• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

mml, from what I understand you get sent to the "warrior platoon" where you do NOTHING but PT.  You have a maximum of 90 days in the WP to reach the physical standards required by the CF.  Anyone on any sort of intelligent exercise program who trains for 90 days will pass the tests administered.  If you (and this isn't a personal attack) can't get in the proper shape in 90 days, with the help of the instructors, not to mention a stricter diet (I believe WP members diets are restricted, although I'm not sure on that) while in the WP then god help your withered decrepid body.  Also try putting "warrior platoon" in the search function, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need...As the vets around here say
Welcome to Army.ca...start reading!

Awhile back i was messaging with a recruit who just passed his express test after going to RFT and was advised this is what happens in RFT Platoon.

"You do weights in the morning (alternating upper and lower body every other day), and cardio (running, swimming, eliptical, treadmill, or spinning.) We are actually ordered to rest and relax for the weekends, it's our scheduled rest time to recover from the work we do during the week. The only PT we do on the weekends is an hour mandatory of swimming on sundays. Even then, it's not as intensive as the regular PT, because it's done during the 'free swim' time. You can do whatever you want in that hour; diving boards, laps, screwing around with the balls, etc."

And you can check out this article  http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/10_06/10_06_cda_recruit-fitness_e.asp

I just realized that at the end of the post it sounded like I was referring to myself as an army.ca veteran which was totally not the case!  Sorry for any misunderstnading (if there is or was any by anyone).  I am most certainly NOT an army.ca vet (yet anyway) and am WELL aware of this fact.  :-X

Does anyone know a good lower back exercise that can be done without weights? Any help is appreciated thx.

Hi all,

I certainly do not mean to recommend a fad diet here on the forum but I just lost 45 lbs simply be LIMITING my carbs. NOT ATKINS!!!!!
I went from 275 to 230 in 3 months. I am 6"4". I did not start working out until I hit 230. I feel freaking amazing and shedding the big weight first and then working out seemed to eliminate the sports fatigue and injury that I would get hauling my fat arse around. I could not run a step and now I am able to hit the 2 km mark without to much suffering. (please be kind, I am getting better everyday)

This may not be a good diet or a safe diet but I feel great, and cant seem to see any negative results. I take a multivitamin, use a protein shake and have added omega 3/6/9 capsules.

I appreciate any feedback.

Keebler said:
Awhile back i was messaging with a recruit who just passed his express test after going to RFT and was advised this is what happens in RFT Platoon.

"You do weights in the morning (alternating upper and lower body every other day), and cardio (running, swimming, eliptical, treadmill, or spinning.) We are actually ordered to rest and relax for the weekends, it's our scheduled rest time to recover from the work we do during the week. The only PT we do on the weekends is an hour mandatory of swimming on sundays. Even then, it's not as intensive as the regular PT, because it's done during the 'free swim' time. You can do whatever you want in that hour; diving boards, laps, screwing around with the balls, etc."

And you can check out this article  http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/10_06/10_06_cda_recruit-fitness_e.asp

Thanks for the info and the link. My question is: can people who want to join the reserves get into this program?

LoboCanada said:
Thanks for the info and the link. My question is: can people who want to join the reserves get into this program?

No, since for the most part reserve training (including portions of you initial training) wiil take place on the weekends.  There simply is not enough time or resources.  And as you will be told when you get to the your reserve you unit, PT is your responsibility not your units.  If you want a fitness program try crossfit or the AFM or CFP.

Hopefully this will help with your Strength Conditioning. Well it helped with mine.  I found a book called Combat Conditioning my Matt Furey. Pretty much for the first month you have three exercises. Hindu Squats, Hindu Push Ups and Back Bridging. You do as many as you can until failure they may not seem like much but before you know it you will be able to pump out 100 Hindu Squats, 50 Hindu push ups and Back Bridge and Rock 50 reps and be sweating like a moofoo. You can find these exercises on youtube just type in combat conditioning it will bring you right to Matt Furey. This build a solid foundation for me and if I can do it you can do it.. This is another work out that I got from a gymnast friend of mine they have crazy strength and it took me a while to get this down but I dont think I could have done it with out combat conditioning. Below is a sequence of moves that I count as one rep pretty much starts with 1 Hindu Squat. 1 Burpee with Push up. 1 Squat Jump and builds from there.

