• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PHOTOS: Arctic Ram 2012

jeffb said:
How about captions that get ranks wrong? "Pte Harris from 1 RCHA" instead of Gnr.

From a purely pedantic standpoint, the caption is correct. "Gunner", "Sapper", "Trooper" and other such ranks are not authorized for use in the CF.  They appear in a table to the NDA, but the QR&Os are clear that only certain ranks are approved for use.  Pte, Cpl etc are OK for use; those in naval DEUs are authorized the use of AB,, LS etc; but the old names are not currently authorized for use.

(That everyone does in fact use them is a different topic entirely)

Just watched the National. I was pleased with the report until they got to the conclusion with the earnest young reporter. She reported that one vehicle rolled spilling fuel, that a helicopter knocked out power to Yellowknife for a week and that Arctic Ram was actually held in the sub-arctic. Nice to end the report with a downer ma'am, you are Toronto bound for sure!

FSTO said:
and that Arctic Ram was actually held in the sub-arctic.
Which is a very valid statement.  This scale of operation would not be possible in the actual arctic - unless all the vehicles were shipped up via barge during the late summer months.  Once we re-establish an arctic warfare school at Res Bay - we might be in a better position to hold true arctic exercises.

What's also important with this exercise is that it's testing the efficacy with which the Bde can deploy as a whole domestically and employ its forces. Think how much easier it will be to react to flooding in the prairies now that the HQ and Sigs has managed to devise a system that allows them to set up the HQ in only a matter of hours.

Zoomie said:
Which is a very valid statement.  This scale of operation would not be possible in the actual arctic - unless all the vehicles were shipped up via barge during the late summer months.  Once we re-establish an arctic warfare school at Res Bay - we might be in a better position to hold true arctic exercises.

Oh I realize that. But the way she said it (to me, but then I mistrust everything the media reports on us) made it seem that the Canadian forces had no idea that they were in the sub-arctic. She did say that next years exercise would be outside of Tuktoyuktuk (sp),then in a snooty voice (once again sounded like that to me) "which is actually in the Arctic."

Sometimes people are so literal!  Do they really think we would have called the exercise Sub-Arctic Ram?

Back