• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Application

shogun506

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be graduating from university this April and plan to apply (like everyone else in the world) as a DEO pilot. Currently I don't have any previous flight experience and I know even though they say you don't need any they probably want something on there. So my first question is, for anyone who has been accepted as a pilot or the like, is there a specific type of experience that would be more beneficial than others? I'm willing to do some type of license or other experience before I apply to strengthen my application but I don't want to go overboard and spend a fortune. Currently I'm thinking of enrolling in ground school and logging some sim hours before applying, but if that's not enough I might potentially also be willing to get a recreational pilot permit, but only if it would be counted as a plus on my application. I also have previous experience as reserve infantry, but have always dreamed of a career in the air force.

With the understanding that becoming DEO pilot is pretty difficult and lucky, I would even be willing to enrol into ROTP and rack up another degree if it means I can fulfil my ultimate goal of becoming a pilot. So my second question - does anyone know if ROTP accepts applicants with previous undergraduate degrees?

I'm also going to call into the recruiting office and see if they can answer some of these questions too but hopefully you guys can chip in.

Really no point in going ROTP if you have a degree.  The CF wants a degree - you have one - that's a check in the box.

The CF likes previous CF experience - you have it - another check.

The CF likes previous flying experience - notice I did not say RPL, PPL, CPL, or ATPL. - Just go out and experience some flying, gets some hands and feet, work towards being able to solo - that's really all you need - then you can get that check in the box.

Volunteer somewhere - check in box.

Play sports - any sport - check in box.

ETC ETC ETC

Keep in mind that you are not applying to be a Pilot - you applying to join the CF as an Officer.  Know what the CF is capable of, where they are and what they are doing around the world.  Come armed with a well-rounded application and let the chips fall.

As always Zoomie's advice is pretty bang on.

The only thing I'd add is be prepared to wait. You are starting down what is likely going to be a very long application process. My application process as a DEO Pilot applicant took close to 3 years from when I handed in my initial application to when I started BMOQ. Don't put your life on hold, make decisions as if the call is never going to come but never give up.

Good luck,

Beech

Back