1. Hindu Squat, Burpee with push up then when you get up from Burpee Squat Jump. Do this for until Failure.
2. Hindu Squat, Burpee with push up , Squat Jump then add a pull up. Do this until Failure.
3. Hindu Squat, Burpee with push up, Squat Jump then do a Hand Stand Push up. Do this until Failure.
4. Hindu Squat, Burpee with push up, Squat Jump then back bride or wall walk push up. Do this until Failure.
5. Hindu Squat, Burpee with push up, Squat jump then wall walk until you touch the floor then walk in bridge ten steps forward then ten steps back wards.

I hope these exercises help you . I think you will be surprized if you give it a try and stick with it. I tryied to explain my routine the best I could. I also modfy them to how I feel that day some days when I do a Burpee I can do a Plyometric push up just to add another kick or do a handstand plyometric push up and so on just to get the added power in the movement.

As it goes for running I hope this helps. I just do the Beep test one day and running stairs the next alternating them.

beep test consists of you running back and forth between two pylons set at 20 Meters or 65.6 Feet I round it up to 66.
and you run back and forth between them until failure . You can down load the MP3 from Limewire or what ever you want. and the next day I run up and down steps for 30Minutes boring as hell though so have yourself some good music. I added this to running the steps to give me an extra challenge I have a set of hand weights or elastic bands you buy from wal-mart. while I am running up the steps I throw punches it just adds to the intensity and it is fun cause running steps suck.

For the abs I just do Ab ripper X it is 15 minutes of ab work and I do this every other day usually the days after I run the stairs.

so hopefully all these exercises will help you peace out...

HOnestly - I have some of the furey books - what he calls things is not revolutionary - just how much he flaunts things as his own are a little tiresome - not to say the excercises don't work...

I agree with you in the aspect that Matt Furey does like to toot his own horn . Believe you me I would rather read one of his books then to listen to him talk ten hours about himself on video . As far as saying the exercises dont work, in my case I would disagree with you. I maybe one in a hundred that stuck with it and its worked for me, but that is why there are endless exercise methods out there to choose from . You do what is best for you and in my own case I have lost more weight and never been as strong as I am now with body weight exercises and I believe it was the book combat conditioning that paved that way for me, so I will stick with what works for me.  I was only sharing an idea on line about improving physcal fitness if people take what I mentioned and it benifits them then all the power too them. I would be most intrested in you work out program do you have any refferences that I can explore and expand on to improve myself. Thanks for your time.

I know that I am CLEARLY not the first person on this thread to ask this question, but I need a no b.s physical assesment from either a member of the CF, or someone of significant experience. I have to go for my physical assesment in March or April. I know the requirements but I still want to strive to excell. I can currently do about 40 standard CF pushups, and situps I can pretty much do to no end. But running. I haven't really ran for about 4 months, and in that time, pretty much everything I had worked to accomplish dissapeared. I was able to run 2.4km in about 9:10 and 5km in 23 (flat land), but know I think I could probably only run 2.4 in 11-12 with a struggle. I know I need to get back into shape for running, but i'm curious how well I'm doing in the other aspects of assesment, and if someone could tell me a simple rough program that I could follow it would be highly appreciated.  :pushup:

[EDITTED to create new Topic]

This will give others the chance to compare their Training and results.

Here is a training program that I have been doing for the last couple of weeks, I think this will help anyone get in shape for basic. All you need is a Pull up bar , weights or resistance tubing and about an hour a day some days an hour and a half of time out of your day. First of all you should download the following programs P90X Chest and Back- This has enough push up and pull up variations to help you gain some strength, P90X Ab Ripper X- this will blast your abs and the basic sit up will be as easy as walking, P90X Plyometrics- this will help you run faster jump higher and you will kick the pants off of anyone else who is not using it.

