale in the area

generalmeow said:
So I've been posted to Pet and it looks like my house is sold and I'll be off to Petawawa for a HHT soon.  Thing is, there are slim pickings for housing in my price range that have the right bells and whistles for the family.  Sucks! 

Anyway, so we're scrambling to find any homes that match our criteria and are concerned we will be tricked into a crap house. 

So... Any advice on areas, builders, agents, lawyers and inspectors to avoid or flock to??

I'm coming from a big city and used to certain styles of homes and things like ensuite and walk ins with updated looks and am just struggling to get past what's on the market in Pet.  I don't want to toss my money away because I stupidly listened to the realtors opinion.  What's the deal?

Be very careful buying in Petawawa.  Here is the bottom line, when the War in Afghanistan was going on builders cashed in on the influx of cash and built tonnes of new houses and subdivisions of questionable quality.  Now that the war is over the housing market has crashed and all these folks that bought brand new houses are unable to sell.  I have friends that have been posted and can't sell their houses and can't even give them away. 

Couple this with the fact the other big employer, Atomic Energy of Canada, may downsize significantly in the coming years, it's not a good idea IMO to buy in Petawawa.  If you aren't there long term, get a PMQ or buy a place in Pembroke where resale prospects are a bit better.

argh, I still think I'll be buying.  I'm looking at houses in the $300,000 range and higher possibly.  I just don't know where the good neighbourhoods are.  Is Tarion a crap builder?  Am I better off going for a 30+ yo home? 

And hey, if anyone has a buddy looking to unload a house, feel free to PM their MLS #, I'd be happy to add it to list if it isn't already on there.

RoyalDrew said:
  I have friends that have been posted and can't sell their houses and can't even give them away. 

Tarion is a warranty system for new homes, not a builder. There's a whole lot of Laurentian houses sitting unsold right now in Laurentian Highlands, so I'd likely stay away from them, although I've never seen any on the inside to know of the quality.

generalmeow said:
argh, I still think I'll be buying.  I'm looking at houses in the $300,000 range and higher possibly.  I just don't know where the good neighbourhoods are.  Is Tarion a crap builder?  Am I better off going for a 30+ yo home? 

And hey, if anyone has a buddy looking to unload a house, feel free to PM their MLS #, I'd be happy to add it to list if it isn't already on there.

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15614099/4-Chippewa-Rd-Petawawa-Ontario-K8H3K1-COUNTRY-LANE

PuckChaser said:
Tarion is a warranty system for new homes, not a builder. There's a whole lot of Laurentian houses sitting unsold right now in Laurentian Highlands, so I'd likely stay away from them, although I've never seen any on the inside to know of the quality.

Houses were built on sand, some foundations were cracking after five years and also sinking.  If you insist on buying do so in Pembroke, more amenities and better chance of resale IMO.

PuckChaser said:
Isn't all of Petawawa sand?

Yes but there is something about the ground in Laurentian hills.  Lots of complaints about houses having their foundations crack. 

No matter where you buy around Petawawa, you will be facing similar problems.  The Base and AECL are the two major employers within 100 km radius.  The weather in the Winter can make long drives less than desirable, and in Summer tourists clog the highways.  Petawawa has a larger population now than Pembroke and ten times the businesses and amenities it did a decade ago.  Buying and selling a house anywhere in the Pembroke/Petawawa area will have similar benefits and problems.  If schools are a factor, Petawawa did have a good reputation in that regard.

That said, people have been known to commute from Deep River, Eganville, Renfrew and even Arnprior, as well as the smaller villages East of Pembroke and across the River in the Pontiac.

As for the quality of houses; you will have a Home Inspector in to inspect it in the process to get a mortgage, so that is a point to look at carefully.  Find a reputable inspector who knows the area and builders.  That may be your biggest concern and the one that will most likely affect where and what to buy.  (Of course that follows on that you had an honest and reputable Realtor.  ;D  )

George Wallace said:
No matter where you buy around Petawawa, you will be facing similar problems.  The Base and AECL are the two major employers within 100 km radius.  The weather in the Winter can make long drives less than desirable, and in Summer tourists clog the highways.  Petawawa has a larger population now than Pembroke and ten times the businesses and amenities it did a decade ago.  Buying and selling a house anywhere in the Pembroke/Petawawa area will have similar benefits and problems.  If schools are a factor, Petawawa did have a good reputation in that regard.

That said, people have been known to commute from Deep River, Eganville, Renfrew and even Arnprior, as well as the smaller villages East of Pembroke and across the River in the Pontiac.

As for the quality of houses; you will have a Home Inspector in to inspect it in the process to get a mortgage, so that is a point to look at carefully.  Find a reputable inspector who knows the area and builders.  That may be your biggest concern and the one that will most likely affect where and what to buy.  (Of course that follows on that you had an honest and reputable Realtor.  ;D  )

Good advice George, especially with respect to weather.  I lived in Deep River and they don't really plow all that well past Chalk, 4x4 was a must have up there.

Anywhere along the 17 was brutal in the winter time...especially along the stretch from base to deep and chaulk.

RoyalDrew said:
Good advice George, especially with respect to weather.  I lived in Deep River and they don't really plow all that well past Chalk, 4x4 was a must have up there.

Not really.... I commuted to Pet from Deep from 07-13 and then started commuting to Ottawa.... this was either in a Hyundai Accent or Toyota Yaris (to save on gas obviously). Not once did I go in the ditch...get stuck...or otherwise wipe out, no matter what the weather was. Saw plenty of Dodge's/Ford's/Chevy's plowed into the rhubard on the passing lanes south-east of chalk though, which I think is more a statement on their particular driving ability rather than whether you absolutely need 4x4 up there.

Towards_the_gap said:
Not really.... I commuted to Pet from Deep from 07-13 and then started commuting to Ottawa.... this was either in a Hyundai Accent or Toyota Yaris (to save on gas obviously). Not once did I go in the ditch...get stuck...or otherwise wipe out, no matter what the weather was. Saw plenty of Dodge's/Ford's/Chevy's plowed into the rhubard on the passing lanes south-east of chalk though, which I think is more a statement on their particular driving ability rather than whether you absolutely need 4x4 up there.

:nod:

Commuted locally to Pet and from Kingston and Ottawa all in 2WD cars, one FWD the other RWD.  Never an issue.  Proper winter tires (not "all-seasons", a.k.a. 'Florida winters') and deliberate, thoughtful driving will keep you out of the ditch.  As Towards the Gap noted, I would say the majority of 'ditch divers' were flashy 4x4 'tour toys'.  Deep River is a beautiful area, although re-sale will be even harder than Pet/Pembroke.  Not that I have a next time, but if I were going to Pet for yet another time, I'd look around Radtke or River Road, between Pembroke Airport and the river.  Not a bad drive in to the base, but that much closer to Pembroke and a little bit more amenities (read, 'cheaper groceries' than Mancion's).

:2c:

G2G

Hey peoples.

Curious as to what anyone can tell me about the internet providers in Pet. Who's good, who to avoid. Etc...

Not interested in bundle packages or anything like that. Don't have cable TV nor do I want it and no company in Ontario will match my cell plan so I'm keeping my current one.

I've been checking online but that only helps so much. Shaw in Manitoba was annoying for me so I'm leaning away from them when I come there.

Any information helps.

Thanks peoples.

Where are you planning to live? That'll change what provider you can get.

Back