• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

What happened to the good ol pushups? Are they not good anymore?
I was always told that pushups build many parts at once (arms, back, shoulders, abs, chest..)
I was also told that working out on machines is bad for muscle developement because you grow out of proportion.. whereas free weights is better.

I don't know though, please correct me if I'm wrong.

All I do is pushups, situps, squats, crunches and situps, arm curls... that's pretty much it.

I'll start doing free weights soon, I'll just study on it and make sure I get the right exercises and make sure I'm doing them right.

I just go to the gym once every 2 days.  20 mins of cardio + an overall workout that touch pretty much all muscles + military chinups, pushups and situps.  It take me 90 mins to 2 hours and im usually tired as hell afterward.

My goal is to be above average when Basic Training start.

Fogpatrol 1.0 said:
Your training routine is too harsh.   You risk hurting yourself before going to basic training and that would be bad.

There's no point in doing that many push-ups since you don't leave time for your muscles to rest.   Also, you would benefit more from them if you were doing 3 sets in a row instead of spread around during the day like that.

You're pretty good if you can keep up with this until you are send to basic training, but seriously no one need to do that much.

Spreading pushups and sit ups throughout the day is actually based on some sound scientific theory, mostly done in Eastern Europe, when the Communist Bloc was still around.  I have included a link to a newsletter, MilFit, that specifically discusses improving your push up total, you will find it on page 2 (http://www.specialtactics.com/MILFIT4.pdf).  Like any workout, eventually your body will adapt and you will need to change your program.  Just my .02.

I really got a problem: i hate gyms even if i go 1 time per week. I'm a long distance runner, loving to run outside about 6 days per weeks and 2 time per day occasionally. I usually run about 70 - 90km per week. But i know i have to do some weight lifting. Do any of you have a way to stick to a program?

quebec runner,

Before going on a run, do pushups and situps till failure and also after you come back. 4 times a day till failures on both 6 days a week in a month you will be millions of miles from where you started

wow all this discussion of workout routines has me all boggled!  i'm in the process of trying to get myself in shape .. i'm an active person, always on the go...hiking, playing baseball etc.. but i have definitely gotten out of shape over the years.
I've started working out slowly by doing situps and pushups in the morning when i wake up.. i bike every evening on the back roads which have alot of hills- my bike runs are approx. 20 kms...and then i do situps, and handgrips after. I don't go to a gym because i really can't afford a membership, so i have a few free weights around to do bicep /tricep curls?? i have just started running again, but it is a struggle , my breathing is horrible!!! And i'm pathetic at pushups- i can't even do a mens pushup?  Any suggestions that would improve my workout and results would be appreciated!!! Oh and by the way... great job to all of you who have succeeded in getting themselves into great shape!!! Hopefully i'll be one of them soon!!!

maggie. Just do women push ups then after you can do alot of those, do men ones. You want to run better? Only way is to run more. Plus watch your diet, don't over kill it just stay away from sugar, don't eat late at night

Figured I may throw out an AB work out suggestion.  First off, this is for people who wish to strengthen each part of their abdominals in one basic excercise, and I warn you, its not for those of you with weaker abs.  I can do about 80 or more sit ups but this absolutly rips my abs.  It's called 5 minute abs, 1 minute per excercise but I wont lie, I can only do each excercise for 40 seconds, so I call mine 3:20 abs.  ;)

The point of this is to do each excercise for 1 minute, and then switch to the next right away, thus giving yourself a full 5 minute ab workout.

Ex 1.  Lie with your back on the floor, straighten your legs, and begin lifting them about a foot to a foot and a half off the ground, almost like your walking but with your back on the ground.  Don't let your feet touch the ground, they should come as far down as possible without touching the ground.  As one foot goes down, the other shoudl be going up.  Do that for one minute.

Ex 2.  Put your legs straight into the air, and begin lifting your butt off the ground. It'll feel uncomfortable at first but you'll get used to it.  This works your high abs.  Make sure not to put your hans under your hips for support.  Do that for one minute.

Ex 3. Crunches.  Yup, just do crunches for one minute.  NOT SIT UPS....crunches.

Ex 4. Straighten both legs out, keeping them off the ground and together.  Bring them into your chest, or as far into your body as you can, and then straighten them out again.  Like excercise 1, make sure not to let your feet touch the ground, and keep them straight.  Do for one minute.

Ex. 5.  Straighten your legs up into the air again , but this time bring them down to one side of your body, like your twisting yourself on the way down almost.  Then to the other side, and back and forth you go.  Do for one minute.

