• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pharmacy Officer

Rocknroll said:
ballz:

You know lots of CAs that work for less than 100k? Sure you do. Anyone can claim anything on the internet. Perhaps accounting grads working towards their CA will make less than that....but I have my doubts lots of CAs are working for less than 70k.

"With their specialized talents, CAs get paid very well. An articling student earns $45,000 a year and the average compensation for a new CA is $72,000."

-http://www.thestar.com/Money911/article/124850

Don't bother apologizing for insinuating that I am a liar, I am sure you are well above apologies. I am sure you will just ignore this anyway, or brush it off with a "I don't buy that," just like you ignored all the other evidence that you're head is in the clouds.

What you don't know about CAs, lawyers, etc (besides everything) is that when they first get hired they start off a hell of a lot lower than what gets glorified. A new CA/Lawyer is hired and expected to work his ballz off for 60-70 hrs a week to prove his worth and to earn a piece of the partnership, they don't just give up partnership for nothing. It's when you become a partner in an accounting or law firm that you start raking in the big bucks, which is why a CA with 5 years experience averages 113k, but the average salary is more than 168k.

But I am sure you know all about how everything works...

Rocknroll said:
In any event, I don't care what you think about pharmacy salaries. Try looking at ads for pharmacists....the ones that list salary....and see how many of them make 20 bucks an hour or whatever you think is common. It doesn't really matter. You think pharmacy salaries in the CF are fine. Maybe even overpaid, apparently. I don't. The CF can decide what it wants to do based on the info that they have.

Do the math. I am fine with saying $40 an hour, that is what was reported as the "low-end" in the article previously posted by dapaterson.

$40/hr * 40 hrs/week * 52 weeks = $83200 (Kinda looks like a GSO Captain's salary to me...)

Hmmm, you are short a digit there... Like I said, yes, pharmacists can work OT and all that jazz, and that can easily bring them up over 100k a year, but if you're going to start arguing that then you've got to start considering the extra money being made by CF members when they deploy, plus the various allowances, and tax exemptions, all of which aren't considered on the payscale at forces.ca which only shows monthly salary.

Rocknroll said:
This type of attitude is what I find annoying.

Achooooo... Sorry, I'm allergic to irony.

I must retire from this. It is clear that facts and statistics are no match for you. I am handicapped by the limits of reality which clearly don't apply to your world.

Journeyman:

If you would have bothered to read this thread, you'd realize that yes, I did mention more than money in this thread. More than once. And if I am talking about money a lot, well...umm...duh...this thread has "Pharmacist" and "payscale" in the title...but by all means...don't let that stop your clumsy attempt to pile on.  ::)

ballz:

Glad to see you took your Valium and were able to join us today. And don't worry, I certainly won't be apologizing. I suspected you might bring up that particular report...I've seen it before...and I've heard CAs say the figures in that survey are under reported...I'm sure you can find people saying that very thing if you google it...anyway, let's say for sake of argument that we accept those numbers. New CAs make ~70k a year. That only undercuts your previous argument about Log Os. If a new CA with a degree makes just over 70k a year, Log Os seem to be more than adequately compensated...whether or not they have a CA. Not so with pharmacy. If we take the 40 an hour amount a new pharm grad can make (they can make even more, but we'll go with 40) even 83k is quite a difference from the 70k a new captain makes. And that is without any obligations of the sort that being in the CF carries. Oh, and btw...you are the only one fixated on 100k. I even said in a previous post 100k was in no way meaningful...except that new pharm grads can make that much. My argument...again....was occupations that are paid significantly more than average....and even 83k would qualify...should have the merits of a separate payscale looked at.

And you aren't the only one done with this. I was asked earlier what I hoped to gain, and I had said just a discussion. Batting around an idea and checking the merits and so forth. It seems clear that that sort of thing doesn't happen here. The name calling, attempts to pile on, and trying to shout down what is a minority opinion is funny in a way...again, I picture several of you redfaced with rage as you pound out your response...but it's also tiresome. I don't know if you are truly intolerant of differing views (and by the way, stats and surveys do NOT equal truth. They can be misleading or distorted and it's appropriate to be skeptical...especially if you have good reason to be...I guess that's beyond some of you to grasp, though), or if you are simply hostile to new posters who don't bow and scrape before the forum elders. I suspect it's the latter, but who knows?...maybe it's a combination of both. In any event, it's been....interesting. Reply if you if like, but I won't be here to answer. You can breathe easy again.

Rocknroll said:
In any event, it's been....interesting. Reply if you if like, but I won't be here to answer.