Here is the program. I run 5 Times a week alternating a 5K run takes about a half an hour and step running the next day for half an hour.

I split Ab Ripper X and Chest and Back alternating them dont do either two days in a row give your body time to recover.

Once a Week do Plyometrics. "no more then twice a week if I am feeling very good I will put an extra one in on the weekend".

so here is what a typical week looks like I also mix it up every week just do what you can, do your best and forget the rest. Remember to stretch before and after and for the shin split masters like me walk on the balls of your feet for a couple of minutes before and after you run or do plyometrics you will thank your legs later for doing this....

Mon- 5K run, Ab ripper X
Tuesday- Step Running, Chest and Back
Wednesday- Plyometrics, Ab Ripper X
Thursday- 5K run, Chest and Back
Friday- Step Running, Ab ripper X
Saturday- 5K run, Chest and Back
Sunday-  Very light jog and lots of stretching

theres two ways you could run. 1. is taught by my brother Capt. XXXX XXXX who went to RMC, he said to take a breath in on the left foot count 1-2-1-2-3 breathe out on the 3rd. If you find your hyperventilating, then dont do it. As someone else thinks this does not work. I have tried it, I did 2.5 kilometers in 10 minutes. Or the other thing you could do is run for a minute stop do that in one week only run for a minute, then the next week 2 minutes, keep increasing the minutes in each week. A cross country runner trainer taught me that. Perhaps it'll work maybe not, good luck though in the physical. its not hard.

-Pte.Allen- :cdn:

Name removed by Mod

Are you sure your Brother is OK with you posting his name in public?

Maybe you should remove the name Bruce? until you get an answer.

RebornXmetalhead said:
What happened to the good ol pushups? Are they not good anymore?
I was always told that pushups build many parts at once (arms, back, shoulders, abs, chest..)
I was also told that working out on machines is bad for muscle developement because you grow out of proportion.. whereas free weights is better.
Pushups do. Main focus is on triceps (back of upper arm), and the pectorals (chest)/anterior deltoid (front shoulder). They are the prime movers. With a wide grip, the chest works more, with a narrow grip, the anterior deltoid works more. I think... Anyway the abs and hip flexors work to brace the torso and maintain a straight line. It's an isometric hold for them, they do not go through any range of motion with proper form. I have heard of it strengthening the back, but I don't really understand how that works.

Machines are not bad for muscle development, they work well at developing muscles. 'Proportion' is relative. Different free weight movements will create different proportions of muscles as well. Someone who does only chinups will look quite different from someone doing only squats. Machines tend to be very stable, so that people do not hurt themself. The problem, and why free weight and bodyweight movements are irreplacable, is that instability is good because you develope the ability to use other muscles as stabilizers. The ability to stabilize yourself is important in the real world, so the strength is more useable. If you build great strength on a machine, you may hurt yourself attempting to use all of it in real situation if you cannot control it with stabilization.

Freight said:
Doing too many situps can cause the overdevelopment of the hip flexor and can cause back problems.
Is overdevelopment a relative thing? If people who build strong/large hip flexor muscles also do a lot of work for the opposite muscles (hip extensors) like the glutes and hamstrings, could this help to balance out the risks and lessen the risk of back problems? So if one were to say, do squats and deadlifting, perhaps it would lessen the risk of back problems associated with excessive situps in some? Hip flexors are very good muscles for people who like to do front kicks, for example, so it can be hard to limit their strength.