Now feel the burn.  I normally try to do one set using 40 second intervals, and a second one doing 30 seconds intervals.  Trust me, you WILL feel the burn.

Hrm, honestly, I was so worried about my being in good enough shape for the entry PT, but its honestly nothing to worry about, it is all very easy, and   I know people are going to freak out anyways, but they are minimums, which actually does mean, if you do better than them, they CAN'T deny your enrollment based on poor physical performance,   but don't just waltz in either, its a career path, be as prepared as you can be, but don't kill yourself and don't slack off either, its never too late to start, but it can be too early! (burn out, give up, etc)

Jana said:
combat_medic said:
Pushups and situps are an ok exercise, but they are very hard on the body and there are many other exercises that are far better for targeting specific muscle groups and aren't as hard on your joints and back.

Oh yeah? how are push ups and situps hard on your body (i'm not meaning this in a rude way, just wondering cus i've never heard that)

As for sit-ups/push-ups being hard on the body, they are. Plain and simple. just like a stepper or elipital machine is easier on the joints then running up stairs, or actually running outside, they are a form of cheating. Also, free weights are much better than machines if you don't want to do push-ups, but nothing can replace the push-up, when preparing for training courses, b/c that's the exact excercise you will be expected to do, you can't tell your instructer that u can bench twice your own weight, and expect him to find you a bench press while everyone else is going counting off-down-up-down-up ;-).  But, for me personally, I had been going to the gym 3 days a week regularly for 6mos doing various strength training exercises, all the important major muscles and stabalizers and minor muscle groups as well, ( I was using the RCMP preparation for the RPAT as a guide), however, when i decided to focus more on preparing for BMQ and swapped the bench press for push-ups, i found that at the early stages, I would have to stop not because of muscle burn or fatigue, but b/c my joints would be unbearably sore, far before my muscles were taxed my joints were telling me to stop, this went away for me after about 5sessions worth of push-ups/sit-ups, (one session: 1 set of 35, 1 set of 25, 1 set of 'till burn-out')

I agree with drebk, nothing will improve your pushup total more than...pushups.  I have benched (in fact I find it hurts my left shoulder if I overdo them) a lot over the years and to be honest have done nothing but pushups since January and was pleasently surprized to find that my chest has actually grown.  Progressively add sets and reps and you will be amazed at your progress.  Doing too many situps can cause the overdevelopment of the hip flexor and can cause back problems.  Make sure you throw other ab exercises in but remember nothing will improve your sit up total like...situps.
Greg

Freight_Train said:
I agree with drebk, nothing will improve your pushup total more than...pushups.   I have benched (in fact I find it hurts my left shoulder if I overdo them) a lot over the years and to be honest have done nothing but pushups since January and was pleasently surprized to find that my chest has actually grown.   Progressively add sets and reps and you will be amazed at your progress.   Doing too many situps can cause the overdevelopment of the hip flexor and can cause back problems.   Make sure you throw other ab exercises in but remember nothing will improve your sit up total like...situps.
Greg

is it not also true though that if you don't have strong enough abs that you can get back problems from that as well?

Yes, you need to develop the core.  Sit ups are not actually that great of an ab exercise.  I actually had my hip flexors cramp up on me one day after I tested on them.  Hurt like hell. 

Not sure where you are starting from but there are ton's of resources on the web, this seems like a good one - http://www.netfit.co.uk/abdominals-web-site.htm
Pick your level and go!  Try to mix things up on a regular basis, even just changing the order of the exercises will "confuse" your muscles and keep things fresh.
Good luck,
Greg

Also, think about investing in a exercise ball if you don't like going to the gym, they are worth their weight in platinum for working out your core muscles, which are the cause of lots of injuries, too strong major muscles that overwork the weak stabalizers and down you go like a sack of taters, then just hop online and find the right excercises for your goals... oh, and it proabably helps to have a sibling that is a practicing physiotherapist to give u pointers and let u know when u are cheating =P

Try this one, I call them Holly's after Cory Holly who originally showed them to me at a seminar I attended.   He is a natural master bodybuilding champ.   You will need a chin up bar to do them.   Take a supinated grip, palms facing you, pull yourself up so that you are in a flexed arm hang with approx 90 degree angle on your arms and your eye's approximately even with the bar facing away from the wall.   Tuck your chin into your chest and bring your knee's up as you rotate your body up so that your back is approximately parallel to the floor.   Or as he describes them on his website, "Hanging Knee Raise (underhand grip on the chinning bar, bend arms at elbows slightly, raise knees above head through arms)"   I do 2 to 4 sets of only 8 reps as part of my ab routine and I definitely find them the most challenging.   I hope my description is clear enough, if you are finding them too easy, you are doing them wrong!
Greg

Greetings!
All good info this is a great topic!