In that case, there's no need for this to be sent around the track again with similar responses. Usual caveats apply, i.e., if you have something constructive and materially different from what has been posted that you feel your life will be incomplete if not added, you may ask a Moderator to consider unlocking the thread.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hey all,

So I thought I would share my story to date simply because I found it enjoyable to be able to read through other's experiences' while I was considering what path I wanted to take.  My interest with the CF started 5 or 6 years ago when a recruiter came to talk to my grade 10 class about the career options the military had.  I thought about it for awhile before filing the thought away in the back of my mind.  The next year I was at a swim meet and there was a display booth set up about RMC.  Again it got me thinking about my interest in the military however again other things took precedence in my mind and I forgot about it.  Finally, about a year ago I decided I wanted to apply for a couple of Pharmacy programs.  While thinking about that I looked up pharmacists in the CF and saw the incentive to combine two things I have found myself to be passionate about, the military and healthcare.
In late June of this year I found out I had been accepted into a Pharm program.  In August I made a few calls and decided it would be a good time to apply and see what happened.  Through contact with some people I found out there would be a board deciding who would be accepted into the Pharmacy ROTP in October.  So through August it was a bit of a rush to get all my documentation in.  I managed to get all the paperwork in though and then had my physical, CFAT and interview two weeks later.  I should note that when applying I was under the impression my ROTP would be beginning next year (Sept 2012). 
Last week I received a call from my local recruiting office telling me they had some good news.  I had been selected for the Pharmacy ROTP program, which in itself was more than exciting.  However there was more, the impression I got was that the CF wanted to start my ROTP this year instead of next.  As of right now I am not sure if they mean starting from Sept, which would mean backpay and reimbursement of tuition, or simply beginning with my semester that starts in January.  Either way I am incredibly excited.  Up next I have my swearing in on Nov 23.  After that I have to make a trip to the nearest base to talk with a university liaison to see what the plan is. 
I know based on reading other people's experiences that mine has been quite an easy journey so far and has worked out incredibly for me.  I'll keep updating as time passes and my future becomes a bit more clear.

I was wondering if anyone knows how the promotion works with completing BMOQ before I graduate pharmacy school. I emailed my ULO and others about this question, but the answers I received were not clear.

I understand that for MOTP and DOTP they are automatically promoted to 2nd Lt upon enrollment. I was wondering if I completed BMOQ would I stay as an OCdt or will I be promoted to 2nd Lt for the duration of my studies.

I know if I graduate pharmacy, I will be promoted to Lt even without completion of BMOQ, but I cannot wear the rank.

Thanks

Sierracharlierx said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how the promotion works with completing BMOQ before I graduate pharmacy school. I emailed my ULO and others about this question, but the answers I received were not clear.

I understand that for MOTP and DOTP they are automatically promoted to 2nd Lt upon enrollment. I was wondering if I completed BMOQ would I stay as an OCdt or will I be promoted to 2nd Lt for the duration of my studies.

I know if I graduate pharmacy, I will be promoted to Lt even without completion of BMOQ, but I cannot wear the rank.

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply, just started reviewing this part of the Army.ca Forum.

For ROTP here is the rank progression:
Enrolled at the rank of OCdt and effective through school.
Upon completion of your Bachelor's Degree (or PharmD) you will be promoted to Lt and go on internship to get your license.
Once you have received your license to practice you will be promoted to the rank of Captain.

Please note that the DOTP/MOTP are sepearate entry plans.  For subsidized education for Pharmacy you're enrolled into the ROTP entry plan which is why you remain at the rank of OCdt (and pay) for your schooling.

Hope this helps.

Buck_HRA said:
Please note that the DOTP/MOTP are sepearate entry plans.  For subsidized education for Pharmacy you're enrolled into the ROTP entry plan which is why you remain at the rank of OCdt (and pay) for your schooling.

Hope this helps.
So DOTP/MOTP have different rank and pay during schooling compared to ROTP? Could you explain the differences?

MOTP
Enrolled at the rank of OCdt and commissioned right away to the rank of 2Lt.  They remain 2Lt while attending school.
While doing residency they are promoted and paid at the rank of Lt.
Once they have completed their residency they are promoted to the rank of Capt.

DOTP
Enrolled at the rank of OCdt and commissioned right away to the rank of 2Lt.  They remain 2Lt while attending school.
Once they have their Degree and are licensed they are promoted to the rank of Capt.

Keep in mind that both MOTP & DOTP entry plans that the applicants must already be in possession of a Degree and be accepted into Medical/Dental School.  This is the primary reason that their rate of pay is higher while they are attending school.

Back