Nat. Cap. Girl said:
is it not also true though that if you don't have strong enough abs that you can get back problems from that as well?
Situps focus more on the hip flexors, the abs only work statically (isometrics) to stabilize the core. Crunches work the abs as a prime mover, the hip flexors only contract isometrically and to a lesser degree. The lower back does not leave the ground. They are not associated with as many problems as situps get blamed with.

midgetcop said:
Squats are a great overall exercise that will not only work all your leg muscles at once, but will also build strength in your back, abs, and hip flexors.
Do you mean hip extensors? I know that for going deeper in the squat people often consciously engage their hip flexors to 'pull them in' but that's more of a nerve trick to make some of the short hip extensor fibres relax so that other fibres which are long enough to engage in the stretch can take the load. I don't think they're actually stressed much, not any more than the triceps would be in a biceps curl anyway. Abs are used very much when the torso is upright to avoid letting the weight hyperextend the back ,as well as contracting isometrically with the back muscles to stabilize the spine. It is especially the deeper muscles rather than the superficial ones that work to do this. For people who bend forward on squats and it's more like a good morning or deadlift, I don't think the abs work as hard though, since the lower back muscles take so much more of the load.

Combat_Engineer_Clarke said:
Hopefully this will help with your Strength Conditioning. Well it helped with mine.  I found a book called Combat Conditioning my Matt Furey. Pretty much for the first month you have three exercises. Hindu Squats, Hindu Push Ups and Back Bridging.
They're interesting movements, I've tried the system. Pushups are still better training for pushups than hindu pushups though. You need to be able to maintain the plank (yoga term) position to keep your core stiff during pushups, which requires strong abs and hip flexors. Hindu pushups have the hips moving throughout it, and even the back extends (hyperextends?) at the bottom. It also only works the chest and triceps eccentrically. To push off the ground, you need concentric strength. He keeps those as a cardio/endurance exercise, which I guess is okay, but swimming's probably easier on the shoulders. Backbridging is fun but doesn't really transfer to any of these military prep exercises discussed. I really admire Matt's focus on hill/wind sprints, those are a great exercise. Hindu squats help develope ankle and foot strength, and do load the quads more, but normal squats (heel on ground) are better because they are safer for when you weight lift, you use more posterior chain, and you get to learn how to dorsiflex the ankle better. Variety's probably the key, he introduces stuff people forget about so that's valuable, though maybe not a quarter grand valuable as it gets marketed for.

Combat_Engineer_Clarke said:
Here is a training program that I have been doing for the last couple of weeks, I think this will help anyone get in shape for basic. All you need is a Pull up bar , weights or resistance tubing and about an hour a day some days an hour and a half of time out of your day. First of all you should download the following programs P90X Chest and Back- This has enough push up and pull up variations to help you gain some strength, P90X Ab Ripper X- this will blast your abs and the basic sit up will be as easy as walking, P90X Plyometrics- this will help you run faster jump higher and you will kick the pants off of anyone else who is not using it.
The P90X system is marketed by the 'Beach Body' corporation which also produces 'Hip Hop Abs' and 'Turbo Jam'. It's not exactly in the best company, but it is certainly the best I've seen from them of the three. Varying exercises does work and is a smart idea, but not for the reasons of 'muscle confusion' theory that are marketed. That is oversimplifying it. But understanding it isn't necessary for it to work I guess, so long as people are actually measurably progressing and not getting stuck in a rut trying to confuse themselves. The inclusion of the chinning bar is solid. Haven't heard of the 'ab ribber' thing, must be new. I don't really like the name, sounds like it might have some spot reduction stuff in it. Furey used to say stuff like that too, it's not a nice myth to propogate. If it focuses on building the ab muscles as half the battle that's fine though.

Greetings, I am new around this website.  Does anyone know what level on the beep test I have to get to at Basic Officer training?  As well, Does anyone know what standards one must reach physically to avoid the so called "fat platoon"?  I'm not a great runner myself. 

Heebs said:
Greetings, I am new around this website.  Does anyone know what level on the beep test I have to get to at Basic Officer training?  As well, Does anyone know what standards one must reach physically to avoid the so called "fat platoon"?  I'm not a great runner myself. 

The minimum, I say again, the minimum is to get to level 6 on the 20 MSR for anyone getting into the CF. Strive for more.

Heebs said:

You should have received the PT requirements when you visited the CFRC.  If not in the package they gave you, then try a SEARCH on this site.  I know the standards are posted including links to the CF site.

Back