Advice from a 35 year old fart Civi, and long time Martial Artist...
Don't underestimate the value of recovery and rest,  ditch diggers are seldom well built as they don't often allow time to rest from one day to another. 
Watch old Italian stonemasons work...efficient, well paced, and they do this till they are 80+, and even then capable of getting a death grip on yah.

As others on this topic have mentioned, working the upper body one day and work the lower the next is a good idea.
It keeps yah fresh, the blood pumping, allows for recovery, and like the old saying goes "often a change is as good as a rest".

Also keep it simple...I've never seen a workout routine that needed to be complex, and some of the best athletes in the world have gotten that way by good old fashioned free weights, and the regular old fashion "up's"  i.e...push-ups, chin-ups, and sit-ups.

Having said that some people need regular routine change to keep things from going stale..others don't.

My goal is to look up the requirements, and aim for 5 times the amount as a personal goal.

My old Modern Arnis instructor always drilled into us.."how you train is how you are going to react".
Other clubs couldn't touch us in martial ability.

Fin' have fun...it's not worth doing if yah can't have fun at it.
Cheers!
P.

I don't see why people get to worked up about the whole physical test of the application process, it really isn't that hard.

All you need to do is 19 sit-ups, 19 push-ups, 6 chin-ups (which isn't tested), step test, handgrip test,  and swim (which also isn't tested). To train for these doesn't take long, you could probably build up to these requirements in 8 weeks (2months).

Step Test: Run monday, wensday, friday for the first 3 weeks. About 3-4Km don't worry about time, pace yourself so you can make it there without stopping. If you have to jogg super slow so it's almost like you're walking. Week 4 take off for resting so you don't get injured. Week 5 run 3-4KM at a pace of 8:30 per 1.5KM (1mile). Week 6-8 take it up to 5km. If you have a gym pass, great! Go to the gym and use that stepmaster. It will be a big help.

Push-ups: Only thing to help do better in these is more and more push-ups. You can try push-up prymids (search for on google). Also you can build up your triceps.

Sit-ups: I'm sure everyone knows how to do these  :-\. More and more sit-ups will build you up.

Handgrip: Buy one of those little sand bag ball thinggys (search on google), I don't see the need why to though that handgrip test is pretty easy. Also try squeezing things often, like bike leavers ect.

Don't over do any of these you might get injured if you're not used to exercise.

Also strech for 15minutes EVERYDAY before you do anything/

first of all

having abs that show, dont mean anything, as long as you working out your abs you'll be fine.

if you wanna see them you gotta watch your diet , cut all that crap you eat, out of it, and you abs will start popping up.

Heres are my trades and my work out plan...
combat ing,
infantry soldier,
armored soldier...

i go to the gym 5 days a week (been doing that for almost 10 years) i do my regular work out plan,

at the end i do 1 set of sit ups (best # of reps in a minute, about 40) then i do 3 set of crunches (slow reps) and 3 sets of leg raises (slowl reps)

after i hit my chin ups (1 set of about 10 to 12) then i hit my push ups (1 set of about 40 reps) and finish up with a 32 minutes jog that gives me my 6 km (3.75 miles), sometimes ill go 10 km (6.25 miles) in 50 minutes or so (i dont do that 10 km run very often cause i hate running)

i try to hit my run's at least 4 times a weeks and maximum 6 times a week.

Try this routine for your pushups and situps, I got it off the net and it has done wonders for me.  I also have one for running, let me know if you want me to post that one too.

PHYSICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE I (Mon/Wed/Fri)
SETS OF REPETITIONS
WEEK #1: 4X15 PUSHUPS
4X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #2: 5X20 PUSHUPS
5X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #3,4: 5X25 PUSHUPS
5X25 SITUPS
3X4 PULL UPS
WEEK #5,6: 6X25 PUSHUPS
6X25 SITUPS
2X8 PULL UPS
WEEK #7,8: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
2X10 PULL UPS
WEEK #9: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
3X10 PULL UPS

I think if you add a good run on Tuesday and Thursday its a great work out plan.  IMHO  :)

Back